What Word(s) Best Describes Each Presidential Candidate?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point, but only if we look deeply at the voting record can we be somewhat sure of the intent of the candidate. Too many times the opponent will point out just the surface issue. I think few people look deeply enough...we are just content to let the media feed us whatever hype they want to.
One does not have to look to deeply at Obama's record to find some troubling trends. He seems to abstain or miss many opportunities on controversial issues. Even when he has voted in favor of a bill, he has not been shy about criticising McCain for voting for the same bill. Fortunately for Obama, most people agree with you that it is a waste of time to examine a candidate's voting record closely.

You crack me up sometimes.

One does not have to look to deeply at Obama's record to find some troubling trends. He seems to abstain or miss many opportunities on controversial issues. Even when he has voted in favor of a bill, he has not been shy about criticising McCain for voting for the same bill. Fortunately for Obama, most people agree with you that it is a waste of time to examine a candidate's voting record closely.

I see your point, but only if we look deeply at the voting record can we be somewhat sure of the intent of the candidate. Too many times the opponent will point out just the surface issue. I think few people look deeply enough...we are just content to let the media feed us whatever hype they want to.

You did a great job of mis-quoting me.

By the way, try this link for a list of percentages of votes missed by each senator during the current congress. http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/110/senate/vote-missers/

Obama does not lead that list. Actually, he misses it by 111 total votes. McCain holds the title of "Most Votes Missed" currently.

Edited by True blue (and gold)

You crack me up sometimes.
Dittos.

You did a great job of mis-quoting me.
Sorry, I should have quoted Gunrunner instead of you.

However, I think that a candidate's voting record is by far the most important information that is available to voters Too many people wait too long to become interested in elections and then rely too much on what candidates say instead of what they have done. What most candidates say gives voters very little idea of what they will actually do if they are elected.

Is the Washingpost considered a slanted source? If not, here is a list of votes determined to be the most important by the WP and how each of our candidates voted.

Obama - 2 times "not voting"

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/key-votes/

McCain - 6 times "not voting"

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/m000303/key-votes/

I’m obviously just a misguided kid for forming opinions off of my previous close personal interaction.
At least you recognize it, that's half the battle. :D :devil:

On a side note, if you don’t care what anybody thinks than you should probably be less demanding of others. I don’t care what you think, and that’s why I’ve never asked for your opinion.
I didn't realize I was "demanding" anything of anyone. If you don't care what I think then why ask my opinion? As you know, that's exactly what you did.

All enmity aside, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Let’s agree to disagree, as I don’t really want to continue this argument.
Fine with me, I may disagree with you, but I'm sure if I ever met you I'd get along with you with zero problems. I'm really an easy going guy.

As for the “towering” comment, Obama is about 5 inches taller than McCain. Food for thought…:p
He may be taller, but that's where it ends. :bunny:

Is the Washingpost considered a slanted source? If not, here is a list of votes determined to be the most important by the WP and how each of our candidates voted.

Obama - 2 times "not voting"

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/o000167/key-votes/

McCain - 6 times "not voting"

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/members/m000303/key-votes/

Obama - Voted present 130 times as an Illinois State Senator. Declining to take firm positions is a tendency that Obama has shown throughout his political career.

In 1999, Barack Obama was faced with a difficult vote in the Illinois legislature — to support a bill that would let some juveniles be tried as adults, a position that risked drawing fire from African-Americans, or to oppose it, possibly undermining his image as a tough-on-crime moderate.

In the end, Mr. Obama chose neither to vote for nor against the bill. He voted “present,” effectively sidestepping the issue, an option he invoked nearly 130 times as a state senator. -
It’s Not Just ‘Ayes’ and ‘Nays’: Obama’s Votes in Illinois Echo

I think the nickname "Dodge" would fit Obama nicely.

Obama - Voted present 130 times as an Illinois State Senator. Declining to take firm positions is a tendency that Obama has shown throughout his political career.

In 1999, Barack Obama was faced with a difficult vote in the Illinois legislature — to support a bill that would let some juveniles be tried as adults, a position that risked drawing fire from African-Americans, or to oppose it, possibly undermining his image as a tough-on-crime moderate.

In the end, Mr. Obama chose neither to vote for nor against the bill. He voted “present,” effectively sidestepping the issue, an option he invoked nearly 130 times as a state senator. -
It’s Not Just ‘Ayes’ and ‘Nays’: Obama’s Votes in Illinois Echo

I think the nickname "Dodge" would fit Obama nicely.

Yet the citizens of Illinois voted him to the position of their US Senator. Hmmm.

Should the nickname "Dodge" now pass to McCain, as Obama has voted 111 more times than McCain during the current congress?

Should the nickname now pass to McCain, as Obama has voted 111 more times during the current congress?
If you want to try to make the case that McCain has missed votes to avoid taking politically tough positions, good luck.

If you want to try to make the case that McCain has missed votes to avoid taking politically tough positions, good luck.

According to your article, Obama cast over 4000 votes in his career in his state legislature. 130 (at the most) of those were "present" which is quite common (so says the article) in Illinois. That's 3.25% of his votes. As McCain was not a state senator, we cannot compare the two. The only comparisons that we can make are of their votes in the US Senate and their "not voting" numbers and yes/no votes on issues.

I personally don't claim to know the reasons why either of them missed votes in the US Senate or why they voted how they did on tough issues (though I am gaining insight on some of Obama's dilemmas by reading his book and hope to do the same with McCain's book that just arrived today). If you want to claim that for either of them, go ahead.