WYMT sports reporter tries to get a hit off of fastpitch pitcher

Derek Forrest from WYMT stood in the batters box against Abby Sears from North Laurel this past week to see what it was like. A former baseball player, he wanted to see if she had the stuff.

Jessica Adkins from Owensboro Catholic is the catcher in this video. All I can say is, .. "Derek, better you than me!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKdTgRrjeBU

I was told that out of about 75+ pitches, he did make contact 5 times!

I think baseball players are a bit surprised at how fast the ball gets upon them and how good pitchers can throw different pitches. The Cincinnati Enquirer went to Ryle last year and had their 9th region champ baseballers get in the box against Kirsten Allen. It didn't go well for the boys.

Been back hasn't he??? His woman must have let him come back home...

Dunno. I don't get to see WYMT regularly anymore. When I was living in their coverage area, Milam was still officially doing sales for WYMT and some sports for WKYT. I guess I'm out of the loop.

I think baseball players are a bit surprised at how fast the ball gets upon them and how good pitchers can throw different pitches. The Cincinnati Enquirer went to Ryle last year and had their 9th region champ baseballers get in the box against Kirsten Allen. It didn't go well for the boys.

I agree. Derek said his thought as soon as he got in the box was 'Man, she's awfully close'. The ball does get on them in a hurry and from a different angle than a baseball thrown overhand.

Dunno. I don't get to see WYMT regularly anymore. When I was living in their coverage area, Milam was still officially doing sales for WYMT and some sports for WKYT. I guess I'm out of the loop.

I head that the primary sports anchor left for University of the Cumberlands in the SID department, so there was a temporary vacancy and Milam is just filling that role in addition to his other duties until they get it filled. I always enjoyed him doing the sports.

It's to my understanding that Milam will be at WYMT as long as he wants. He filled the open position and seems to be in there for the long run.

Brandon Hensley (former Sports Anchor) is in fact down at the Cumberlands in the Sports Information Department, but not as the SID... just as a student assistant.

It's to my understanding that Milam will be at WYMT as long as he wants. He filled the open position and seems to be in there for the long run.

Brandon Hensley (former Sports Anchor) is in fact down at the Cumberlands in the Sports Information Department, but not as the SID... just as a student assistant.

I hope he stays. I really like Brian and think most enjoy seeing him on the air. I enjoy the way that Brian, Jeff and Derek cover the mountain kids. They really seem to enjoy what they are doing!

There haven't been too many others who are better advocates for high school sports in the mountains than Brian. He and WYMT have always done a great job, and on a shoestring budget. I hope the increases in gas prices don't cause them to shrink their coverage area.

There haven't been too many others who are better advocates for high school sports in the mountains than Brian. He and WYMT have always done a great job, and on a shoestring budget. I hope the increases in gas prices don't cause them to shrink their coverage area.

So far, so good. This kind of thing that they are doing with the 'Challenge the Sports Anchors' is a great idea that will give more kids coverage. All of their sports anchors / reporters have been friendly and accomodating with the kids and teams they cover. WYMT covered the entire state tournament and actually sent clips to other stations from various coverage areas who did not send a crew due to the gas prices. Hats off to them!

So Brandon is at The Cumberlands continuing his education? I was wondering where he had gone. Best of luck to him, I bet SID is right up his alley.