You're Walt: Do You Do This Deal?

Clyde

Marlins call. Once again they want to decrease payroll. They know they're going to have to pay their young stud SS soon.

They offer Hanley Ramirez but they want Jay Bruce.

Peter Gammons calls him one of the top 5 or 6 players in the game today.

Do you take the deal?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Marlins signed Hanley Ramirez to a multi-year contract earlier this season so....

Party pooper.

They now want to cut payroll. He's one of the contracts they want to get rid of.

I don't do the deal.

What do we do with Keppinger, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, Hairston Jr.?

I think the current management is going to make Jay Bruce the face of this franchise...

A middle infield of Hanley Ramirez & Brandon Phillips would be nasty, though.

No, why would the Reds take a player with a high salary, when they can keep Bruce (Who many believe will be a Hall of Famer) at a very low salary for the next few years.

I don't do the deal.

What do we do with Keppinger, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, Hairston Jr.?

I think the current management is going to make Jay Bruce the face of this franchise...

A middle infield of Hanley Ramirez & Brandon Phillips would be nasty, though.

The high salary is not a factor as you've already committed to trading Dunn, Griffey, Bronson, etc. You've got the money and you've got the chance to get a stud player who can also play a key defensive position. And he's only 24 years old.

I'll act like I didn't see Keppinger, AGon, and Hairston Jr in this discussion as a real reason you would pass.;)

The high salary is not a factor as you've already committed to trading Dunn, Griffey, Bronson, etc. You've got the money and you've got the chance to get a stud player who can also play a key defensive position. And he's only 24 years old.

I'll act like I didn't see Keppinger, AGon, and Hairston Jr in this discussion as a real reason you would pass.;)

I still don't do it. Bruce is 3 years younger, and has the potential to be just as good, or better than Ramirez.

It would be tough to turn down. Ramirez has proven himself on the big league level.

While we're all enamored with Jay Bruce and what he has done thus far, he still has not accomplished much on the major league level. So from that standpoint, maybe.

However, with all things considered (and yes, that includes Keppinger, Hairston and the rest of the Reds), I don't pull the trigger.

I still don't do it. Bruce is 3 years younger, and has the potential to be just as good, or better than Ramirez.

Clint Hurdle had potential as well, right?

Proven 24 year old SS with pop in his bat vs unproven but potentially stud-ish RFer.

I'd have to think long and hard about that one which is a compliment to both players.

Absolutely the high salary is a factor. People want to trade Griffey, Dunn & Bronson now because of their "high" salaries. Ramirez would be making every bit of that, maybe more. And after 5 or 6 more losing seasons, people would be running Hanley Ramirez (and his big contract) out of town too.

Now if they wanted to offer some of those young, live arms...well then we could talk.

Clint Hurdle had potential as well, right?

Proven 24 year old SS with pop in his bat vs unproven but potentially stud-ish RFer.

I'd have to think long and hard about that one which is a compliment to both players.

Ramirez has had two pretty good seasons. Even though I think he'll be a perennial All Star, I wouldn't actually call him a stud just yet.

If you did do the deal you would have to have in place or have plans to add a run-producing OFer if we assume Dunn and Griffey are gone. You can't have 3 Norris Hoppers.

Says who?

I'd love having 3 outfielders with speed who will hit .300+.

And if you're going to pay Hanley Ramirez bigtime money, he can drive in a few runs.

Absolutely the high salary is a factor. People want to trade Griffey, Dunn & Bronson now because of their "high" salaries. Ramirez would be making every bit of that, maybe more. And after 5 or 6 more losing seasons, people would be running Hanley Ramirez (and his big contract) out of town too.

Now if they wanted to offer some of those young, live arms...well then we could talk.

High salary is only a factor if you're not producing at a high salary level. Griffey and Arroyo are not. Dunn is debateable.

Your last comment is a good one. Who would the Marlins have to offer for you to trade #32?