KY. moves to open season on black bears

cvillecat

Though small in number, black bears have become a nuisance in some Appalachian communities — chasing tourists from campsites, eating from backyard trash cans and emptying dog food bowls on back porches. Now the bears could be fair game for hunters next year.

The Kentucky Wildlife Commission has agreed to a proposal to open a limited hunting season on the pesky bears, the target of complaints filed with wildlife officers.

The proposal, which now goes to a legislative committee for review is drawing opposition from animal rights groups, including the Humane Society.

Read more by going to http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/439983.html

The black bear population is rapidly growing in Lewis County as well. There has been numerous bear sightings over the past few years. I think a person should be able to kill a bear if it is in their yard. I had a friend that heard something on his back porch a while back and when he turned the porch light on there was a black bear looking him in the eye. Just think if it was one of his kids and they would have went outside, we need to be able to protect our own property against these unwanted animals.

The black bear population is rapidly growing in Lewis County as well. There has been numerous bear sightings over the past few years. I think a person should be able to kill a bear if it is in their yard. I had a friend that heard something on his back porch a while back and when he turned the porch light on there was a black bear looking him in the eye. Just think if it was one of his kids and they would have went outside, we need to be able to protect our own property against these unwanted animals.

I would rather be judged by twelve, then carried by six.

Another words, I would have shot the thing.

I am all for a Bear season on Kentucky. My father in law who lives in Greenup County has saw a Bear on a couple of occasions and I have heard of other sightings in Greenup Co. as well. These anti hunting/animal rights groups have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about. They come in for thier 15 minutes of fame, raise some "concern" (for lack of a more accurate term:irked:) with others that have no idea what they are talking about. A hunting season imo would drive the Bears back into the woods where they belong and adapt better rather than becoming a danger to humans and neighborhoods.

Our State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife knows the population of the animals and/or any Bear/human problems. They place limits and seasons on the hunts to control and benifit the wildlife population no matter what species.

I will also add that it is the dollars of the hunters and fishermen through licsense sales, certain taxes on equipment and other sportsmen funded programs that are paid for 100% by the sportsmen. No general tax dollars go to support the KDFW or any of it's prorams. So, all of the Animal Rights People, you ave not spent one cent to provide ad protect these animals, game or non game species alike. When you go out and enjoy watching wldlife....thank a hunter, we are the ones that paid for putting them there, not you.

To sum it all up I trust the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to study this and place any seasons that they see fit to allow. These (KDFW) are the people that study and deal with these type of things every day and not just when it may draw a news crew.

I am a card carrying member of P.E.T.A..............:D

"P"refer

"E"ating

"T"asty

"A"nimals

I am all for a Bear season on Kentucky. My father in law who lives in Greenup County has saw a Bear on a couple of occasions and I have heard of other sightings in Greenup Co. as well. These anti hunting/animal rights groups have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about. They come in for thier 15 minutes of fame, raise some "concern" (for lack of a more accurate term:irked:) with others that have no idea what they are talking about. A hunting season imo would drive the Bears back into the woods where they belong and adapt better rather than becoming a danger to humans and neighborhoods.

Our State Dept. of Fish and Wildlife knows the population of the animals and/or any Bear/human problems. They place limits and seasons on the hunts to control and benifit the wildlife population no matter what species.

I will also add that it is the dollars of the hunters and fishermen through licsense sales, certain taxes on equipment and other sportsmen funded programs that are paid for 100% by the sportsmen. No general tax dollars go to support the KDFW or any of it's prorams. So, all of the Animal Rights People, you ave not spent one cent to provide ad protect these animals, game or non game species alike. When you go out and enjoy watching wldlife....thank a hunter, we are the ones that paid for putting them there, not you.

To sum it all up I trust the Kentucky Dept. of Fish and Wildlife to study this and place any seasons that they see fit to allow. These (KDFW) are the people that study and deal with these type of things every day and not just when it may draw a news crew.

I am a card carrying member of P.E.T.A..............:D

"P"refer

"E"ating

"T"asty

"A"nimals

That's awesome, I would like to have a shirt with that on it and wear it to one of their rally's.

I would rather be judged by twelve, then carried by six.

Another words, I would have shot the thing.

I think he would have shot it to but he had just recently moved into the house and didn't have his guns there yet. It turned his his grill over and broke his screen door before it left.

I'm all for restoring native animals to Kentucky such as turkey, elk, and black bear. The problem with bears are people. A black bear is naturally shy and has a fear of man. However they are, in this area, still a novelty and people will feed them and try to get closer. Soon the bears lose their fear of man or even worse, begin to associate man with food. I spend a considerable amount of time in the woods alone on my property and I know it is just a matter of time before I run into to one. I'm hoping it will be wild and not one that has moved here from some park where the tourists have fed it to get it close enough to take a picture.

I think we should definitely hunt them where populations permit, and I would recommend that at any other time when one is spotted, yell, bang on something, or make a lot of noise in some way to frighten it. You just may be saving the bear's life and some human's as well.

Edited by Pepper II