KY. moves to open season on black bears

cvillecat

I'm all for restoring native animals to Kentucky such as turkey, elk, and black bear. The problem with bears are people. A black bear is naturally shy and has a fear of man. However they are, in this area, still a novelty and people will feed them and try to get closer. Soon the bears lose their fear of man or even worse, begin to associate man with food. I spend a considerable amount of time in the woods alone on my property and I know it is just a matter of time before I run into to one. I'm hoping it will be wild and not one that has moved here from some park where the tourists have fed it to get it close enough to take a picture.

I think we should definitely hunt them where populations permit, and I would recommend that at any other time when one is spotted, yell, bang on something, or make a lot of noise in some way to frighten it. You just may be saving the bear's life and some human's as well.

I believe that feeding bears should carry a min fine of $1000.

Whatever it takes. I do not want to have to carry a rifle everytime I go into the woods. I much prefer just yelling at it.

You may not have a choice if Obama is elected and 2 more jurors are as liberal as he is. You may have to give up your rifle. Didn't mean to threadjack. My neighbor's golden retriever who is 498 years old was attacked by a black bear according to her. I say hogwash, but there have been bears sighted nearby. The dog has a large bite in the nape of the neck. Maybe the bear sampled the dog and spit it out because it was old and nasty.

You may not have a choice if Obama is elected and 2 more jurors are as liberal as he is. You may have to give up your rifle. Didn't mean to threadjack. My neighbor's golden retriever who is 498 years old was attacked by a black bear according to her. I say hogwash, but there have been bears sighted nearby. The dog has a large bite in the nape of the neck. Maybe the bear sampled the dog and spit it out because it was old and nasty.

:thumb::thumb::thumb: very good point.

Thank God, we have another conservative on BGP, that brings the total up to around 10, with a margin of error of +/- 8.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well, if bears won't eat old, nasty things I should be safe.

• 2 weeks later...
It's official. Two days in December, ten total bears, males only, in Harlan, Letcher, and Pike Counties. http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/23999124.html

:thumb::thumb: Great news and thanks for the link, Pepper.

I would also advise anyone who is planning on hunting the December bear season to take caution. It may be wise to hunt with a partner and not go alone. I think you will be met by members of PETA who will be protesting the bear hunts. Hopefully, our fine folks at the KDFW will be on hand to make things safe for all parties involved.