Holmes 08/9 Schedule

I agree that the loss of Henderson is immense. He was a great player with the heart the size of (insert whatever word you like), but I think most would agree that Holmes lost more the year before and came back with an even better team, which I see as a possibility next year. EC is probably the most solid choice for number 2 because of their experience, and can beat anyone on a given night with those shooters as they almost did against MC. I think Holmes has the most upside to be #2 with talent, coaching, defense etc...J-town has the unknown of the transfer that didn't get to play with them last year but could be outstanding. Manual has the unknown of whether Kimbro plays with them or not (i have a hundred different stories). I also think GRC now has to be mentioned in the same sentence as these guys too. Should be an extremely fun year!

Well said.

Just saying. While Holmes lost a lot, they return more talent than they had last year. Before last season everyone asked the same things being questioned now. "How do you replace all that talent lost?" And I was the only one who said they'd be better this year than the previous. Same with this year.

The loss of Henderson will be HUGE but the addition of Housley makes that loss not so bad. Holmes will be much bigger this year and have more athleticism in their front court. And as far as the younger players go, Arnold played varsity regularly until he broke his foot right before the state tournament. He has been playing up in AAU ball though and holding his own so I don't have any doubt that he won't be a contributor this year.

EC is an easy team to pick for #2 but the thing with them is the only way they beat a much bigger athletic team (Holmes), is if they have a red hot shooting night like they did when they almost beat MC. They just don't have the size to rebound with the bigger teams outside of the younger Knipp.

Now I have not seen Holmes as much as you have, but did see both teams in the Sweet 16 the last two years.

The talent difference between this past year and the year before is not much different. The Hill, Rice, Jefferson group was very talented and athletic. Unlike this past season's team, there was no desire to play great defense, be unselfish or so it has been mentioned...it was even mentioned in the papers. I think the 06-07 team may have had more raw talent that included Henderson, than the team that made the finals this year.

It will be interesting to watch this Holmes team mature...

Now I have not seen Holmes as much as you have, but did see both teams in the Sweet 16 the last two years.

The talent difference between this past year and the year before is not much different. The Hill, Rice, Jefferson group was very talented and athletic. Unlike this past season's team, there was no desire to play great defense, be unselfish or so it has been mentioned...it was even mentioned in the papers. I think the 06-07 team may have had more raw talent that included Henderson, than the team that made the finals this year.

It will be interesting to watch this Holmes team mature...

Nice assessment. The biggest difference though is this group is not only more physically mature than those were at this stage, but also mentally as well, which is why I think this group is overall better.

• 2 weeks later...

Eta Rho, just curious, but how many of the current Holmes varsity team members that will be playing for the Bulldogs in the 08/09 season, played for another High School be it Freshmen, JV or even Varsity basketball at one point not all that long ago?

Eta Rho, just curious, but how many of the current Holmes varsity team members that will be playing for the Bulldogs in the 08/09 season, played for another High School be it Freshmen, JV or even Varsity basketball at one point not all that long ago?

I beleive 4. I know the new transfer Housley played at Newport and then Holy Cross. And the Johnson's both were at Taft. And im pretty sure there might be one more.

• 2 weeks later...
I beleive 4. I know the new transfer Housley played at Newport and then Holy Cross. And the Johnson's both were at Taft. And im pretty sure there might be one more.

I believe Housley played for Newport last year.

Just curious...why do you ask?