Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should KY classify softball

Should KY classify softball 28 members have voted

  1. 1. Should KY classify softball

    • Yes, KY should classify softball
      42%
      12
    • No, KY should not classify softball
      53%
      15
    • Not sure
      3%
      1

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

The past several years, the state tournament has been dominated by the larger schools. Not just the champion, but the top 1/2 is nearly all larger schools.

 

What say you BGP? Explain your reasoning and if you are for classification, how many classes would be sufficient?

  • Replies 41
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryle and Greenwood are large schools and account for the past 3 titles.

 

Owensboro Catholic and Reidland are not and accounted for 3 titles.

 

Calloway County is more average.

 

With the "numbers" game out of the way, high school softball is about pitching and hitting good pitching. Usually these go hand in hand. Larger schools may have more opportunity to get talented girls, but you see most of the same 8 to 10 schools that are at the tournament every year. Not because of the size of the school, but because of highly competitive feeder programs and pitcher development.

 

However, You get to the tournament and you have to play lots of games. That could give larger schools an advantage of going to a number 2 or 3 w/o much of a drop off.

 

I voted for no class.

Yes. I don't understand why track is classified and baseball, softball, and soccer is not. Either class every sport (basketball included) or none. There is no justification for classing some and not others.

  • Author
Ryle and Greenwood are large schools and account for the past 3 titles.

 

Owensboro Catholic and Reidland are not and accounted for 3 titles.

 

Calloway County is more average.

 

With the "numbers" game out of the way, high school softball is about pitching and hitting good pitching. Usually these go hand in hand. Larger schools may have more opportunity to get talented girls, but you see most of the same 8 to 10 schools that are at the tournament every year. Not because of the size of the school, but because of highly competitive feeder programs and pitcher development.

 

However, You get to the tournament and you have to play lots of games. That could give larger schools an advantage of going to a number 2 or 3 w/o much of a drop off.

 

I voted for no class.

 

 

You make some excellent points on pitcher development. However, Reidland is one of the few exceptions. O'Cath is a mid sized school in class 2. If we are admitting that come tournament time the large schools have an advantage, why not classify? Out of the 14 state champions, how many were in what we now call class 1 for all state awards?

I'm def for No Class! I just feel that it means more to be the ONLY state champ. I know many of the small schools feel they don't get a fair chance at times due to the lack of players to pick from, etc. That may be a big challenge, but life is about overcoming them and it would put fire under my butt (as a player or a coach) just to try and beat a bigger school. Just so you could say, "We may be small, but we can still play with the rest of the big dawgs!". I also came from a time when All-State was 1st Team All-State, 2nd Team All-State, & Honorable Mention. If you made those teams, you really did something. Now it's classed. I understand more girls get recognized this way and I'm not saying it isn't an honor, but I still feel it meant so much more to me to make the ONLY 1st Team All-State.

 

This contradicts my opinion about No Classes (which I'm still all for), but if softball is gonna split the All-State teams, then why not go all the way and split the state championship? Seems like they started, then forgot to finish. I liked how it was before the classed all-state teams, but that's just me.

 

Many teams have never been to the state tournament. Is it because they are too small? Who knows, but if they do get there in the current format, it really does mean the world to them.

Many teams have never been to the state tournament. Is it because they are too small? Who knows, but if they do get there in the current format, it really does mean the world to them.

If that were true, there would be no one attending the All A State Basketball Tournament.

 

Go to Lyon County. Or to Cumberland County. Or to Ballard Memorial. Or Campbellsville and ask their players and fans if the words "Class 1A" on their state championship banner diminish the title they just won. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who thought it did.

 

Most of the people who don't want to see classes either come from a large school, played sports at a large school, or have a child at a large school.

  • Author
If that were true, there would be no one attending the All A State Basketball Tournament.

 

Go to Lyon County. Or to Cumberland County. Or to Ballard Memorial. Or Campbellsville and ask their players and fans if the words "Class 1A" on their state championship banner diminish the title they just won. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who thought it did.

 

Most of the people who don't want to see classes either come from a large school, played sports at a large school, or have a child at a large school.

 

 

I agree. However, I am a bit of an exception. I played at a large school my children attend(ed) and play(ed) at a large school, but I am for classification. I just like to see the playing field leveled off a little bit for the smaller schools.

No Jose.

Guilty as charged Scribe. I attended and played at a large school. And I do agree that many that don't want classes are probably from larger schools. It has nothing to do with my school or how large it is as it may be to others, but I like how it is now & feel everyone is always trying to change things that aren't broken (not in my eyes at least). I didn't mean that an "All A" banner didn't mean anything. It does mean a lot. I guess I'm set in my ways when it comes to this subject. I've heard many arguements along the way in years past, but I still feel the way it is now is best.

You make some excellent points on pitcher development. However, Reidland is one of the few exceptions. O'Cath is a mid sized school in class 2. If we are admitting that come tournament time the large schools have an advantage, why not classify? Out of the 14 state champions, how many were in what we now call class 1 for all state awards?

 

Sorry, I thought Owensboro Catholic had been in the "All A".

 

Small schools have such a greater advantage of competing against the larger schools in softball than in other sports. For instance, Walton Verona has a strong, young team that could make runs at regional titles for the next several years.

 

Region 1 is small school dominant with Reidland, Heath, Ballard Memorial, and Hickman County. 5 of 8 schools in the regional tournament were "All A" schools.

 

If it is all about giving smaller schools a chance, then maybe a change in the playoff structure could do this will still crowning a true state champion.

I agree with the Scribe to an extent. It does not make sense to classify track and not the other smaller sports. I am a bit sentimental toward leaving basketball as is, though I am not sure I can make a rational argument to support it.

Sorry, I thought Owensboro Catholic had been in the "All A".

 

Small schools have such a greater advantage of competing against the larger schools in softball than in other sports. For instance, Walton Verona has a strong, young team that could make runs at regional titles for the next several years.

 

Region 1 is small school dominant with Reidland, Heath, Ballard Memorial, and Hickman County. 5 of 8 schools in the regional tournament were "All A" schools.

 

If it is all about giving smaller schools a chance, then maybe a change in the playoff structure could do this will still crowning a true state champion.

And Region 2 is the exact opposite with small schools unable to get past Christian County and Hopkins Central. Region 4 is big-school heavy also.

 

I don't advocate handing out trophies to everyone, but I can't see where three classes would hurt, especially since other sports are already classified.

Yes. I don't understand why track is classified and baseball, softball, and soccer is not. Either class every sport (basketball included) or none. There is no justification for classing some and not others.

 

Larger populations increase the talent pool for a track team. Competitive state track teams have many members that participate on a wide variety of events. To me, it makes sense to class track because population would make a big difference.

 

Whereas I wouldn't expect golf to need to be classed, just because of the nature of the number of players on the team and the likelihood of competition independent upon school size. In my eyes I think the same about softball. The teams that make it come from areas where you have large numbers and highly competitive summer programs. I see the difference being that more location than size, the smaller schools are likely more rural and have difficultly getting highly competitive summer programs, unless they travel.

 

Was/Is soccer not classed because of the number of teams there were/are competing in soccer?

Larger populations increase the talent pool for a track team. Competitive state track teams have many members that participate on a wide variety of events. To me, it makes sense to class track because population would make a big difference.

 

Whereas I wouldn't expect golf to need to be classed, just because of the nature of the number of players on the team and the likelihood of competition independent upon school size. In my eyes I think the same about softball. The teams that make it come from areas where you have large numbers and highly competitive summer programs. I see the difference being that more location than size, the smaller schools are likely more rural and have difficultly getting highly competitive summer programs, unless they travel.

 

Was/Is soccer not classed because of the number of teams there were/are competing in soccer?

If there is a sport that cries out for classification, it's soccer. Smaller schools don't have a chance and have not fared well at the state tournament level.

 

The track arguement doesn't hold water because Bardstown has won four straight Class A titles. Track titles are won with depth in the field and running events.

 

Football puts 11 people on the field. Football is classed. Baseball and softball put 9 on the field. It's not classed. The same with soccer.

 

Class them all or don't class any.

I have been on the fence on this issue and am looking to be swayed. I must say again that Scribe's point of view seems to make the most sense.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.