Minor League Baseball in Your City

There are many MLB Minor League programs, located in areas that draw attendance to sustain their franchise. Some states or areas, seem to have better attendance, regardless of being competitive.

1) What cities do you know, that can support a Minor League program?

2) What would be needed, to have one in or near your city?

3) How many have attend games in Lexington, Louisville or Florence?

4) How many live close enough, you could attend these game but don't, why?

5) Is Minor League baseball popular enough, for fans in Kentucky to support?

Thoughts, comments and suggestions.....

Pikeville used to have minor league baseball.

I love going to minor league games, they are good family fun and always have a great atmosphere.

Pikeville is where Greag Maddux got his start, as you know. While overall large in size, the population in Pikeville is small. In addition competing with local schools and even a college, is going to limit attendance.

What do you think were some of the reasons, the Cubs left the area and moved to another?

Pikeville is where Greag Maddux got his start, as you know. While overall large in size, the population in Pikeville is small. In addition competing with local schools and even a college, is going to limit attendance.

What do you think were some of the reasons, the Cubs left the area and moved to another?

I am surprised Pikeville even had a minor league team at that time, but I think it was moved because of the population and the lack of growth in the city. When the Cubs team was there, there wasn't a lot in Pikeville, so they probably moved to a city in which there was a bigger population and more supprt from the audience. Since then Pikeville has expanded and population has grown.

What city did that minor league team eventually move too?

I always felt like Paducah could support minor league baseball, but Marion Ill. just got a club an hour up the road.

Bowling Green has broken ground on a 4,000 seat stadium and is in negotiations to move Tampa's Southern League team in Columbus there for 2009. I think minir league baseball in Bowling Green will go over well. The new stadium also gives Bowling Green a chance to bid on events such as the KHSAA State Tournament and All-A State Tournament.

I always felt like Paducah could support minor league baseball, but Marion Ill. just got a club an hour up the road.

Bowling Green has broken ground on a 4,000 seat stadium and is in negotiations to move Tampa's Southern League team in Columbus there for 2009. I think minir league baseball in Bowling Green will go over well. The new stadium also gives Bowling Green a chance to bid on events such as the KHSAA State Tournament and All-A State Tournament.

That could be a win/win situation.

I have gone to a couple game in Florence and watched the Florence Freedom. But, I am not going to lie, I have never gone there to actually watch the game. It's usually because we get a group of people to go on Thirsty Thursday.

I enjoy thirsty Thursday at the Lexington Legends game!

How about Owensboro or Henderson?

I think the close proximity to Evansville would hurt Henderson's chances. But I don't see any reason a city the size of Owensboro, especially with its deep HS baseball history, couldn't support a team.