St.X/CAL Predictions

On paper, this is David vs. Goliath. X has a powerful line-up with the potential to put up big runs in a hurry. They have a senior dominated defense that is one of the best in the state and a strong pitching staff. With that said, people didn't give CAL a chance to be in this situation. After watching them play a couple times this year, they are small and don't have a lot of power. However, they find ways to win. They are as good as anyone that I have seen at playing small ball and manufacturing runs. They put the ball in play and force you to play defense.

I don't know a lot about the CAL pitching staff, but I know they used 3 different pitchers tonight against Trinity. X will likely come with senior right-hander Kyle Just who has a decent fastball and pretty good curve. WHo is CAL likely to throw?

What does CAL have to do tomorrow night to pull off the upset? What does X have to do to avoid the upset? What are everyone's thoughts on this match-up?

Pitching is key for X. If Just can throw a nice game and only give up 1 or 2 runs the entire game, then I would feel X is in pretty good shape. Offense should score beyond 1 or 2 runs. As for CAL, pitching will hold the key. CAL must have a stellar pitching game to stay in the game against the Tigers. If CAL gets rocked early, it may be a bad situation. Pitching, Pitching and defense will win this game for either team. Both are capable, yet I have to give the edge to the Tigers.

The talk I heard right after the Eastern win was that Nate Grayson would be the starter against Trinity since the Rocks had already seen Just this year. It will be interesting to see who gets the start...whoever it is will be on a short leash as Mosby is eligible to pitch after a day's rest.

CAL is a clever team, maximizing their ability using a lot of tools, and is a big underdog with nothing to lose. CAL’s coaches are doing a great job. Their win against Trinity was probably their biggest of their history? A post I made after the Trinity vs. CAL said:

“Give credit to CAL for playing smart against a team that clearly out-matched them. They hugged the plate with the batter's feet over the batter's box line to try to affect the effectiveness of Trinity's pitchers. They bunted wisely. The used less "talented" pitching to try to mess up the timing and rhythm of Trinity's hitters. They had nothing to lose, but used everything that they had. They are a scary team to use clever tools to beat the "big dog." St. X better be ready. CAL has everything to gain and a lot of tricks up their sleeve.”

The region is not finished yet…and CAL would like something to say about it. St. X needs to be ready and respectful of their opponent. Honor CAL with their best performance. St. X pitchers need to be prepared for the CAL batters hugging the plate. St. X batters and pitchers need to try to size up the umpire behind the plate. Didn’t Ted Williams say that there were 3 strike zones? The pitcher’s, the batter’s, and the ump’s? The infielders need to be ready for the bunt. St. X must keep their cool and trust their ability. Getting rattled or pressing could make things worse. St. X batters need to be prepared for different speeds from different CAL pitchers. Sometimes trying to hit a pitcher that throws significantly slower, like mid 60’s, can be harder than hitting the 88 mph fastball. CAL's cather didn't seem to have a cannon for an arm, but was very, very accurate with his throws. St. X might benefit in their pre-game talk to say how playing teams with different strength’s and skills will make us a better team. To win championships, a team needs to be able to win against different types of teams in different circumstances. I think PRP got a surprise against Shelby County in last year’s state semi-final.

Good luck to Tigers. The 7th region tournament has been very exciting with some great games. With “one game and you’re out,” a lot can happen. Hate to see the tournament end.

I think X needs to come out and jump on CAL early. A lot of it depends on which X line-up shows up, it seem all year they either get a couple hits or a ton of hits. I think if X is agressive at the plate in the early going and can jump on CAL from the start and hopefully rattle them then they will have a good chance to win their 2nd regional championship in 3 yrs. Even though X has one many games in the last couple of at bats this season and they are one of the best teams around at manufacturing 1 or 2 runs in the last inning, I think the longer X lets CAL hang around, the more the advantage to CAL.

Should be an exciting game with a lots of offense. A lot of people didn't give CAL a chance to be here, but they have slain one giant and will look to do it again tonight.

Take a compliment Riverside... don't make it out to be something it's not. St. X is a really good team and should win easily... especially after the emotional ride/peak CAL has already been on.

Xgrad,

That was about the most complimentary post about X I've seen from you. I think you threw River for a loop.:D