Thoughts on Mock Drafts - '08

Most mocks I've seen lately have Seattle taking Rashard Mendenhall... I didn't really get to see Illinois play a lot this season, does anyone have any info on him?

Good size and speed (5'11 220, 4.5). Also has good hands out of the backfield, important in Holgrem's West Coast offense. He has big play ability and is a strong runner, both inside and outside of the tackle box. He is solid as a ball carrier too,not too many fumbling problems with him.

He played in the Illinois spread, which means he will have to adjust to Holgrem's scheme, but he has the advantage of learning how to block blitzers and run patterns because of what the spread requires. He could be a solid replacement for Alexander.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see. He has a big arm, but that is the only advantage that he has on Ryan. Ryan is bigger and doesn't have the injury history. Also, don't be surprised if that Woderlic is closer than you think (no way an NFLteam chooses based on that anyway).

I think one thing that will work against Brohm is the fact that he struggled this season in Kragthorpe's offense, which is closer to a pro-style offense than Coach Petrino's.

You are way, way, way OFF....

Brian is 6'4" and about 230 and change right now. Matt is 6'5" 220 lbs. Brian's injury history was two very flukish injuries, and particularly this season he proved his mettle. What I find most comical about your post, is that you said Brian struggled in the more "pro-style" system. First, it helped Brian, by showing that he can convert to a brand new system in one season. Next, check out this statline...4,024 yards, 65.1%, 30 td's, 152.3 rating.....struggled, are you sure? Now, Mr. Ryan, 4,507 yards (played two more games than Brian), 59.3%, 31 td's, a stellar 19 int's, and a rating of 127.05.....this comparison is really a joke.

Most mocks I've seen lately have Seattle taking Rashard Mendenhall... I didn't really get to see Illinois play a lot this season, does anyone have any info on him?

Very good player with a lot of upside. He stood out against OSU and made some nice plays against USC.

Brian is 6'4" and about 230 and change right now. Matt is 6'5" 220 lbs. Brian's injury history was two very flukish injuries, and particularly this season he proved his mettle. What I find most comical about your post, is that you said Brian struggled in the more "pro-style" system. First, it helped Brian, by showing that he can convert to a brand new system in one season. Next, check out this statline...4,024 yards, 65.1%, 30 td's, 152.3 rating.....struggled, are you sure? Now, Mr. Ryan, 4,507 yards (played two more games than Brian), 59.3%, 31 td's, a stellar 19 int's, and a rating of 127.05.....this comparison is really a joke.

We'll see. :D

I didn't look at the whole thing, but in the top 5, they have two picks that I don't see materializing.

KC has Brodie Croyle and they believe in him. They will not take Brohm. They have too many holes to risk another QB this high. They may wait and get a guy later to push Croyle, maybe a guy like Eric Ainge in the 5th or 6th round, but not Brohm that high.

Croyle wont last. I see them taking a QB with their early pick.

Croyle wont last. I see them taking a QB with their early pick.

I don't see KC giving up on Croyle after one year and giving top 5 money to a QB with the numerous holes they have on their team. I'm not sold on Croyle either, but the team has invested time and money into him. They will give him more time.

This team was in the playoffs last year and they still have LJ. They will address the o-line considering they have lost Willie Roaf and Will Shields to retirement over the last two years. Drafting a QB says you are rebuilding...I don't think that is KC's mindset because of their recent playoff birth.

Mel Kiper released his initial mock draft for 2008. Matt Ryan goes 3 to the Falcons. Brian Brohm...not in the first round.

:scared:

He has inside info and appearently, scouts don't like Brohm.

Incidently, Woodson is not in the first round either, but I know you will find the Brohm piece interesting.

GO TO TOWN!!! :fight:

^ That's not at all from what I have been told from the "horses" mouth so to speak. Again, I would love to see Brian go #1, if not, I don't really care. I have watched countless hours of football, and know that Matt doesn't bring nearly what Brian brings to the table. That said, if Brian does drop, he'll go to Minnesota....that's awesome, IMO. Also, if you could, go back and see where Mel thought Jay Cutler would get drafted at THIS time after his last season :sssh:

the last three games:

644 yards, 3 td's, 5 int's, 6 sacks, 3 fumbles

Take away one poor performance against Chicago and he has 3 TD's and 2 Int's during that time...but, you did a nice job of selective analysis...:D

Take a look at his numbers over their last seven games...

120/184, 65.2%, 1311 Yds, 7 TD, 7 Int

Take away that bad game against Chicago...

102/155, 65.8%, 1062 Yds, 7 TD, 4 Int

The facts are there...he showed significant improvement in his first year as a starter. He's a young guy with a lot of potential. But, more importantly, the Vikings and Childress, in particular, are really high on him. They chose to go into this season with him as the guy and the stuck with him and played better as the season progressed...there is no reason to think they'll suddenly change.

You may be right, but I don't think you are. I don't see hoping for Brohm to fall to Minnesota as anything more than wishful thinking at this point, because they won't draft a QB in round 1. Period. They like Jackson and he showed some significant improvement...they have more pressing needs than to spend a first rounder on a QB. For example, how much would adding a big time WR prospect to the equation help Jackson's development?

We'll see come draft day I suppose, but I'd feel comfortable betting that Minnesota won't draft a QB in round 1, if all three guys are available when they pick.

The Walter Football link has Keenan Burton projected to go to Indy in the fourth round...that would be a nice place for him to land. Assuming Marvin Harrison doesn't play forever, I think Burton and Anthony Gonzalez could emerge as a pretty solid duo to complement Reggie Wayne in that offense...that's a pick that would make sense for the Colts. Odds are it won't happen, I know, but that's what these mock drafts are for...just to consider different scenarios.

^ That's not at all from what I have been told from the "horses" mouth so to speak. Again, I would love to see Brian go #1, if not, I don't really care. I have watched countless hours of football, and know that Matt doesn't bring nearly what Brian brings to the table. That said, if Brian does drop, he'll go to Minnesota....that's awesome, IMO. Also, if you could, go back and see where Mel thought Jay Cutler would get drafted at THIS time after his last season :sssh:

Actually, if my memeory serves me correctly, Cutler was always on Kiper's Big Board. Guys come from out of nowhere, but not QBs.

I'll be honest, I like Brohm. I think he may end up being a better pro than Ryan. I have watched a ton of film as well from QBs over the last few years and I think Brohm is a good QB. To say Brian Brohm is head and shoulders better than Ryan is a drastic over-statement. He is not; regardless of our opinions on the subject. The pro scouts say differently; it is that simple. That is my point. You can not find a reputable mock draft that would say anything else and the combine may not change that.

So, as I said before, we'll see! :thumb:

To clarify a little further on Minnesota...it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings attempted to get a guy like Donovan McNabb or Derek Anderson, if possible and reasonable...they're just not going to draft one of the big three in the first round if any of them are available at that time. I've already went over the improvement Jackson showed in the second half of his first full season as starter and his second season in the NFL...remember, it takes some time for a guy to develop into an NFL QB.

Now, think about Brad Childress. He's heading into year three and with their defense and Adrian Peterson's emergence, the expectations are going to be much higher...if the Vikings bomb next season, he could be out of a job. He may very well try to acquire a good, veteran QB like McNabb, or a somewhat proven guy like Anderson...but, he's not going to pick a rookie QB to run his team in a crucial season for his coaching career. He's going to stick with a guy who has some experience and showed significant improvement...on top of that, he's not going to waste a first round pick on a QB to sit on the bench for a year when his job could be at stake and he could use that same pick to add an immediate impact and fill a need somewhere else.

To clarify a little further on Minnesota...it wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings attempted to get a guy like Donovan McNabb or Derek Anderson, if possible and reasonable...they're just not going to draft one of the big three in the first round if any of them are available at that time. I've already went over the improvement Jackson showed in the second half of his first full season as starter and his second season in the NFL...remember, it takes some time for a guy to develop into an NFL QB.

Now, think about Brad Childress. He's heading into year three and with their defense and Adrian Peterson's emergence, the expectations are going to be much higher...if the Vikings bomb next season, he could be out of a job. He may very well try to acquire a good, veteran QB like McNabb, or a somewhat proven guy like Anderson...but, he's not going to pick a rookie QB to run his team in a crucial season for his coaching career. He's going to stick with a guy who has some experience and showed significant improvement...on top of that, he's not going to waste a first round pick on a QB to sit on the bench for a year when his job could be at stake and he could use that same pick to add an immediate impact and fill a need somewhere else.

:thumb:

Having had a good buddy of mine go through the draft a few years back as a high prospect, I know that promises and overstatements of draft position are a part of the process. While we will have to wait and see, right now some of the projections of where guys may land just seem off.

I hope Brohm goes #1 because I think that is good for Kentucky football, but the chances of that happening are small right now. I think there are plenty of good situations for him (Carolina, Chicago, who knows even Green Bay), but some places just don't seem to be a good match (like KC and Minnesota with their current QB situations).

:thumb:

Having had a good buddy of mine go through the draft a few years back as a high prospect, I know that promises and overstatements of draft position are a part of the process. While we will have to wait and see, right now some of the projections of where guys may land just seem off.

I hope Brohm goes #1 because I think that is good for Kentucky football, but the chances of that happening are small right now. I think there are plenty of good situations for him (Carolina, Chicago, who knows even Green Bay), but some places just don't seem to be a good match (like KC and Minnesota with their current QB situations).

For the record, I think this debate about Brohm is a moot point anyway. I think he'll be gone before Minnesota picks...