Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Owsley County's Wallace Bates steps down

Featured Replies

He sure did. He was also a excellent vollyball coach. I hope he does well where life takes him.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a chance to talk to Wallace, he stated that he was willing to stay on and finish out the season but, after resigning as teacher he was told he wasn't needed as coach.

I believe Coach Bates resigned as a teacher and coach to take another job, to recoperate and spend more time with his family. If he took a job in Hazard and came back to Booneville to coach in the evenings, this would not accomplish what he told the administrators; it would be more time spent away from his family.

Coach Cornett, Mason and Charlie Turner and statistician Mike Turner(which played under a successful Charlie Turner team in the 80's) will be sitting on the bench the rest of the season. Coach Cornett and Mason have been helping the entire season and being a fan as Coach Turner will be assisting them as he did the boys back in 2005 and turned out to be successful then as well.

Coach Bates left both the coaching job and teaching job on his own for personal and professional reasons. Being able to spend more time with his family and a more suited working atmosphere was preferred by Coach Bates.

I predict that the administration was surprised and upset that Coach Bates left in the middle of the school season and especially the basketball season as well.

Coach Cornett, Mason and Charlie Turner and statistician Mike Turner(which played under a successful Charlie Turner team in the 80's) will be sitting on the bench the rest of the season. Coach Cornett and Mason have been helping the entire season and being a fan as Coach Turner will be assisting them as he did the boys back in 2005 and turned out to be successful then as well.

Coach Bates left both the coaching job and teaching job on his own for personal and professional reasons. Being able to spend more time with his family and a more suited working atmosphere was preferred by Coach Bates.

I predict that the administration was surprised and upset that Coach Bates left in the middle of the school season and especially the basketball season as well.

 

:thumb:

I beleive the Lady Owls will be alright, they just need to take in everything and accept things now. I attend the game in Powell and I do beleived that they played hard and to beat it all, they lost more at home than what they did at Stanton.

Hang in there Lady Owls, ya'll be fine!!!!

I had a chance to talk to Wallace, he stated that he was willing to stay on and finish out the season but, after resigning as teacher he was told he wasn't needed as coach.

 

I really think that you have received incorrect information. There seems to be a lot of that out there. It seems that lots of people knew that the Lady Owls would be loosing a coach several weeks ago--

I hope that the coaching drama in Owsley like has occurred in the past years(boys and girls) settles down so that the attention can focus on the student athletes...not adults.

I hope that the coaching drama in Owsley like has occurred in the past years(boys and girls) settles down so that the attention can focus on the student athletes...not adults.

 

I really do think that the focus is on the student athletes.

I really do think that the focus is on the student athletes.

 

I agree. The Owls have just been unlucky in finding a coach that is willing to stay either for personal or professional reasons. Dating back to the 2002 season all Owls coaches except maybe one have left due to more personal than administration related reasons. Hopefully that has changed with the hire in Coach Noble.

The Lady Owls have not been involved or been victims of this. Coach Bates has been successful since Coach Paul Green left in 2005 to take a higher ranked administration job in Lee County. Coach Green was successful and coached at Owsley since the late 90's so it has been 10+ years and the girls just went through two coaches. The Lady Owls will bounce back quick and reload and refresh throughout this season and the next seasons to come.

IMO the Lady Owls will have to look out of the county to find their next head coach unless one of the assistants on the bench are starting to enjoy the sideline a little more or missing it;). The Lady Owls should find some takers because there are a nice bunch of young and more experienced than most middle school level players that should help any coach's choice in coming and staying around for the next 5 years.

I agree. The Owls have just been unlucky in finding a coach that is willing to stay either for personal or professional reasons. Dating back to the 2002 season all Owls coaches except maybe one have left due to more personal than administration related reasons. Hopefully that has changed with the hire in Coach Noble.

The Lady Owls have not been involved or been victims of this. Coach Bates has been successful since Coach Paul Green left in 2005 to take a higher ranked administration job in Lee County. Coach Green was successful and coached at Owsley since the late 90's so it has been 10+ years and the girls just went through two coaches. The Lady Owls will bounce back quick and reload and refresh throughout this season and the next seasons to come.

IMO the Lady Owls will have to look out of the county to find their next head coach unless one of the assistants on the bench are starting to enjoy the sideline a little more or missing it;). The Lady Owls should find some takers because there are a nice bunch of young and more experienced than most middle school level players that should help any coach's choice in coming and staying around for the next 5 years.

 

Why???

Alot of people had an idea that Coach Bates would be leaving. I think the timing was the surprise. Owsley County needs to get the stability back and concentrate on the girls and the basketball season. I am sure the loss to Estill County was a direct result of the changes.

I agree. The Owls have just been unlucky in finding a coach that is willing to stay either for personal or professional reasons. Dating back to the 2002 season all Owls coaches except maybe one have left due to more personal than administration related reasons. Hopefully that has changed with the hire in Coach Noble.

The Lady Owls have not been involved or been victims of this. Coach Bates has been successful since Coach Paul Green left in 2005 to take a higher ranked administration job in Lee County. Coach Green was successful and coached at Owsley since the late 90's so it has been 10+ years and the girls just went through two coaches. The Lady Owls will bounce back quick and reload and refresh throughout this season and the next seasons to come.

IMO the Lady Owls will have to look out of the county to find their next head coach unless one of the assistants on the bench are starting to enjoy the sideline a little more or missing it;). The Lady Owls should find some takers because there are a nice bunch of young and more experienced than most middle school level players that should help any coach's choice in coming and staying around for the next 5 years.

:thumb::thumb:

I truly believe that Superintendent Turner is committed to doing the absolute best for all students (including student-athletes) in Owsley County. I feel that she will do whatever is necessary in order to get a highly qualified coach that can lead an extremely talented group of girls into the future. She has already convinced her husband to help out with the team the rest of the season. ---I personally feel that she has already helped bring stability to the boys program, as for the first time in years a coach is in place that looks to be around a while (Coach Noble). She has also brought back the band, and "The Palace" looks the best that I have ever seen. She is a true supporter of the entire academic/athletic program. ---I think that she probably already has in mind a replacement for next season. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. -- As for this year, the girls can still have a lot of success. They just need a little confidence. Hopefully, Coach Turner can catch fire-in-a-bottle ala 2005.

Why???

 

I don't see anyone in the system being qualified or interested besides the coaches on the bench at this time.

I know there are some potential coaches in the area but I look for an experienced coach to come in and be more than qualified and interested from a near by county. Possibly a past head coach in Coach Turner might find a new passion and stay in the system or an interested parent would be an option but that may be taking a long shot. Not a fact, like I said "IMO".

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.