December 20, 200718 yr I am so tired of "UK Fans" calling for the head of BCG It doesnt take much thinking and critical analyzing to see why Kentucky's season has gotten off to such a rocky start. Coach has taken over a team with a depleted roster, a poor work ethic (something I dont think future players will have if theyre brought in by BCG), and a myriad of injuries that has kept him from being able to field his entire team yet. I dont understand the logic in his detractors at all. The guy can coach! He had one of the nation's top teams last year. He had one of the nations best players last year. He out coached Bobby Knight, Ricky P, and others last year! Look at what Coach has done at his last two jobs. He took over an extremely poor UTEP program and quickly turned them around and took them to the NCAA tournament. He took over a poor Texas AM program, and turned them into an elite basketball program with a Sweet 16 visit and a top 10 recruit coming in. He needs time. When Pitino came in as coach in the late 80's - he too took over a team that had been left in shambles by Eddie Sutton. He did not take the team to the NCAA his first couple of years but in his third year he was a miracle play by Duke away from the Final Four, and then in 93 - he took them to a final four. GIVE BCG TIME! He has great recruits coming in. Deandre Liggins and Darrius Miller are going to be elite players from the get go. How many times have we went on Rivals and seen that Kentucky was not even listed on the top recruits list...and now with Coach G, almost all the premier players are at least interested in coming to Lexington. I support Coach Gillepsie and I can not wait until he has us cutting down the nets. It is going to happen. We have one of the most elite coaches in the country. Don't screw this up by calling in on his radio show and asking him to leave. That doesnt only make the program and its fans look poor, but it makes our state look bad. Again, this thread is for support of Coach Gillespie!
December 20, 200718 yr I am so tired of "UK Fans" calling for the head of BCG It doesnt take much thinking and critical analyzing to see why Kentucky's season has gotten off to such a rocky start. Coach has taken over a team with a depleted roster, a poor work ethic (something I dont think future players will have if theyre brought in by BCG), and a myriad of injuries that has kept him from being able to field his entire team yet. I dont understand the logic in his detractors at all. The guy can coach! He had one of the nation's top teams last year. He had one of the nations best players last year. He out coached Bobby Knight, Ricky P, and others last year! Look at what Coach has done at his last two jobs. He took over an extremely poor UTEP program and quickly turned them around and took them to the NCAA tournament. He took over a poor Texas AM program, and turned them into an elite basketball program with a Sweet 16 visit and a top 10 recruit coming in. He needs time. When Pitino came in as coach in the late 80's - he too took over a team that had been left in shambles by Eddie Sutton. He did not take the team to the NCAA his first couple of years but in his third year he was a miracle play by Duke away from the Final Four, and then in 93 - he took them to a final four. GIVE BCG TIME! He has great recruits coming in. Deandre Liggins and Darrius Miller are going to be elite players from the get go. How many times have we went on Rivals and seen that Kentucky was not even listed on the top recruits list...and now with Coach G, almost all the premier players are at least interested in coming to Lexington. I support Coach Gillepsie and I can not wait until he has us cutting down the nets. It is going to happen. We have one of the most elite coaches in the country. Don't screw this up by calling in on his radio show and asking him to leave. That doesnt only make the program and its fans look poor, but it makes our state look bad. Again, this thread is for support of Coach Gillespie! :laugh:
December 20, 200718 yr Author :laugh: Try not to waste our time, Buzzer. What's your point? I know its hard to fathom that UK has a good coach after suffering a decade of drowing in the Tubby, but its true. Who signed Patrick Patterson? Who signed Deandre Liggins? Who signed Darrius Miller? Who comepletely turned UTEP and Texas A&M around? Who brought a team from Texas into Lexington and got the win over Pitino and Louisville? Now that you've answered that: answer this. Who left UK in shambles and then got on the first plane to Minnesota? Who left our roster filled with Porter, Coury, and Stevenson? Who squandered the name Kentucky has nationally? Where do you get off saying BCG is not an elite coach?
December 20, 200718 yr Try not to waste our time, Buzzer. What's your point? I know its hard to fathom that UK has a good coach after suffering a decade of drowing in the Tubby, but its true. Who signed Patrick Patterson? Who signed Deandre Liggins? Who signed Darrius Miller? Who comepletely turned UTEP and Texas A&M around? Who brought a team from Texas into Lexington and got the win over Pitino and Louisville? Now that you've answered that: answer this. Who left UK in shambles and then got on the first plane to Minnesota? Who left our roster filled with Porter, Coury, and Stevenson? Who squandered the name Kentucky has nationally? Where do you get off saying BCG is not an elite coach? How is a man who has coached a total of 5 years, an elite coach?? If you think Billy G is elite, sign him up for the San Antonio Spurs, Billy G is no where near elite man, come on. Elite is Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Bob Knight. If you can honestly say Billy G belongs with those boys, your seeing nothing but blue. Wow, 1 good recruit? maybe a couple for next year?? wow. Recruiting doesn't mean a thing, the wins and losses is what counts man. I can recruit a 5 star all american, but if he doesn't produce, what does it matter?? Tubby actually won a national championship at Kentucky. Say what you want about how it wasn't his players, who cares, who coached the team?? Tubby. Did you miss the years where he won the SEC tournament?? And actually if you wanna say who "squandered" the UK name, did Tubby's team ever start off 4-5? how about getting beat by a Gardner-Webb??
December 20, 200718 yr I support Billy G and do not want him gone at all. As a fan, and student of the school, I feel I have the right to criticize him though.
December 20, 200718 yr Author I support Billy G and do not want him gone at all. As a fan, and student of the school, I feel I have the right to criticize him though. There is no question that you can criticize him. The problem is that these nuts calling in on the radio and asking for him to be fired. The guys been in Lexington for like 5 minutes. I just dont understand how a fan can sit through 10 years of the torture that was Tubby Smith and not even give BCG 10 games.
December 20, 200718 yr There is no question that you can criticize him. The problem is that these nuts calling in on the radio and asking for him to be fired. The guys been in Lexington for like 5 minutes. I just dont understand how a fan can sit through 10 years of the torture that was Tubby Smith and not even give BCG 10 games. You had me until here.
December 20, 200718 yr There is no question that you can criticize him. The problem is that these nuts calling in on the radio and asking for him to be fired. The guys been in Lexington for like 5 minutes. I just dont understand how a fan can sit through 10 years of the torture that was Tubby Smith and not even give BCG 10 games. How are you a Kentucky fan? Any where else winning 22-26 games a year is kind of good. UK fans expect 30 wins a year and a NC at least every other two. And it amazes me how you can say Tubby put UK fans through torture for 10 years Billy G is under the same pressure Tubby was under. I find it funny how Tubby goes 22-13 or whatever it was and they want him out. I bet a lot of UK fans want ole Tubby back, because I know I sure would.
December 20, 200718 yr Author How is a man who has coached a total of 5 years, an elite coach?? If you think Billy G is elite, sign him up for the San Antonio Spurs, Billy G is no where near elite man, come on. Elite is Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Bob Knight. If you can honestly say Billy G belongs with those boys, your seeing nothing but blue. I can say Billy G belongs with those boys because he has already proved he can out coach them. BCG outcoached Bob Knight when they were both in the Big 12 and then brought a team from Texas into Rupp Arena and played LOUISVILLE. Lets really think about that. He brought a team from Texas and played a team from Louisville, KY in Rupp Arena. A Louisville team coached By Rick Pitino. He outcoached him and got the win in front of the heavy UofL crowd. You do not have to be a coach for 20 or 30 years to be elite. Look at Billy Donovan. He was an elite coach early in his career. Wow, 1 good recruit? maybe a couple for next year?? wow. Recruiting doesn't mean a thing, the wins and losses is what counts man. I can recruit a 5 star all american, but if he doesn't produce, what does it matter?? Recruiting means everything. You cant win with a team filled with no talent. Just look at Kentucky ever year under Tubby after he lost Rick's recruits. This year is the poorest roster UK has had in many years and its showing. If BCG hadn't signed that "1 good recruit" could you imagine how bad things would be thi s year? I understand that sometimes 5 star all americans dont produce but Joe Crawford is a rare exception. I dont think any coach who knows anything about the game would prefer Mark Coury to Tyler Hansboro or, for that matter, Ramel Bradley to Chris Lofton. Tubby actually won a national championship at Kentucky. Say what you want about how it wasn't his players, who cares, who coached the team?? Tubby. Did you miss the years where he won the SEC tournament?? I could have coached the talent on that team to a championship. It just goes to show how important RECRUITING is to having a winning team. And actually if you wanna say who "squandered" the UK name, did Tubby's team ever start off 4-5? how about getting beat by a Gardner-Webb?? He may not have started off 4-5, but he started off 0-2 a time or two and that was with a lot better talent. We are 4-5 with the bare cupboard that Tubby left - and what talent we do have, hasnt been able to be all healthy at the same time. We have played 9 games without our full roster active at the same time.
December 20, 200718 yr Author How are you a Kentucky fan? Any where else winning 22-26 games a year is kind of good. UK fans expect 30 wins a year and a NC at least every other two. And it amazes me how you can say Tubby put UK fans through torture for 10 years Billy G is under the same pressure Tubby was under. I find it funny how Tubby goes 22-13 or whatever it was and they want him out. I bet a lot of UK fans want ole Tubby back, because I know I sure would. Youre really, really missing the point here or at least youre trying very hard to appear that you are. Tubby had 10 years! 10 years to do better! 10 years! 10 years! 10 years! Not 10 games. 10 years. Is that a hard concept to fathom? If in 10 years, BCG has not won a championship, or been to a Final Four, or has taken us to the big mountain top of back to back Number 8 seeds in the tournament than it will be far past time for him to pack up and leave. Again, just so we are on the same page. Tubby had 10 years! 10 years! 10 years! The guy had a DECADE to do something, and he did nothing. He won a championship with Rick Pitino's players and then spent a decade (THATS 10 YEARS BY THE WAY) grinding the team into the dirt. A coach that has a team for 10 years is to be held at a much higher standard than a coach that has had a team for 10 games. I mean, get real.
December 20, 200718 yr I can say Billy G belongs with those boys because he has already proved he can out coach them. BCG outcoached Bob Knight when they were both in the Big 12 and then brought a team from Texas into Rupp Arena and played LOUISVILLE. Lets really think about that. He brought a team from Texas and played a team from Louisville, KY in Rupp Arena. A Louisville team coached By Rick Pitino. He outcoached him and got the win in front of the heavy UofL crowd. You do not have to be a coach for 20 or 30 years to be elite. Look at Billy Donovan. He was an elite coach early in his career. Recruiting means everything. You cant win with a team filled with no talent. Just look at Kentucky ever year under Tubby after he lost Rick's recruits. This year is the poorest roster UK has had in many years and its showing. If BCG hadn't signed that "1 good recruit" could you imagine how bad things would be thi s year? I understand that sometimes 5 star all americans dont produce but Joe Crawford is a rare exception. I dont think any coach who knows anything about the game would prefer Mark Coury to Tyler Hansboro or, for that matter, Ramel Bradley to Chris Lofton. I could have coached the talent on that team to a championship. It just goes to show how important RECRUITING is to having a winning team. He may not have started off 4-5, but he started off 0-2 a time or two and that was with a lot better talent. We are 4-5 with the bare cupboard that Tubby left - and what talent we do have, hasnt been able to be all healthy at the same time. We have played 9 games without our full roster active at the same time. Does Billy G have championships like those guys have????? The wins?? NO. And he won't even come close to it. Recruiting does mean everything, I agree. I am saying that just because the man recruited 1 good player doesn't make him an elite coach. Not saying recruiting doesn't matter because it obviously does. Really? Maybe you should take over for Billy G then... That's true, but look at what Tubby did for UK, are you not seeing that? And right now, if Tubby is coaching and all the injuries and everything are the same, you can't tell me he would be 4-5...
December 20, 200718 yr Youre really, really missing the point here or at least youre trying very hard to appear that you are. Tubby had 10 years! 10 years to do better! 10 years! 10 years! 10 years! Not 10 games. 10 years. Is that a hard concept to fathom? If in 10 years, BCG has not won a championship, or been to a Final Four, or has taken us to the big mountain top of back to back Number 8 seeds in the tournament than it will be far past time for him to pack up and leave. Again, just so we are on the same page. Tubby had 10 years! 10 years! 10 years! The guy had a DECADE to do something, and he did nothing. He won a championship with Rick Pitino's players and then spent a decade (THATS 10 YEARS BY THE WAY) grinding the team into the dirt. A coach that has a team for 10 years is to be held at a much higher standard than a coach that has had a team for 10 games. I mean, get real. Well your missing the point that Tubby Smith is a FAR better coach than Billy G. I didn't know winning 263 games over 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! was driving a team into the dirt. 10 seasons, all of them with 20 or more wins. 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! and ZERO years with more than 7 losses in SEC play. 8 of those 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! were 10 or more win seasons in the SEC. 5 SEC tournament championships in those 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! 10 YEARS! I mean, get real.
December 20, 200718 yr How is a man who has coached a total of 5 years, an elite coach?? If you think Billy G is elite, sign him up for the San Antonio Spurs, Billy G is no where near elite man, come on. Elite is Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, Bob Knight. If you can honestly say Billy G belongs with those boys, your seeing nothing but blue. Wow, 1 good recruit? maybe a couple for next year?? wow. Recruiting doesn't mean a thing, the wins and losses is what counts man. I can recruit a 5 star all american, but if he doesn't produce, what does it matter?? Tubby actually won a national championship at Kentucky. Say what you want about how it wasn't his players, who cares, who coached the team?? Tubby. Did you miss the years where he won the SEC tournament?? And actually if you wanna say who "squandered" the UK name, did Tubby's team ever start off 4-5? how about getting beat by a Gardner-Webb?? For the last time, it was with players that Rick Pitino recruited.
December 20, 200718 yr For the last time, it was with players that Rick Pitino recruited. I think we all know that, but who coached the team? Did Pitino coach it? No he didn't. So who does that NC go to?? Welllll, I think Tubby Smith..Maybe him, just maybe though...
December 20, 200718 yr Author you can't tell me he would be 4-5... No, I cant. I doubt very seriously that he would be doing that good.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.