Is it time?

ladiesbballcoach

Should teachers AFTER proper training be allowed concealed firearms AT SCHOOL?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should teachers AFTER proper training be allowed concealed firearms AT SCHOOL?

• Horrible idea, no way.
    • It is time to consider it but it needs to be a strong training program.
    • I have no clue what is the best route to protect the school employees and students.
    • Absolutely yes and we have to regain the safety of the schools.

Obviously, the schools have become dangerous places. Even with training, training and more training, it is evident that schools cannot provide protection to their employees and the students.

With and ONLY WITH, proper training and certification, should teachers be allowed to carry concealed firearms?

Let me add that it is with a heavy and sad heart that I would even CONSIDER this. It is an unbelievable horrible thought that the safety of the schools has gotten to such a point that this can EVEN BE DISCUSSED as a good option.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if the two teachers that were shot this week in Cleveland would agree with you?
Please don't use a tragedy of a death, to attempt to make a point to me, about carrying guns in the classroom....That is very poor taste on your part.

Any death, on the property of an educational facility is haneous. Laws are in place and short of mandated security, metal detectors and searches, it will be hard to eliminate guns on school property, nationwide.

I certainly hope society never gets to a point, where 25 students in a classroom, have to watch a teacher draw their weapon on a student, who has or may have one.

Please don't use a tragedy of a death, to attempt to make a point to me, about carrying guns in the classroom....That is very poor taste on your part.

I work every day in the exact SAME SETTING that those teachers work in. See my PM. It is not a poor taste or use of a tragedy but MY WORLD every single day.

I certainly hope society never gets to a point, where 25 students in a classroom, have to watch a teacher draw their weapon on a student, who has or may have one.

I agree and it bothers me that I would EVEN CONSIDER this as a good option. But society may have gotten to that point.

I work every day in the exact SAME SETTING that those teachers work in. See my PM. It is not a poor taste or use of a tragedy but MY WORLD every single day.

I work in that same setting.......I also have been to Iraq. I know what it feels like to be on edge, and trust me The school is no place for guns. I wont even carry a pocket knife.

High security and a police prescence is the way to go. I went to a local middle school this week and there was a cruiser sitting right in front of the entrance. Plus what do you do with teachers that don't pass a gun training program?

Well if they don't pass, they don't get the permission. And they go ahead and bring a weapon and they are prosecuted fully.

Let me add, that the process should be lengthy and very detailed. It should NOT be an easy process. They must be able to show high level of marksmanship, COMPLETE gun safety knowledge, some sort of psychological testing that shows they are not going to be jumping to conclusions, and anything else you could think of.

I am not talking about fill out an application, send in your $10 check and 30 days later you have permission.

Yes, it was in poor taste but I'll move on from that comment.

NO, your world as an educator is to instruct, educate, teach, inform students of vast array of knowledge, not be toting a gun. Give them reasons not to make those mistakes, open their eyes to the positive side of life, which I know you do/try. If you can effect the life of "one", you've made somewhat of a difference.

Any issues, with unruly students should result in proper reporting, to the Principal, Superintendent and legal authorities. You have a right to be safe in the classroom, just like at home on private property.

It's not a perfect world but violence, begets violence....Innocent kids, would be hurt or mentally affected.

Yes, it was in poor taste but I'll move on from that comment.

NO, your world as an educator is to instruct, educate, teach, inform students of vast array of knowledge, not be toting a gun. Give them reasons not to make those mistakes, open their eyes to the positive side of life, which I know you do/try. If you can effect the life of "one", you've made somewhat of a difference.

Any issues, with unruly students should result in proper reporting, to the Principal, Superintendent and legal authorities. You have a right to be safe in the classroom, just like at home on private property.

It's not a perfect world but violence, begets violence....Innocent kids, would be hurt or mentally affected.

That used to be the world of educators but it has changed. We do so many more things than just that. Teachers long for those days when all they did was teach. BUt that is about 3/4's of our job now. And that is sad.

I do have that right but we see it time after time after time that schools cannot provide that protection.

In Cleveland, they had outside doors locked and an armed security officer at the front door. They don't know how the kid got in, although they expected security tapes to show that.

And if you think my first comment was in poor taste, you honestly don't know the fear that we work in that we will be the next national story. It is an honest fear that we face and live with. Not a comment meant in poor taste but a comment made in fear of what could be next for me.

No. I keep thinking back to some of my more elderly and fragile teachers from my school days. Far too easily disarmed. In some cases you would actually be providing the guns for the offenders.

I would make the assumption that those elderly and fragile teachers would not pass a physical test to receive permission to have a concealed weapon. So that concern can be dismissed.

I work in that same setting.......I also have been to Iraq. I know what it feels like to be on edge, and trust me The school is no place for guns. I wont even carry a pocket knife.

And teachers in certain settings shouldn't either. Teachers shouldn't wear a tie because it gives an unruly student a place to grab and gain control of them, physically. They should wear athletic shoes so when the time comes that there is a physical struggle, they are not slipping sliding away on dress shoes.

It has gotten to the point that in alternative school settings, where the teachers in Cleveland taught, that they have to make conscious clothing choices concerning their safety when going into teach.