Evarts vs. Harlan Predictions

dragon_slayer

Who will win this game?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this game?

• Evarts
    • Harlan

Here is a big rivalry & district game to be played for the final time. A win for Evarts would move them to 3-0 and earn some much deserved respect. This is a MUST win for the Dragons. A loss moves them to 0-3 with Hazard the following week. Harlan could be looking at a 1-3 win season if they loose this Friday. The kicking game for Evarts has been poor the first two games and sooner or later this will cost them a close game. It should be a dandy with a large turnout.

Evarts 18

Harlan 14

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting story I heard from a reliable source was that several years ago, when Harlan didn't agree to play the Alumni Bowl on Labor Day weekend, Evarts refused to relinquish the Bucket after a Harlan win. Harlan won on labor day the next year, and got the bucket back. If this is the case, should the bucket pass to Evarts should the Wildcats prevail as it was Evarts this year, who refused to play the Alumni Bowl on Labor Day weekend? Perhaps HDE or other Gurus of Harlan County Football history could verify the story. I'm sure there are opinions out there! Should what goes around come around? Having asked that I agree that this game will be close. The Dragons need a win badly for a number of reasons and Evarts is looking for a last chance at Harlan. Let r fly!

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Didn't you ready the newspaper back then, Pappy? The "Bucket's got a hole in it" column on the sport page won a state award that year.

You are right HDE and my better half just asked me didn't district games have to wait until the 3rd game of the season or some such. She is gettin' on my nerves gettin' so football savvy, but anyway since I'm showin my ignorance is that the case? If so, I guess thats why they didn't play last week.

Anywho, JB and the good folks on Central Street always take the high road on matters like this. They always put me to shame class wise! I've got a little vengeful streak myself.

Can you read that article in the HDE archives? I need to refresh my failin' memory. Guess the Big Green will have to just Beat thos Cats and keep the Bucket from becoming a permanant fixture on Clover Fork.

It was back before the Internet made it to the Enterprise.

She's right about now, but district games didn't have to wait then. The coaches at the time (Bill Cole and J.B. Donahue) agreed to move the Harlan-Evarts game to later, because it was/is a big game, but the Evarts alumni folks got angry about it and held the Bucket hostage for a year or two before the game was moved back to Labor Day weekend.

As for a prediction:

Evarts 27, Harlan 21

It was back before the Internet made it to the Enterprise.

She's right about now, but district games didn't have to wait then. The coaches at the time (Bill Cole and J.B. Donahue) agreed to move the Harlan-Evarts game to later, because it was/is a big game, but the Evarts alumni folks got angry about it and held the Bucket hostage for a year or two before the game was moved back to Labor Day weekend.

As for a prediction:

Evarts 27, Harlan 21

I hate it when she is right! Oh well. I'll join in with a prognostication:

Harlan 20

Evarts 12

Again, should be a battle.

Harlan has really got to win this game. Traditionally whoever wins this game is in good shape for the rest of the year and will finish 1st or 2nd in he district. I know that the district has changed a lot with the addition of Hazard so I see the winner of this game being 3rd in the district (behind Hazard and Cumberland) and the looser sitting at home come November. Evarts has shown that they are a much improved team but Harlan has shown that they are very much rebuilding. I wouldn't be suprised to see Harlan come out in the Power-I with two TE's and go back to doing what they have traditionaly done best. Bottom Line Up Front, Harlan has got to find a way to score some points, move the ball, not turn it over, and keep the defense rested. Harlan's QB has got to step up, become of the leader of this team, and salvage the season before they get their first 0-3 start that I can remember in a very long time. I think Harlan may turn it around in this game, they pretty much have to...

Harlan 28

Evarts 21

The annual Evarts-Harlan game has always been a district game. The date of the games in the district were decided by a draw each year and the game always had to be rescheduled to be played on Labor day weekend. This is a much more difficult process than many people realize. It often meant the moving around of several games each year. It required a lot of work and a lot of phone calls to make it happen but on the year in question, it was simply impossible. The coaches decided to schedule a double-header on Labor Day weekend(which Evarts and Harlan both won by the way)

Sorry. Hit the reply button before I was finished. Bottom line is the coal bucket trophy should go to winner of the Evarts-Harlan game, regardless of the date it is played each year, which is what both coaches assumed would happen the year in question. Harlan won the game on the field and deserved the bucket. The Evarts coaching staff and players were very embarrased of what occured. As someone said earlier, the bucket was held hostage that year and neither team received it. It was a very embarrasing situation.

The annual Evarts-Harlan game has always been a district game. )

The Evarts-Harlan game was not always a district game. Throughout the 60's and 70s Evarts was a AA school (when there was only A and AA outside of Louisville) and Harlan has been A since classes were formed. Evarts big district rivals in the 60s and 70s was Middlesboro and Corbin.

Evarts was 2A from 1959 to ?

Did they switch in 1975 when the state realigned or wait a couple of years? It seems I remember coach Hunter resisted the change and Evarts held out a year or two before moving to Class A.

Sorry. Hit the reply button before I was finished. Bottom line is the coal bucket trophy should go to winner of the Evarts-Harlan game, regardless of the date it is played each year, which is what both coaches assumed would happen the year in question. Harlan won the game on the field and deserved the bucket. The Evarts coaching staff and players were very embarrased of what occured. As someone said earlier, the bucket was held hostage that year and neither team received it. It was a very embarrasing situation.

A great rivalry with a great prize up for grabs. Its a shame its the last one. District 7 will never feel right again.