Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Starbucks vs. Wal Mart

Featured Replies

Sorry to start this thread Rockmom, but an article in today's Cinti Enquirer got me thinking about this subject. A planned Star Bucks in Cinti has been shelved. The article discussed the joy an independent coffee shop owner felt when the Star Bucks opening was cancelled because of the effect it would have had on his business. The article quoted an industry insider that Star Bucks has had adverse efect on independent coffee shops when they've moved into a locale.

 

Why has Wal Mart received so much scorn for puting independent stores out of business, but other national players like Star Bucks, Applebees, etc escaped such criticism when they surely have adversely affect independent businesses in a like manner? Is all the scorn really just a result of the union going after Wal Mart efforts and the American people being gullible enough not to see it? I fully understand that Star Bucks treats its employees very well, but that still doesn't negate the adverse effect that it has on the owner of the independent coffee house that they put out of business. Thoughts?

Sorry to start this thread Rockmom, but an article in today's Cinti Enquirer got me thinking about this subject. A planned Star Bucks in Cinti has been shelved. The article discussed the joy an independent coffee shop owner felt when the Star Bucks opening was cancelled because of the effect it would have had on his business. The article quoted an industry insider that Star Bucks has had adverse efect on independent coffee shops when they've moved into a locale.

 

Why has Wal Mart received so much scorn for puting independent stores out of business, but other national players like Star Bucks, Applebees, etc escaped such criticism when they surely have adversely affect independent businesses in a like manner? Is all the scorn really just a result of the union going after Wal Mart efforts and the American people being gullible enough not to see it? I fully understand that Star Bucks treats its employees very well, but that still doesn't negate the adverse effect that it has on the owner of the independent coffee house that they put out of business. Thoughts?

 

Let me explain what happened in Louisville.

 

Back in the day, there was Heine Bros. and they had 2 stores, Highlands (Louisville), and Crescent Hill. There was a Highland Coffee, in the Highalnds, and maybe a couple of others, all in places like the Highlands and Crescent Hill, both of which are areas of Louisville where there are a lot of restaurants, and full of eclectic people and places.

 

Then, Starbucks comes to town. We now have 4 Heine Bros, 2 Highland Coffee, Several Java Brewing, and a host of others. The reverse has actually occurred in Louisville. MORE independent coffee shops have opened since Starbucks came to town.

 

I still hear daily of the "evil giant Starbucks" and what they are puts the "little" guy out of business. But, at least in Louisville, Starbucks opened up a whole new niche in the market for the independents. They created interest where very little existed before.

If you offer a superior product or superior service what do you have to worry about?

What about other older Big Box stores? Are they acceptable now?

 

Kmart, Home Depot, Target, Toys-R-Us, any cineplex, etc all had a great effect on the local shop owner.

Why has Wal Mart received so much scorn for puting independent stores out of business, but other national players like Star Bucks, Applebees, etc escaped such criticism when they surely have adversely affect independent businesses in a like manner? Is all the scorn really just a result of the union going after Wal Mart efforts and the American people being gullible enough not to see it? I fully understand that Star Bucks treats its employees very well, but that still doesn't negate the adverse effect that it has on the owner of the independent coffee house that they put out of business. Thoughts?

I think Wal*Mart is focused on because more people patronize Wal*Mart for more of their daily necessities than Starbuck's. It's a part of people's daily lives, so it's more relevant to them. I think people are more likely to notice their local grocer or retailer being closed than they would a local coffee house.

 

But honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I can see this being a problem for the small business owner that is effected; but that's what capitalism is all about. If you provide more products, and better products, and people perceive value in your offering, your business is going to grow. That's the American dream brought to fruition. So be it!

Didn't Starbucks begin as a small, independent coffee shop?

Didn't Walmart start as a five and dime Ben Franklin store 45 years ago?

Didn't Starbucks begin as a small, independent coffee shop?

 

Yes.

 

And, HHSDad-Yes.

  • Author
I think Wal*Mart is focused on because more people patronize Wal*Mart for more of their daily necessities than Starbuck's. It's a part of people's daily lives, so it's more relevant to them. I think people are more likely to notice their local grocer or retailer being closed than they would a local coffee house.

 

But honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. I can see this being a problem for the small business owner that is effected; but that's what capitalism is all about. If you provide more products, and better products, and people perceive value in your offering, your business is going to grow. That's the American dream brought to fruition. So be it!

 

 

I definitely agree with your post, particularly the second paragraph. I've never been one of those folks on here that heaped scorn on Wal Mart. But a lot of people have, while at the same time while not addressing many other very successful big, national companies that have done the same thing. I just thought that was odd. Your stated reason may very well be valid although I think the union campaign to make Wal Mart look bad has had something to do with it also.

I definitely agree with your post...
Would it be okay with you if I had this bronzed? Because I think it may be the first time this has ever happened! ;)
  • Author
Would it be okay with you if I had this bronzed? Because I think it may be the first time this has ever happened! ;)

 

 

Nah, not the first time, but admittedly a rare occurrence:ylsuper: Still worth bronzing however.

They have come along way in 36 years. But the coffee is expensive.

 

Whole bean coffee? Coffee by the cup? Or Espresso Drinks?

Whole bean coffee? Coffee by the cup? Or Espresso Drinks?

 

Most of their drinks in general. They just raised some of them last week or so. I don't think the Coffee by the cup or espresso have gone up, but I am not sure.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.