July 10, 200719 yr Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge others. Then you will not be judged." Pope Benny needs to address the problems within his own church instead of pointing fingers at others. :thumb: :thumb:
July 10, 200719 yr I do agree with him in that Christ did establish only one church, one kingdom, one body. And it is through Him and contact with His blood that we can enter into that body. So that anyone who hears and believes the Word, repents of his sins, confesses Jesus as the son of God and is baptised in His name for the remission of their sins is added to the church by God. I don't care where you attend services, if you have done those things and remain faithful, you will be a member of the Kindom of Heaven, the Church that Christ established. Amen Watusi. :thumb: There could be no better post on this thread. This is an absolute truth.
July 10, 200719 yr Does that include Latin masses? I grew up attending one of the most traditional parishes in Louisville in the '70's. The beauty of the Latin Mass is unsurpassed, and there is no equal in inspiring me, and evoking the feeling of the holiness and solemnity of Mass. There is no edict to return to Latin Masses as a norm. Research the entire story and you'll see what I mean. For those who think Pope Benedict should "worry about his own church before pointing fingers at others". He is. He's issuing proclomations specific to the Catholic membership.
July 10, 200719 yr Author For those who think Pope Benedict should "worry about his own church before pointing fingers at others". He is. He's issuing proclomations specific to the Catholic membership. Does that include "Protestants and other Christian denominations because they are not true churches and therefore did not have the "means of salvation" ? Understand I have no problem with him saying that. As I stated earlier, if that is what he believes, I commend him for his honesty. However, I have repeatly seen those of some of the more conservatives faiths labeled as intolerant and "condemning people to Hell" and I must admit that I'm enjoying the irony of his comments.
July 10, 200719 yr How does the Roman Catholic Church become the official church? Are we totally disregarding the 300 years between Christ's death and the formation of the Church? The ecumenical church didn't even exist until the Council of Nicea in 325 and the whole purpose of that council was to resolve differences between the churches. While the Council did acheive a consensus, much has changed over the past 1700 years, even within the Catholic Church. So at what point did the Roman Catholic Church have it exactly right? In 325, in 1054 when the church split in half, in 1184 when the church split again, in 1870 at the First Vatican Council, in 1964 at the Second Vatican Council, or maybe in one of the 18 other ecumenical concils between the First Council of Nicea and First Vatican? I am a proponent of the Catholic Church. However, this position held by Bendict and others both sickens and dismays me.
July 10, 200719 yr With all due respect, I believe that while Pope Benedict may be on track to re-establish, or reinforce the traditional, core teachings of the church, I don't see that as a negative. Pope John Paul and Mother Teresa did not abandon those teachings and beliefs. They simply focused more on the humanatarian side of the Catholic religion than the doctrine. IMO, the Church really does need a return, or refreser, on the basic tenets of our Faith. I agree with you on this one rockmom. The Louisville diocese is in dire need of just such a refresher.
July 10, 200719 yr I grew up attending one of the most traditional parishes in Louisville in the '70's. The beauty of the Latin Mass is unsurpassed, and there is no equal in inspiring me, and evoking the feeling of the holiness and solemnity of Mass. There is no edict to return to Latin Masses as a norm. Research the entire story and you'll see what I mean. For those who think Pope Benedict should "worry about his own church before pointing fingers at others". He is. He's issuing proclomations specific to the Catholic membership. Amen. In high school, I attended a Latin Mass five days a week. It was both spiritual and inspiring. It also helped me to do well in Latin class. I think all "churches" have shown a tendency to modernize for the sake of survival. Many are more of a social club than a place of traditional, Bible-based worship. We see more emphasis on gymnasiums and and thinly veiled "mission trips" that are really little vacations than we see concern for the needy and unchurched. I think Pope Benedict is trying to move the Catholic Church away from this and back to its original purposes. I commend him for that and suggest that others do the same.
July 10, 200719 yr I don’t understand Catholics. If the Pope is chosen by God and has ultimate authority to interoperate the Bible, then how do other Catholics disagree with him? Isn’t this the same as disagreeing with God?
July 10, 200719 yr I'd like to add to the Rockmom/PepRock chorus. Benedict is exactly what the Church needs at this time. The word circulating following John Paul II's passing was that, while the papacy had increased visibility and certainly increased influence, the day-to-day operations of the Chruch had fallen to the wayside. Cardinal Ratzinger, who oversaw much of that in his former post, was the perfect choice to become Pope Benedict XVI. There is nothing new under the sun, as Ecclesiastes tells us, and His Holiness is telling us nothing that hasn't bee said before. For those talking of him as someone ready to take the Church back to the Dark Ages, please keep in mind that he is the first pope to so much as consider allowing contraception to prevent disease since Humanae Vitae. Ratzinger is much more like John Paul II than people seem to want to recognize. We simply didn't have the privilege of seeing him as such a young pontiff as we did John Paul II.
July 10, 200719 yr I don’t understand Catholics. If the Pope is chosen by God and has ultimate authority to interoperate the Bible, then how do other Catholics disagree with him? Isn’t this the same as disagreeing with God? King David was also chosen by God to lead his people... didn't mean he wasn't still human. We are all capable of mistakes and even the Pope himself can err.
July 10, 200719 yr How does the Roman Catholic Church become the official church? Are we totally disregarding the 300 years between Christ's death and the formation of the Church? The ecumenical church didn't even exist until the Council of Nicea in 325 and the whole purpose of that council was to resolve differences between the churches. While the Council did acheive a consensus, much has changed over the past 1700 years, even within the Catholic Church. So at what point did the Roman Catholic Church have it exactly right? In 325, in 1054 when the church split in half, in 1184 when the church split again, in 1870 at the First Vatican Council, in 1964 at the Second Vatican Council, or maybe in one of the 18 other ecumenical concils between the First Council of Nicea and First Vatican? I am a proponent of the Catholic Church. However, this position held by Bendict and others both sickens and dismays me. It's not Pope Benedict's position. It's the position of the Catholic Church.
July 10, 200719 yr Does that include "Protestants and other Christian denominations because they are not true churches and therefore did not have the "means of salvation" ? Understand I have no problem with him saying that. As I stated earlier, if that is what he believes, I commend him for his honesty. However, I have repeatly seen those of some of the more conservatives faiths labeled as intolerant and "condemning people to Hell" and I must admit that I'm enjoying the irony of his comments. The only thing I want to point out is that you can trace back through history the origins of most Protestent religions to a defection with the Catholic Church.
July 10, 200719 yr Author The only thing I want to point out is that you can trace back through history the origins of most Protestent religions to a defection with the Catholic Church. True. What's your point?
July 10, 200719 yr True. What's your point? Well....that the one true Church is the Catholic Church, of course! All the rest were formed as a dissent to the Catholic Church.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.