July 11, 200719 yr Lexington Catholic cannot draw from outside the diocese of Lexington. Seems like a boundary to me. I was told that LC's drawing area was Pikeville to Frankfort, Georgetown to Berea since there were no other Catholic schools. Is that accurate?
July 11, 200719 yr I was told that LC's drawing area was Pikeville to Frankfort, Georgetown to Berea since there were no other Catholic schools. Is that accurate? If that's the diocese of Lexington then you are correct.
July 11, 200719 yr I was told that LC's drawing area was Pikeville to Frankfort, Georgetown to Berea since there were no other Catholic schools. Is that accurate? True, but in practice, no kids from Pikeville will come to LC. Is it practical to travel that distance every day? I know of no students, not just athletes, in the past 5-7 years that have come from outside a radius of much more than 30 miles.
July 11, 200719 yr Author True, but in practice, no kids from Pikeville will come to LC. Is it practical to travel that distance every day? I know of no students, not just athletes, in the past 5-7 years that have come from outside a radius of much more than 30 miles. I know of numerous families from Richmond that attend the Lexington Catholic elementary/ MS schools (even though Richmond does have a Catholic elementary school) and HS at Lexington Catholic. Also some from Danville, Frankfort and Paris. In the Bluegrass region these are all considered part of the same 'community' and people drive between these points day in and day out, often multiple times. I have never heard of anyone who actually lived in Pikeville or Ashland or Somerset (in case Mr. Wilson is worried about that) attending LC.
July 14, 200719 yr The Catholic schools in Louisville serve the Archdiocese of Louisville. Make that the boundry and I will not argue it one iota. You can't be blamed for wanting to draw from more than 30 counties as well as Southern Indiana but hence is the root of a lot of the problems. Keep your eyes open, there is a forest among those trees.
July 14, 200719 yr Lexington Catholic cannot draw from outside the diocese of Lexington. Seems like a boundary to me. That is incorrect. Lexington catholic can draw from a public school anywhere in Kentucky and from a private school that isn't in the diocese from anywhere.
July 14, 200719 yr But not in the same manner that the currently considered proposal will make a fundamental and albeit expensive for the association's schools proposal that is working its way through now. I assume since it is going to be more expensive for the association, the association is looking at additional funding opportunities like taking the gates from the semi-final games? Also, I assume an outright split would make it so expensive for the association that the KHSAA would take all the post season gate receipts?
July 14, 200719 yr I assume since it is going to be more expensive for the association, the association is looking at additional funding opportunities like taking the gates from the semi-final games? Also, I assume an outright split would make it so expensive for the association that the KHSAA would take all the post season gate receipts? I agree. I have a really strong feeling that before all is said and done the KHSAA will start taking gate receipts from all post season games in all sports.
July 15, 200719 yr I assume since it is going to be more expensive for the association, the association is looking at additional funding opportunities like taking the gates from the semi-final games? Also, I assume an outright split would make it so expensive for the association that the KHSAA would take all the post season gate receipts? If you look at the KHSAA's audit on line, which I did when it was posted on line earlier, and you talk to their staff and/or board, there is no financial safety net in place at this time. They have just paid off a long term debt on their headquarters, but recent legal bills for current cases have drained it to the point that it would appear that one extremely costly case could have them looking for more revenue. It has always been curious that if you look at every state around Kentucky, the playoff money in all sports comes in to the state office, and a limited amount is doled back out, but in Kentucky, the schools have been able to keep it all except the final rounds. I would assume that would be a highly unpopoular decision if they ever decided to take part of that money, but frankly, if 2/3 of their schools want the rules enforced more rigidly and want more compliance, and want this thick netted rule about feeder schools, then they probably should be prepared to pay for the complications.
July 15, 200719 yr I agree. I have a really strong feeling that before all is said and done the KHSAA will start taking gate receipts from all post season games in all sports. I'm not sure in the long run they'll have any choice with the current set of proposed rules and the existing legal climate.
July 19, 200719 yr What are the next steps in this process? When will they actually decide on when it goes into effect and what the final rules will be?
July 19, 200719 yr Author What are the next steps in this process? When will they actually decide on when it goes into effect and what the final rules will be? LRC review was delay until August. From responses I have received from LRC members Proposal 2 is in trouble. "...the Agency has deferred the proposal until August 14th. I am hopeful they will withdraw the proposal and revisit the issue."
July 19, 200719 yr If Prop 2 fails after Prop 20 was disregarded it would be interesting to see if a group tries the aproach that the group that brought about KERA did. Ban together and sue the state for creating an unfair competitive situation. Back in the late 80's, one of the big complaints was that some districts had an unfair funding advantage locally (Ft. Thomas' property values were higher than say a Robertson County's) and thus funding for the local education was "not on a level playing field" throughout the state. I was still a youngin at that time so I don't know what the BGP debate (if it existed) would have been, but I would guess that some were surprised that the funding was labeled as unequal and a new funding and public educational system was put into place. Not proposing that this occurs necessarily but it would be interesting. I am sure back in the late 80's, some took the mindset that those poorer counties just needed to work harder and be more proud, loyal and seep in tradition to be better.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.