Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region - First Round

Featured Replies

Ryle was the only team I had not see in the region this year, and after seeing them I even more convince that the 9th region this year is definitely the weakest it has been in MANY years....

If you think the region is weak, your future coaching better be in tennis or golf because you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to baseball.

I guess Ryle should have scored the ten runs in the first two innings.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to congrats Ryle on the win today...But now I want to let off some steam. I am tired of seeing umps give the close calls to the bigger schools, or more respected programs. . .

 

Ryle dominated Ludlow today from start to finish. One bad call made no difference whatsoever in the outcome of a 10-0 game. Bad calls are a part of baseball - some go against you, some go in your favor. Good teams do not let a bad call allow them to lose composure (not saying Ludlow did that - this is just a general statement).

 

Couldn't disagree more with your assessment of the umpires showing favoritism to larger and/or more respected teams. Most umpiring calls are split-second decisions. In order to cheat in favor of one team over another, an umpire would have to have this thought process:

 

1) What is the actual correct call?

2) Would this call be for or against the team I am trying to help?

3) Was the play close enough that I can go ahead and make the wrong call and have it be believable?

4) Is it worth having the other team's fans/coach climb my frame in order to make this call?

4) Is it even necessary that I make this call to help out the bigger/more respected school or can this team actually win the game without me cheating?

5) I am so personally invested in helping the bigger/more repsected schools that I would risk ruining my reputation as a quality umpire?

 

All of which has to occur within about a one second time frame.

 

I would politely suggest that you try doing some umpiring yourself - and I mean some competitive level umpiring, not knothole/rec ball - and find out exactly how difficult it can be, as well as extra work/thought process would actually be involved to intentionally favor one team over another. I'm sure it may happen from time to time, but really don't think there is a conspiracy amongst the Region 9 umpires to help the big schools at the expense of the smaller ones.

 

K3 - this is not meant to be a personal jab at anyone, just a polite response to what I viewed as a slightly offbase critique of 9th region umpiring.

The 9th may have caught a break with Danville getting upset in the 12th today.

 

To me at least, Danville getting beat was not catching a break for the Ninth. Danville had one, count it one, very, very, very good pitcher, but after that, well........I was just not that much impressed with Danville.

I was sitting with the KHSAA umpires and the head of the KHSAA umpires today during the first game. He told me that all the men in blue today were from the ninth and all the umpires in this round will be ninth region umpires. He did however tell me in the next round, we will find the KHSAA bringing in a new crew from another region.. Personally I thought the men in blue did a rather good job in all the games today.....and I only had a rooting interest in one of them...

 

Sorry old guy, but you must have been sitting with an imposter. The umpires for tomorrow night and the finals will be a 4 man crew from the ninth region. The same 4 umpires will do all 3 games (2 semi and 1 final) with a different position for each one.

 

HOWEVER, They will ALL be ninth region umpires. Same 4 guys that you have seen on the 9th regions diamonds all season. These umpires were voted into the honor of working the districts and regionals by the coaches, the assigner and thier peers. If 3ptshooter doesn't like the umps, he is in the minority.

If Elliott is on his game it will not be "in similar fashion as game 1!" His team must play defense behind him and if he gets a few runs watch out.

 

The umpire being discussed in game two was the same home plate umpire in the first game. My question to the head of the umpires would be why after a team complained about him in the district tourney and was canned for doing the district final and then brought back to do the plate in the 1st rnd of the regional tourney w/the same team who made the complaint? I think this is a slap in the face to the coach. This umpire was a JV ump last yr and couldn't do that and now he is doing the district/regional tourney. Talk about weak in the 9th region, where did all the good umps go to, retire?

 

Good luck to all tomorrow!

 

3PS, showing your lack of inside knowledge again....

 

During the final, this umpire was not pulled from the game. It was his turn to sit out. There are 4 umpires assigned, to fill 3 spots. He had already worked the two previous games, and it was his turn to sit out.

 

Additionally, your coach complaining fell on deaf ears. He had an opportunity to scratch an umpire, and chose to scratch on of the best in the region. Again, not much intelligence shown there.

 

Lastly, the umpire in question IS one of the best in the region, otherwise he would not have been chosen for this spot BY THE COACHES, the ASSIGNER and his peers. So while you may not like him, you are obviously biased and you are obviously in the minority... (again....).

 

Lastly, try to limit the personal attacks. Last week it was Luke Maile, this week it is the umpire. Man... take a vacation day and relax a bit....

How about before the CCH/Boone game when the grounds crew chief (who by the way do a heck of a job with that field) announced to everyone before the National Anthem that HE would let the umps and teams know when they could take the field. A little overdramatic, and a lot of extra time, for a game that already started an hour late. Kudos to Clint Brown, owner of the Freedom, for personally being there, allowing the 9th region to using the field, and hanging out with the normal folks.

I guess some of us, can't follow Post #37. Each game has it's own thread, so discuss the contents of the game and not each other.

 

The personal jabs back and forth, are not needed. Too many enjoy BGP, for the content. Let's post positive comments and observations, then the Mod's can handle the rest....:thumb:

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.