April 14, 200719 yr I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, but I was driving back home from Lexington yesterday morning and caught a little bit of the Joe B. and Denny radio show. They had KY's Mr. Basketball Steffon Pettigrew on before his workouts at the Derby Classic and said that he had been talking with Billy G. here of late. He said that he hadn't been offered a scholarship yet, but would definately be interested if UK offered. Anyone heard anything else on this?
April 14, 200719 yr Even if he doesn't get offered he should go to UK..he would be on scholarship soon, he doesn't need to let pride get in the way of his dream to be a Wildcat.
April 14, 200719 yr Even if he doesn't get offered he should go to UK..he would be on scholarship soon, he doesn't need to let pride get in the way of his dream to be a Wildcat. I don't know young Mr. Pettigrew's situation, so let me ask. Can he or his family afford to go to UK without being on scholarship? Also I've never seen the kid play, and I've heard some report that they don't think he can cut it at that level. Would you still go to UK, know matter how much you grew up loving them, if you were going to sit the bench for 4 years?
April 14, 200719 yr Author From my understanding he said that he was being recruited by Xavier, St. Louis, and several D2 schools. My opinion is that Billy G. will also ask him to walk-on because both Joe B and Denny said they questioned whether he could play in a post position at the D1 level.
April 14, 200719 yr I don't know young Mr. Pettigrew's situation, so let me ask. Can he or his family afford to go to UK without being on scholarship? Also I've never seen the kid play, and I've heard some report that they don't think he can cut it at that level. Would you still go to UK, know matter how much you grew up loving them, if you were going to sit the bench for 4 years? He could qualify for 100% financial aid....granted he would have to pay it back..but with a quality education he would be able to afford to do so. As far as sitting on the bench..I wasn't nearly as good in my sport as he is in this one...that's his call only...but if I could play at Notre Dame and sit the bench for four years, yes I would've done that.
April 14, 200719 yr From my understanding he said that he was being recruited by Xavier, St. Louis, and several D2 schools. My opinion is that Billy G. will also ask him to walk-on because both Joe B and Denny said they questioned whether he could play in a post position at the D1 level. As a 6'5" small forward in high school, the point about posting up doesn't make much sense to me.....he can play the 2 at the next level.
April 14, 200719 yr Nobody in his right mind would pay for school if it is being offered free somewhere else even if it does mean not getting to be a "Wildcat" at UK go be a wildcat at another school for free.
April 14, 200719 yr Is he a D1 shooting guard or an average shooter?? Yeah 6'5 looks good on paper but if you cant shoot well enough to play the spot, why waste a scholarship on him. Seems like some of you all might be thinking about Lofton when you are discussing Pettigrew, not wanting to miss out on the next great KY kid. A 6'5 high school post player are a dime a dozen as is a 6'2 shooting guard in high school. The trick at this level is finding a 6'5 shooter at this level who can shoot like he is 6'2.
April 14, 200719 yr ^ That's not true 100's of Cornhuskers have done it over the history of Nebraska football.
April 14, 200719 yr Then they had too much money sitting around. Why didnt Lofton tell tubby then, dont worry about that scholarship coach, I'll just walk on. It does not make any sense to do that, that is why they are called scholarships so kids can get free rides for playing sports for the college they are attending and making them big money in the NCAA tourney and bowl games, etc.
April 14, 200719 yr ^ That's not true 100's of Cornhuskers have done it over the history of Nebraska football. Impressed with your knowledge about the NU walk-on program. Your right it happens there a lot and there have been many walk ons that earned scholarships during there time an turned out to be great players. One of them is likely a first day draft pick this year.
April 14, 200719 yr Ravi Moss comes to mind. Ravi was a walk on player but he did have an academic schlarship tho so he didnt have to worry about paying for school. Dont think Pettigrew is in that type of situation.
April 14, 200719 yr Author So Moss was on full academic scholarship at UK? Must have been a pretty smart kid. I go to UK and I'm not aware of a whole lot of people that have full paid academic scholarships.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.