Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Intimidation...

Featured Replies

What is everyone's opinion on this matter?

 

Do you think that intimidation is a big factor in high school football when playing an opponent? What factors into intimidation? Is it numbers, size, facilities on the home field, reputation, crowd? What factors into it and how much does it affect teams?

  • Author

I have seen some times where I think it has been a big factor, not so much in the outcome of the game but in the amount of effort put forth by a team.

 

When I was watching Trinity play OCHS last season, the Colonels seemed intimidated from the very beginning. From there it seemed to sap their desire to keep playing because they seemed to think they had no hope. I personally think it plays a big part of teams chances especially those playing the powerhouses.

I think it is a huge factor. I've seen many teams that are every bit as talented as the one they're playing get intimidated by a team with huge numbers, or the name on their chest.

My HS was VERY intimidated by Highlands in High School. There were maybe 5 of us that weren't and we could tell others were before the game even started.

I believe in recent years that intimidation has palyed a huge role in my schools opening game of the season. Blown out by a team they should have played with 4 years in a row. I think it stems from their tradition.

  • Author

At the same time do you all think that the things that lead to intimidation could ALSO lead to firing a team up even more to prove that they are just as good if not better than the team with the "mystique" if you will.

Tradition is definitely apart of it. There is not doubt that kids go into a situation, knowing they are not going to win. Think Dayton thinks they have a chance at Beechwood... maybe just for a few minutes.

  • Author
Tradition is definitely apart of it. There is not doubt that kids go into a situation, knowing they are not going to win. Think Dayton thinks they have a chance at Beechwood... maybe just for a few minutes.

 

 

When I was doing my student teaching at OCHS in 2005, I was talking to the football players and they were telling me that they knew they had no chance to beat Trinity.

 

If think that the entire time before the game, then you more than likely will lose.

AGREED!

 

CONFIDENCE IS EVERYTHING.

 

 

The teams that are at the top year in and year out do NOT always have the best players........... but the do KNOW THAT THEY ARE GOING TO WIN !! And this cant always be coached up.

What is everyone's opinion on this matter?

 

Do you think that intimidation is a big factor in high school football when playing an opponent? What factors into intimidation? Is it numbers, size, facilities on the home field, reputation, crowd? What factors into it and how much does it affect teams?

 

 

 

Yes, I think that intimidation can play a huge factor on ANY playing field as well as in day to day life.

It seems that society in general looks at people that are successful and or hold higher power as a better person/people. I don't agree with this. I feel you can win any game, be a top exec in a company or be president of the US for that matter....BUT if you don't have a true heart and soul...you are nothing! I think that if more people believed in this they would be amazed at what they can accomplish.

IMO it plays a huge part in all sports, one reason the best stay the best.

My HS was VERY intimidated by Highlands in High School. There were maybe 5 of us that weren't and we could tell others were before the game even started.

 

I saw the same thing this year at Highlands when the team I follow played there....

  • Author

Another question I feel I should tack on here is, how do you overcome that? Team spirit/heart? Coaching?

Another question I feel I should tack on here is, how do you overcome that? Team spirit/heart? Coaching?

 

 

Got to have heart and faith that anything is possible....

I this can believe a team/person can be taught this!

Personally, it seemed to me that our coaches did a good job firing us up for games against big teams. I enjoyed going into a game as the under dog more than going into a game that we were supposed to win. That is where playing with "nothing to lose" comes in.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.