Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Crazy Idea

Featured Replies

First I know this will never work because it is too radical of an idea and it would cause the entire nation to have to do it.

 

Have baseball / softball switch seasons with football. Think about it before you start bashing how crazy of an idea it is.

 

WIN FOR BASEBALL / SOFTBALL - the weather is horrible during the preseason and a few weeks into the season. These are sports that field conditions actually matter. By starting in the summer you will have the opportunity to play when the fields are in better shape.

 

WIN FOR FOOTBALL - this is a dangerous sport when it comes to making sure the athletes are protected from too much heat. They have to wear all this equipment - shoulderpads, helments and pants - which traps the heat and increases the dangers for them. BB / SB can be better protected from the heat than FB players.

 

Have BB / SB start the Monday after the dead period and have 3 weeks of practice and then play from early August to Mid Oct and have playoffs afterwards. You should be able to get done before the bad weather sets in. Have FB start in late Feb and give them 4 weeks of practice and play 11 weeks (open week) until late May and playoffs after - should be finished before it really gets hot.

 

Yes there are problems with this plan and it would involve dramatically changing American culture of football Friday nights in the fall. I just thought it makes some sense.

So you want to eliminate Summer Baseball all together with High School?

 

I know its just an idea but like you said, this will NEVER work

Yeah, I'm not big on it also around football season is golf season so you would have to move that also.

Actually me and several coaches discussed this a little while back when we had a stream of 4 or 5 rain outs in a row and it is really logical. Football can be played when its 40 degrees out and has rained for several days. Baseball just cant. It would be a radical change that would never really be accepted but it would work out so much better that way. Summer baseball and such though would have to start earlier. The diea is good but so many other things would need to be modified for it to work out its not worth the time or $$$

So you want to eliminate Summer Baseball all together with High School?

 

I know its just an idea but like you said, this will NEVER work

 

 

 

What is more important Summer or High School?

  • Author

Thank you vmabaseball - I am glad someone else sees the logic in the idea. I have no hopes of this ever happening but it just comes to mind when you are practicing in 35 degree weather on a parking lot trying to catch groundballs while football players have to knock the living heck out of each other in 95 degree weather with 50% humidity (which means it is a cool day for summer).

 

I say high school is more important than summer but you could still have both. Just start summer early and you may even cut down preseason for high school even more since everyone should be in playing shape.

What is more important Summer or High School?

 

Well it depends really. If you are looking to go to college on some sort of baseball scholarship the summer would be more important because thats the time where you get the most exposure to other colleges. If not that then High School

What is more important Summer or High School?

 

I would almost argue for summer ball here, SF1977. At least in my situation. Being from a small school in EKY, I haven't had much of a chance to be looked at, but thanks to playing in the summer/fall, I will be choosing from two different schools after their scholarship offers in a week or two.

 

I can see the other side of the argument, and it is more than valid! It just worked out that summer ball was more beneficial to me when it came to being looked at.

I would almost argue for summer ball here, SF1977. At least in my situation. Being from a small school in EKY, I haven't had much of a chance to be looked at, but thanks to playing in the summer/fall, I will be choosing from two different schools after their scholarship offers in a week or two.

I can see the other side of the argument, and it is more than valid! It just worked out that summer ball was more beneficial to me when it came to being looked at.

Hey congratulations there Baseball Fan, some school will be getting a really great person and player. Going to really miss those summer and fall games! Good Luck!!

I would almost argue for summer ball here, SF1977. At least in my situation. Being from a small school in EKY, I haven't had much of a chance to be looked at, but thanks to playing in the summer/fall, I will be choosing from two different schools after their scholarship offers in a week or two.

 

I can see the other side of the argument, and it is more than valid! It just worked out that summer ball was more beneficial to me when it came to being looked at.

Well done and make sure your academics, are a priority. If you need any help, let me know.
Hey congratulations there Baseball Fan, some school will be getting a really great person and player. Going to really miss those summer and fall games! Good Luck!!

 

Well done and make sure your academics, are a priority. If you need any help, let me know.

 

Thanks a lot, guys. Both of you!

 

I know, me too FB! Without question some of the best times of my life! But, hey, I'm pretty sure we will still be crossing paths!

 

Absolutely Strike, two of the best academic schools in the state! And I really appreciate that! I may need a good reference! :D

 

---At the same time, I am not saying that high school isn't important, because it absolutely is. All I wanted to say was that without summer/fall ball, I may not have gotten any oppurtunity to play college ball, period. And I know I am not the only one.

 

When you are not a stud in baseball, you need people to see you throw full games, and not just a single workout. Having an "extra" season to be seen, can be very beneficial.

Thanks a lot, guys. Both of you!

 

I know, me too FB! Without question some of the best times of my life! But, hey, I'm pretty sure we will still be crossing paths!

 

Absolutely Strike, two of the best academic schools in the state! And I really appreciate that! I may need a good reference! :D

 

---At the same time, I am not saying that high school isn't important, because it absolutely is. All I wanted to say was that without summer/fall ball, I may not have gotten any opportunity to play college ball, period. And I know I am not the only one.

 

When you are not a stud in baseball, you need people to see you throw full games, and not just a single workout. Having an "extra" season to be seen, can be very beneficial.

Very true and often times, student-athletes settle for schools in their area. Summer baseball, allows other colleges to see players from different states.

 

You'll do well.

I would almost argue for summer ball here, SF1977. At least in my situation. Being from a small school in EKY, I haven't had much of a chance to be looked at, but thanks to playing in the summer/fall, I will be choosing from two different schools after their scholarship offers in a week or two.

 

I can see the other side of the argument, and it is more than valid! It just worked out that summer ball was more beneficial to me when it came to being looked at.

 

Congrats BBF13! :thumb: Listen to Strike, keep those grades in order, and I' sure you will. Have fun this season and cherish every little bit.

What is more important Summer or High School?

 

Both are equally important. Dont ever kill one with the other. As has been stated I have seen at least as many players signed in Summer Ball as High School. Go to Marietta GA and watch the Perfect Game Tournament and you will see every college practically in the nation represented. It would not even be close as to a high school state tourney. Also colleges play when high school in playing and recruiting their is pretty much word of mouth and then they schedule to see them play in the summer. I think they are a perfect compliment to each other. Also some high school coaches never push their own players to a college coach.

 

I coach summer and fall ball and have had contact with probably more college coaches than most high school coaches. I have several kids each year contacted and receive several calls about when and where the player is going to be playing.

 

Sum it up, leave everything alone as both help acheive the same goal. Get kids in college.

  • Author

I guess after this week this idea doesn't seem as bad anymore. The cold weather turned every game into an arctic nightmare. I saw a shortstop have to run around a penguin to catch a groundball and saw an outfielder chase a really big snowflake yelling "mine" because he thought it was the ball.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.