Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Plane/Helo Crash in D.C.

Featured Replies

Late last night, a passenger airplane and an Army helicopter collided in Washington DC over the Potomac River.

Now in a recovery mode as no survivors are expected. They’ve already recovered 28 bodies. 

  • Replies 41
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • The TCAS system does not give audible warnings below a certain altitude to avoid confusion when landing. 

  • I am horrified to think that is a possibility. 

  • I was talking to someone earlier that lived in DC for years and flew out of DCA and Dulles multiple times.  She said the airport was never designed for the amount of traffic that it has today.  Over t

Hearing reports that some of the folks on the plane were involved with US Figure Skating. Not sure if that's skaters, officials, or both?

  • Author
2 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Hearing reports that some of the folks on the plane were involved with US Figure Skating. Not sure if that's skaters, officials, or both?

Sounds like skaters and coaches. 

  • Author

The video they have looks clear that the helicopter flew into the plane. 

So horrible.  67 people are feared dead.

We are all speculating but I strongly assume the plane was doing exactly what it was supposed to be doing on approach to land.  Additionally, I am thinking there had to be one or more mistakes with the chopper.  Possibly planning, procedure, pilot error, air traffic controller error or a combination of errors. 

  • Author
Just now, theguru said:

So horrible.  67 people are feared dead.

We are all speculating but I strongly assume the plane was doing exactly what it was supposed to be doing on approach to land.  Additionally, I am thinking there had to be one or more mistakes with the chopper.  Possibly planning, procedure, pilot error, air traffic controller error or a combination of errors. 

I'm thinking big time pilot error in the helicopter. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I'm thinking big time pilot error in the helicopter. 

If I had to guess I would would guess pilot error first, ugh.

I am listening to a former FAA investigator and he said the plane (Bombardier CRJ701ER) would have been going about 150mph and the Black Hawk (Sikorsky VH-60M) about 110mph.

Supposedly air traffic control tried to make contact with the helicopter right before the collision telling it to go behind the plane.  I say "supposedly" because I've only seen it reported once so far.  This seems to be all on the helicopter, whether a malfunction or pilot error.

  • Author
59 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Supposedly air traffic control tried to make contact with the helicopter right before the collision telling it to go behind the plane.  I say "supposedly" because I've only seen it reported once so far.  This seems to be all on the helicopter, whether a malfunction or pilot error.

There's audio. The helo acknowledged the plane and was supposed to divert around it. 

  • Author

Someone asked on TV if it were possible the helicopter was looking at the wrong plane and that's what caused the collision.

I can't see any way that would be possible. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Someone asked on TV if it were possible the helicopter was looking at the wrong plane and that's what caused the collision.

I can't see any way that would be possible. 

Some of what I heard appears ambiguous about seeing the plane.  How many planes were in sight and if the chopper saw the plane it eventually collided with why didn't it take evasive action?  Why didn't plane abort landing?  I have no idea on those questions, we need the black boxes and more detailed information from the FAA and NTSB.  

  • Author
Just now, theguru said:

Some of what I heard appears ambiguous about seeing the plane.  How many planes were in sight and if the chopper saw the plane it eventually collided with why didn't it take evasive action?  Why didn't plane abort landing?  I have no idea on those questions, we need the black boxes and more detailed information from the FAA and NTSB.  

Based on the video I've seen, to me it's plausible the plane didn't see the helo and that the helo either flew into the path of the plane, or directly into the plane where the pilots of the plane couldn't see it coming. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

Based on the video I've seen, to me it's plausible the plane didn't see the helo and that the helo either flew into the path of the plane, or directly into the plane where the pilots of the plane couldn't see it coming. 

I hear you but I would also think the instruments/anti-collision systems would have given each pilot multiple warnings.  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.