Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cooper 63 Lloyd 59

Featured Replies

Lloyd’s offense disappeared in the 4th quarter and made too many turnovers. Walker has to play in the paint and not roam the 3 point line if they have any shot at winning the 9th region. Huge game for Blaackar had to be a career high for him. Shoutout to Ej Walker for becoming the all time leading scorer in Lloyd Memorial history. Cool moment with the previous record holder Ryan Wilson in attendance at the game as well. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood23 said:

Lloyd’s offense disappeared in the 4th quarter and made too many turnovers. Walker has to play in the paint and not roam the 3 point line if they have any shot at winning the 9th region. Huge game for Blaackar had to be a career high for him. Shoutout to Ej Walker for becoming the all time leading scorer in Lloyd Memorial history. Cool moment with the previous record holder Ryan Wilson in attendance at the game as well. 

Yeah EJ and Blaackar got to get on the same page in big time games for them to make a run in the 9th they need 25+ for EJ and 15+ for Blaackar or they are going to keep losing the big games close. I didn't see any reason inperticular why EJ disappeared in the 2nd half other than he spent alot of time on the perimeter and then still he didn't even attempt a 3. In the last 3 minutes he was being subbed out on defense and there was no way it should have been due to fatigue because he really didn't get abused with bodies being thrown at him like you would think he would. I've said this before coach Walker needs to force feed the ball to EJ, he did have a few nice assist from the elbows and blocks. When he touches the ball around the paint their offense as a whole looks sooooo much better than him on the perimeter. Even if teams know it's coming so what Lloyd has to make the other team WORK to stop it and it then leads to Lloyds supporting cast getting easier looks. I'm not a basketball guru by any means and if I can see what their issues are it shouldn't be too hard for Coach Walker to correct it maybe he is saving something for a run at the end of the year. Cooper and Cov Cath picking up these wins that could have gone the other way could be huge confidence boost for them down the road depending how things shake out towards the end, as far as their looking at it Lloyds not on their level even though the scoreboard says it's closer than they feel. Lloyd should have won that game by 10. Props to Cooper for pulling it out when they probably shouldn't have.

3 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

 I didn't see any reason inperticular why EJ disappeared in the 2nd half other than he spent alot of time on the perimeter and then still he didn't even attempt a 3. In the last 3 minutes he was being subbed out on defense and there was no way it should have been due to fatigue because he really didn't get abused with bodies being thrown at him like you would think he would. I've said this before coach Walker needs to force feed the ball to EJ, he did have a few nice assist from the elbows and blocks. When he touches the ball around the paint their offense as a whole looks sooooo much better than him on the perimeter. 

100 percent. Too much lingering on the perimeter it’s the same old song and dance each year. I believe he was being subbed out the last 1:30/2 min with having 4 fouls. They definitely show flashes of their potential as a team but they have to close out these 4th quarters better. 

Hollywood23 is correct - EJ was being subbed in and out the last 3+ minutes because he had 4 fouls. I think coach was playing offense/defense to keep him on the floor on the offensive end. That being said, I agree he spends a lot of time on the perimeter. I saw Blaackar about 4-5 times last year and thought he was really good. I was even more impressed with him last night. Kid can really play. Lloyd tends to struggle a bit when they go to their bench they aren't very deep at all. On the other side, Sully just keeps his team grinding. I thought when Lloyd went up 9 in the 3rd quarter they might start to pull away but they didn't. Give Cooper a lot of credit on the road. Andy Johnson is so smooth. Nice crowd!

  • Author

EJ did post up a little more this game but struggled to finish around the rim.

2 hours ago, PP1 said:

EJ did post up a little more this game but struggled to finish around the rim.

He did have some nice finishes at the rim in the 1st half and played a great half. Yes he did struggle around the rim at the beginning of the 2nd half credit to Cooper for playing him tough and then it was like Lloyd abandoned it. EJ is good enough and so important to the offense as a whole that they can't just do that when it gets tough. He is good enough to work through that and I believe if they would have stuck with it he would of wore on Cooper and found a way to finish at the end when it really mattered. When they get E. Collins back he can really make some teams pay that give him open looks on the outside but that's only going to happen if EJ is consistently drawing all the attention to the lane.

3 hours ago, Baseball Nut 24 said:

Hollywood23 is correct - EJ was being subbed in and out the last 3+ minutes because he had 4 fouls. I think coach was playing offense/defense to keep him on the floor on the offensive end. That being said, I agree he spends a lot of time on the perimeter. I saw Blaackar about 4-5 times last year and thought he was really good. I was even more impressed with him last night. Kid can really play. Lloyd tends to struggle a bit when they go to their bench they aren't very deep at all. On the other side, Sully just keeps his team grinding. I thought when Lloyd went up 9 in the 3rd quarter they might start to pull away but they didn't. Give Cooper a lot of credit on the road. Andy Johnson is so smooth. Nice crowd!

@Hollywood23Yeah him being subbed out with 4 fouls on defense at that point in the game makes total sense I totally overlooked the foul trouble I forgot he picked up a couple bad ones back to back late in the game.

This was a huge win for the “young” Cooper Jags. By young I am referring to players who either started or played significant minutes from last season (only 2 regular starters returning and 1 major off the bench/part-time starter). 
 

Having played one of the toughest schedules to date and having just 4 losses by a total of 19 points has exceeded my expectations. This week alone with beating Lloyd and taking one a major district foe in Ryle tomorrow night will be huge in the 33rd. 
 

With the job Coach Sullivan has done with what the Jags lost to either graduation or major players transferring cannot be overstated. It’s still early but if the younger “inexperienced” players continue to develop and the team continues to grow, I look for the Jags to be right there in the mix come March timing. Sully squeezes everything he can regardless of who’s on his bench with the foundation of, play defense or you don’t play. I think is great to see 3 former Cooper Alum on Sully’s staff who are helping to instill the expectation of what they had to go through. 

Good luck Jags!
 

7 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

This was a huge win for the “young” Cooper Jags. By young I am referring to players who either started or played significant minutes from last season (only 2 regular starters returning and 1 major off the bench/part-time starter). 
 

Having played one of the toughest schedules to date and having just 4 losses by a total of 19 points has exceeded my expectations. This week alone with beating Lloyd and taking one a major district foe in Ryle tomorrow night will be huge in the 33rd. 
 

With the job Coach Sullivan has done with what the Jags lost to either graduation or major players transferring cannot be overstated. It’s still early but if the younger “inexperienced” players continue to develop and the team continues to grow, I look for the Jags to be right there in the mix come March timing. Sully squeezes everything he can regardless of who’s on his bench with the foundation of, play defense or you don’t play. I think is great to see 3 former Cooper Alum on Sully’s staff who are helping to instill the expectation of what they had to go through. 

Good luck Jags!
 

Coach Lutz who is head coach of the Jags freshman team and assist on the jv/varsity is also one heck of a coach and a great man. They definitely have them selves a top tier staff.

7 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

This was a huge win for the “young” Cooper Jags. By young I am referring to players who either started or played significant minutes from last season (only 2 regular starters returning and 1 major off the bench/part-time starter). 
 

Having played one of the toughest schedules to date and having just 4 losses by a total of 19 points has exceeded my expectations. This week alone with beating Lloyd and taking one a major district foe in Ryle tomorrow night will be huge in the 33rd. 
 

With the job Coach Sullivan has done with what the Jags lost to either graduation or major players transferring cannot be overstated. It’s still early but if the younger “inexperienced” players continue to develop and the team continues to grow, I look for the Jags to be right there in the mix come March timing. Sully squeezes everything he can regardless of who’s on his bench with the foundation of, play defense or you don’t play. I think is great to see 3 former Cooper Alum on Sully’s staff who are helping to instill the expectation of what they had to go through. 

Good luck Jags!
 

In reference to coach Lutz. I got to the Jags vs Juggs game early and caught the end of the freshman game and was sitting behind the Cooper bench and after their handshake line I noticed Lutz talk to a few of the Jugg freshman and he politely and respectfully gave them some tips on how to carry themselves in a professional manner and congradulated them after Lloyd won by about 15. I am sure Lloyds freshman coach preaches it too them all the time but it sometimes hits a kid different getting some calm life advice from someone outside their norm. It was cool to see him take a few moments to put some knowledge on some youth that aren't tied to him in anyway. 

  • Author
10 hours ago, Honey Badger said:

Coach Lutz who is head coach of the Jags freshman team and assist on the jv/varsity is also one heck of a coach and a great man. They definitely have them selves a top tier staff.

Good point. As I watched that game it seemed that Coach Sullivan gets a lot more from his assistant coaches then Coach Walker does. 

1 hour ago, PP1 said:

Good point. As I watched that game it seemed that Coach Sullivan gets a lot more from his assistant coaches then Coach Walker does. 

Nothing against Coach Walker but it's a culture thing at Cooper top to bottom which is why he has been so selective in the coaches that have been on staff since he was named the one and only coach back in 2008.  

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.