Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th grade question

Featured Replies

Can someone please verify for me? If an 8th grader plays and starts varisty her 8th grade year, can she go the following year to a different public school other than the High school that she is playing for, and play basketball. Her family would not be moving, she would just chose to play at another public high school. Or, does she set have to set out a year?

In Kentucky, the penalty for changing schools after playing varsity basketball only applies to high school students. An 8th grader can play every minute of every varsity game and still be free to play for another high school as a 9th grader.

In Kentucky, the penalty for changing schools after playing varsity basketball only applies to high school students. An 8th grader can play every minute of every varsity game and still be free to play for another high school as a 9th grader.

 

this is the last year that will work...starting next year, the player will be ruled ineligible to participate for one year I believe...

Aren't 8th graders blocked from playing varsity football and basketball?

8th graders can play varsity basketball, but not football.

HHS Dad - this is true for football and wrestling but not for Basketball at this time.

Just to straighten out the mess I started, 8th graders cannont play varsity soccer or football. 6th graders can't participate in varsity wrestling. Sorry for the confusion.

this is the last year that will work...starting next year, the player will be ruled ineligible to participate for one year I believe...

 

I hadn't heard anything about this. This will be a HUGE rule change for Kentucky High School basketball. Head Coach, do you have any more info on this?

:creepy:

I hadn't heard anything about this. This will be a HUGE rule change for Kentucky High School basketball. Head Coach, do you have any more info on this?

 

It's the new laws regarding the feeder schools...supposedly, students will have to pick their HS before they enter middle school. If they switch schools without moving into the new school's district, then they lose a year's eligibility...For example, if I went to RA Jones, then I would be required to attend Boone, unless I moved. If I transferred to Dixie, then I'd have to sit out my frosh year. I am pretty sure this will be the new rules. Are there any experts out there in KHSAA law land that can help me out here?

This is one of the proposals to be voted on or maybe already has, not sure. Go to the KHSAA.og website and click on "annual meeting information". You can read all the proposals and votes here.

This is one of the proposals to be voted on or maybe already has, not sure. Go to the KHSAA.og website and click on "annual meeting information". You can read all the proposals and votes here.
this hasnt been voted on yet. It still would have to be voted on by the Board of Control I heard. it would also take a few years to implement since a large group of kids would have to be grandfathered in by the old rules.

This supposed to cut down on people recruiting during the 7th and 8th graders to come to their high school. Now they will just start having to do their recruiting in the 5th grade, because whereever they play their 6th thru 8th grade, that is where they have to go to high school unless they want to sit out a year.

  • Author

Thanks to everyone for verifying what I thought was the correct answer. Just one more question that I have. If a girl's family were to move from one Kenton County district to another, would she be required to set out a year as well, since she would still be within Kenton County?

Thanks to everyone for verifying what I thought was the correct answer. Just one more question that I have. If a girl's family were to move from one Kenton County district to another, would she be required to set out a year as well, since she would still be within Kenton County?

BONA FIDE CHANGE IN RESIDENCE - If there has

been a bona fide change in residence by the parents and

student that precedes a student’s change of schools.

For purposes of this bylaw, a bonafide change of

residence means the moving permanent residence of

the entire family of the student and his/her parents

from one school district or defined school attendance

area into another school district or defined school

attendance area prior to a change in enrollment of the

student. A student who becomes emancipated does not

have a bona fide change of residence by virtue of his/her

emancipation and change of residence for purposes of

this bylaw.

 

I'm not sure how they define "defined school attendance area."

The KHSAA adopted a rule, out of the Public Private Debate, that would require any athlete or student in the 7th or 8th grade, that changes school districts after they begin the 7th or 8th grade, and then change attend a high school that they are not a direct feeder school for to sit out athletics their freshmen year. This was passed by delgate assembly and Board of Control and will be voted on by the State Bd of Education Feb 15. As I understand it this would first be applied to those who are sixthgraders now. So if you were in 7th or 8th this year it would not affect you. Under this rule if it becomes law...For instance if you were attending St. Matthew in Taylor Mill as a 7th or 8th grader but wanted to go to Scott youd have to sit out your freshmen year. If you went to Notre Dame, NCC, or Holy Cross you could since the Diocese will be considered one school district. However if you say went to Woodland Middle School you couldnt go to any private school without moving etc without sitting out freshmen year. You can go to school there just not participate in athletics

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.