Russell County hires Steven French

From Laker Country 104.9 WJRS on Facebook:

Russell County Football has its new head coach: Steven French! French has been an offensive and defensive coordinator for the Laker Football program the last few seasons and will now get the chance to lead the Lakers.

CoachFrench.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats to Steven. I am not sure if this is 100% accurate, so don't hold it against me. I was told his dad, Larry French was going to come help him if he got the job. It may be 1 year or so, but would be there eventually. 

• Like 2

I don't know Steven's bio very well but I know he played for his dad at Meade County.  He was also on staff with Larry at Boyle when they won the '09 and '10 state 4A titles.  Couple of years after that I think he moved to a position at Central Hardin for several years.  He rejoined his dad at Southwestern as OC for the next several years and I believe he's been at Russell County since they both left Southwestern.  I thought Steven should have gotten the job the last time it came open, but I'm glad he's getting his chance now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BEChargers said:

I don't know Steven's bio very well but I know he played for his dad at Meade County.  He was also on staff with Larry at Boyle when they won the '09 and '10 state 4A titles.  Couple of years after that I think he moved to a position at Central Hardin for several years.  He rejoined his dad at Southwestern as OC for the next several years and I believe he's been at Russell County since they both left Southwestern.  I thought Steven should have gotten the job the last time it came open, but I'm glad he's getting his chance now.  

It sounds like Coach French has the right experience and pedigree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

It sounds like Coach French has the right experience and pedigree. 

He knows football.  With the new facilities, it seems the school is upping it's support.  If he can get the best athletes in the school to come out and get community going with him I think he can have success there.  

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 8:23 PM, theguru said:

From Laker Country 104.9 WJRS on Facebook:

Russell County Football has its new head coach: Steven French! French has been an offensive and defensive coordinator for the Laker Football program the last few seasons and will now get the chance to lead the Lakers.

CoachFrench.jpg

Was he OC and DC same time?

12 hours ago, Westernside said:

Was he OC and DC same time?

No, he was the OC for most of his time at Russell Co.  Moved to DC with the most recent HC, Lucas Ford.  I assume Coach Ford was an offensive coach and wanted Coach French to stay on staff so Coach French moved to DC.  As with most high school football coaches I think they all can, and usually need to, coach both sides of the ball.  But Steven is an offensive guy.  He will run the offense for Russell County.  Don't know the staff well enough to know who his DC will be. 

• Thanks 1