12th Region Week 13 Rankings and District Tournament Preview

11 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

Are you certain?  I played at Somerset and graduated in 1974.  We never played Russell other than a preseason scrimmage my freshman year.  I don’t recall a Russell County team ever playing in the regional tournament.  What district would they have been in?

Wayne, Monticello, McCreary, Pine Knot. In 1975 they moved into a three-team district along with Lincoln County and Casey County. When the Mercer schools moved in during the early 1980s, Russell was placed back with Wayne, Monticello, and McCreary.

Russell lost to Danville in the 1969 region tournament, Hazel Green in 1970, Laurel County in 1972, and then Garrard County in 1977. So they were a semi-regular participant during your era.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Wayne, Monticello, McCreary, Pine Knot. In 1975 they moved into a three-team district along with Lincoln County and Casey County. When the Mercer schools moved in during the early 1980s, Russell was placed back with Wayne, Monticello, and McCreary.

Russell lost to Danville in the 1969 region tournament, Hazel Green in 1970, Laurel County in 1972, and then Garrard County in 1977. So they were a semi-regular participant during your era.

Thanks!  I’m not trying to argue, I just don’t remember anything about them.  I guess that’s because we didn’t play them.  I’m not sure why we didn’t schedule them, it’s an easy drive from Somerset.  

I remember seeing them play Somerset a few years after I graduated and they had a good player who played at Vanderbilt.  

• Like 1