Open Job: Apollo

Coach Starns has stepped down after a rough 3 year stretch that saw the program go 12-62 overall including 0-18 inside the 9th District.  I believe Starns is the first Coach in school history to fail to guide the program to a 3rd Region Title.   Wayne Chapman, John Whitmer, Will Wyman, Chuck Broughton, Greg Baughn, Tony Hopper, Steve Sergeant and Steve Barker all won titles for the Eagles.  Now the Eagles begin the search for the right person to lead them out of the worst stretch in the history of the program.

• Thanks 2

On 3/15/2023 at 7:19 AM, LethalPG said:

What’s the deal at Apollo?  They’ve struggled for awhile now.

That is a great question.  I think it is a number of factors.  During Steve Barker's time, a lot of folks who ran the feeder system had gotten older and stepped away from the program.  That really hurt the up and coming talent.  There really hasn't been a lot to work with compared to what Apollo has been used to since they opened the school.  I also think Tim Riley coming over to Catholic has drawn all of the transfer talent to Catholic instead of Apollo.  In the past, if an area kid was looking to transfer to a good stable program, Apollo would have been the pick.  That is just not the case anymore.  After Apollo went to state in 2018 with a senior heavy group, the following group just never came together.   Some kids quit to focus on other sports while others transferred out due to the instability.  Without kids coming over to join the program, they're going to have a long road back to being competitive for the next year or two, at least.

• 2 weeks later...