Who is your Class 1A Darkhorse 2022?

Last Year Bethlehem was our Darkhorse making all the way to the State Semifinals before losing to State Runner up Russellville.

Who do you think that will be in 2022? Could it be one a team not in the BluegrassPreps Class 1A Top 10? Give us your opinion on why you think so.

I'm stretching the boundaries of the definition of "darkhorse" here, but Frankfort could be on the ascent this season. The hiring of Ethan Atchley was one of the biggest coaching moves of the off-season and he seems to have already stoked an increased interest in football for the Panthers. When he took over at LCA eight years ago, they were coming off a 1-10 season. They won six games his first year, then eight, then ten… you get the picture. The guy can coach. He helped lay the groundwork for what LCA is today. He inherits a team in the capital city that won seven games last year and returns a solid foundation to build on:

- Quarterback

- A near 1,000 yard rusher

- Leading receiver

- Nearly all linemen

That kind of experience goes a long, long way at a 1A school. Plus, they've added to the roster.

Look for wins in the first two weeks and then a big game against Sayre with a possible top ten ranking on the line. A win there could potentially springboard the Panthers to greater heights than they've seen in a while. A state title - or even the semifinals - may be out of reach for now, but overtaking KCD in the district seems reasonable. They nearly got'em in the regular season last year before getting shutout in the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

I'm stretching the boundaries of the definition of "darkhorse" here, but Frankfort could be on the ascent this season. The hiring of Ethan Atchley was one of the biggest coaching moves of the off-season and he seems to have already stoked an increased interest in football for the Panthers. When he took over at LCA eight years ago, they were coming off a 1-10 season. They won six games his first year, then eight, then ten… you get the picture. The guy can coach. He helped lay the groundwork for what LCA is today. He inherits a team in the capital city that won seven games last year and returns a solid foundation to build on:

- Quarterback

- A near 1,000 yard rusher

- Leading receiver

- Nearly all linemen

That kind of experience goes a long, long way at a 1A school. Plus, they've added to the roster.

Look for wins in the first two weeks and then a big game against Sayre with a possible top ten ranking on the line. A win there could potentially springboard the Panthers to greater heights than they've seen in a while. A state title - or even the semifinals - may be out of reach for now, but overtaking KCD in the district seems reasonable. They nearly got'em in the regular season last year before getting shutout in the playoffs.

This^!

I don’t think Campbellsville will win a state title or get close to beating Pikeville or Hazard, but they should be very much improved. I think they could challenge for a region title if they gel well and get good line play. They have some really good athletes back and a whole new scheme on offense. 

10 minutes ago, GC-Dragons said:

I don’t think Campbellsville will win a state title or get close to beating Pikeville or Hazard, but they should be very much improved. I think they could challenge for a region title if they gel well and get good line play. They have some really good athletes back and a whole new scheme on offense. 

I will give some stats for them in a few. They also have a good amount of kids out compared to last year as well.. I do have my eye on them.

6 hours ago, GC-Dragons said:

Campbellsville returns over 1900 yards of offense. Return 8 of the top 11 in tackles from last season. 

• Like 1