Jesse Bates Contract

Jesse Bates is not attending the voluntary workouts the Bengals are holding currently. It appears he is done playing for the Bengals unless he gets a new contract. He has not signed the franchise tag contract and apparently has no intentions of doing so. He is not going to risk injury playing on that type of contract.

What would you do if you were Jesse Bates?

What should the Bengals do? Trade him to get some return? Give Bates the huge contract he is demanding?

From Google:

In the postseason, Bates registered 20 tackles, six pass breakups, and two interceptions, one of which came in Super Bowl LVI against Matthew Stafford and the Rams. Under the tag, Bates would be slated to make just under $13 million fully guaranteed for the 2022 season.

Also, from spotrac.com, his 2018 to 2021 entry contract was: 4 yr(s) / $4,947,814 and his Market Value now is 5 yrs, $74,364,435 for an Avg. Salary: $14,872,887.

I don't see how it makes sense for Bates to sit out. That is taking a pass on $13 million. How does he make that up? He is going to get paid next year. Probably not by the Bengals but he will get paid. That will happen whether he sits out or whether he plays. I don't see a reason to sit out. I hear people say he risks injury. Doesn't matter. He will get paid. Earl Thomas proved that. Broke his leg in his franchise tag year and still got the big contract that off season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Bengals doing him dirty. Drafting safeties to replace him instead of paying him.

They are willing to pay him, but just not set the market type pay and not the guaranteed type pay apparently he wants. 

Which is smart of the Bengals, because at the end of the day they have a lot of good young players who will be up for extensions in the next year or two. They aren’t going to be able to keep all of them, and while I like Bates. He is not as high on the list on guys I want to see them keep. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't see how it makes sense for Bates to sit out. That is taking a pass on $13 million. How does he make that up? He is going to get paid next year. Probably not by the Bengals but he will get paid. That will happen whether he sits out or whether he plays. I don't see a reason to sit out. I hear people say he risks injury. Doesn't matter. He will get paid. Earl Thomas proved that. Broke his leg in his franchise tag year and still got the big contract that off season.

This!