9th Region Top 10 Players for 2021-22 Season

I want to open this thread with a couple of things.  One, I think it is really hard to weigh gaudy stats on team with less depth, versus good stats on a great team, versus physical potential and recruitability (I think I made that up).  Meaning, two players have GAUDY stats on good, not great, teams, but while they are incredibly talented, they are asked to do a lot more.  Some players have more pedestrian stats but are swiss army knives, do it all, and their teams are great.  Some are in-between, really good stats (not gaudy, but excellent for sure) and very good teams.  It is a challenge.  What do you value when you think about Top 10 lists of players and seasons?

Secondly, threads about players are HARD and awkward, because no one wants to point out players less positive traits, and when you get into a discussion of Player X vs Player Y, you sometimes have no choice but to say "yeah, but, she doesn't / can't / isn't...." and that stinks.  That is why I've struggled in a few conversations with @Big Redor @PaulBlartbecause it is hard to compare and contrast without sometimes coming off negative, and that is NEVER my intention and really should have no place on a board like this (in my opinion) when talking about high school athletes.  So it is hard.  If I throw out 10, in NO ORDER, and you want to add one, you'd feel compelled to say "over so and so" and then you're stuck in that vortex of how do I not be critical of a hard-working young lady.  

So with all of that as a back-drop, ALPHABETICALLY, these would be my Top 10 players as we approach the final turn of this season-long journey.  Again, everyone's criteria for Top 10 will be a little different, and I'm all for throwing out other names (and I have a list in front of me of the 26 players who would make anyone's consideration set), but please don't ask anyone to engage in a debate where there is no course of action but harping on limitations or flaws of another player.

*  Quinn Eubank (Ryle)

*  Macie Feldman (Notre Dame)

*  Anna Hamilton (Conner)  [would get my 9th Region Co-Player of the Year award if I had one]

*  Lauren Hawthorne (Conner)

*  Abby Holtman (Ryle)

*  Julia Hunt (Holy Cross)

*  Maddie Lawson (Dixie)  [would get my 9th Region Co-Player of the Year award if I had one]

*  Jenna Lillard (Ludlow)

*  Whitney Lind (Cooper)

*  Rylee Turner (NewCath)

Honorable Mention:

*  Lacey Bradshaw (Notre Dame)

*  Noelle Hubert (Notre Dame)

*  Austin Johnson (Ryle)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great list.  Lots of talented players in the 9th region. Your comments about ranking players is spot-on.  Top players are consistent, impact the level of their teammates, change the way the other team plays.  Then the eyeball test, that varies totally with each of us keyboard warriors.  With the difference of school sizes and schedules, stats can be key indicators or deceiving.  Either way, the list above is all players that should be celebrated for their accomplishments and play.   

The players most impressive to me are:

Anna Hamilton - she makes her teammates better and is a fierce competitor that can get her shot off and score.  I never anticipated Conner playing as good as they are and I think that is due to Hamiltons play.  Big contributions from Lauren Hawthorne as well.  She would be my POY

Macy Feldman - has been the key player on the best team in the region.  She impacts all areas of the game and is very versatile.

Abby Holtman - is the best offensive player in the region.

All the players you listed are worth watching.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

I want to open this thread with a couple of things.  One, I think it is really hard to weigh gaudy stats on team with less depth, versus good stats on a great team, versus physical potential and recruitability (I think I made that up).  Meaning, two players have GAUDY stats on good, not great, teams, but while they are incredibly talented, they are asked to do a lot more.  Some players have more pedestrian stats but are swiss army knives, do it all, and their teams are great.  Some are in-between, really good stats (not gaudy, but excellent for sure) and very good teams.  It is a challenge.  What do you value when you think about Top 10 lists of players and seasons?

Secondly, threads about players are HARD and awkward, because no one wants to point out players less positive traits, and when you get into a discussion of Player X vs Player Y, you sometimes have no choice but to say "yeah, but, she doesn't / can't / isn't...." and that stinks.  That is why I've struggled in a few conversations with @Big Redor @PaulBlartbecause it is hard to compare and contrast without sometimes coming off negative, and that is NEVER my intention and really should have no place on a board like this (in my opinion) when talking about high school athletes.  So it is hard.  If I throw out 10, in NO ORDER, and you want to add one, you'd feel compelled to say "over so and so" and then you're stuck in that vortex of how do I not be critical of a hard-working young lady.  

So with all of that as a back-drop, ALPHABETICALLY, these would be my Top 10 players as we approach the final turn of this season-long journey.  Again, everyone's criteria for Top 10 will be a little different, and I'm all for throwing out other names (and I have a list in front of me of the 26 players who would make anyone's consideration set), but please don't ask anyone to engage in a debate where there is no course of action but harping on limitations or flaws of another player.

*  Quinn Eubank (Ryle)

*  Macie Feldman (Notre Dame)

*  Anna Hamilton (Conner)  [would get my 9th Region Co-Player of the Year award if I had one]

*  Lauren Hawthorne (Conner)

*  Abby Holtman (Ryle)

*  Julia Hunt (Holy Cross)

*  Maddie Lawson (Dixie)  [would get my 9th Region Co-Player of the Year award if I had one]

*  Jenna Lillard (Ludlow)

*  Whitney Lind (Cooper)

*  Rylee Turner (NewCath)

Honorable Mention:

*  Lacey Bradshaw (Notre Dame)

*  Noelle Hubert (Notre Dame)

*  Austin Johnson (Ryle)

I cant thank you enough for the amount of time you put into your weekly summary, along with your insight on all the other topics you share.  There are not very many outlets or forums for girls basketball or girls sports in general, so thank you for what you are doing!

By the way- Great List!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, UCME said:

I cant thank you enough for the amount of time you put into your weekly summary, along with your insight on all the other topics you share.  There are not very many outlets or forums for girls basketball or girls sports in general, so thank you for what you are doing!

By the way- Great List!

That is so kind of you, truly, that made my afternoon.  THANK YOU!!!  It is my pleasure, everyone gravitates on here to Football and Boys' Hoops, I love giving the other deserved athletes the attention and interest they deserve.  

Your post means so much.  

• Like 2

When your "honorable mentions" are those 3 names, that is a massive statement about the quality of girls basketball in NKY.  We were excited about our top 3 teams going into the year, and it turns out we have a super Top 5 in NKY.  

I am clearly missing out on not getting to see Conner this year.  Conner vs. Cooper in District playoffs will be a must see (semi-final not finals) game!  The 9th will be a battle royal!  Can't wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Barring something unforeseen, all of the 10+3 players listed above will make it to the Regional Tourney, with the exception of either Cooper (Lind) or Conner (Hamilton and Hawthorne).

Ludlow isn't a gimme, but they "should" be the 2nd team from the 34th -- although Coach Smart and SHDHS certainly have hopes of avenging their earlier season loss (and a game this week for seeding) in the District semi-finals.

• Like 1