Highlands 76 Taft (OH) 69

25 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

Highlands storms back from 22 down at half to defeat highly rated Rayvon Griffith and Taft.  Great win for the Birds!

Yeah, I saw C. Starks and his girl friend at the game cheering on Griffith and Taft.

This was such a fun and exciting game!  Or at least the 2nd half was for the Birds.  The Birds couldn't do much right in the 1st half and the Taft Senators could do no wrong in the 1st.  Taft had to hit at least 75% of their shots in the 1st half with the icing on the cake was a reverse layup to end the half with a big lead, 47-25 Taft.  

Then ONCE AGAIN, no idea what Coach Listerman says to these boys but he better be writing a book.  3rd quarter it was ALL BIRDS ALL QUARTER.  It also helped that Taft started missing their shots, like all of them.  Kocher and Benke were using all their muscle to box out the Taft players to not have any easy put backs or rebounds to set it up again.

You won't believe this when I say it but the Birds outscored Taft in the 3rd 25-5!!!!  Which cut the lead to 2, 52-50, still Taft up....

Then the 4th quarter Birds continued to play SOUND TEAM BASKETBALL.  Very little turnovers, ran their sets beautifully, Herald and Reed hit some crucial 3's and Barth, I mean Barth carved up the lane like cutting a piece of silky smooth C-A-K-E!  Instead of driving to the basket he would stop on a dime and pull up a 6-8 footer in the lane and draino!  I would really love to know what Barth's FG % was in the 2nd half, I don't think I remember him missing except maybe once on those pull up jumpers.

A game like this could really jump start something special for the Birds. A lot of people would have packed it in and called it a night at halftime, not these kids, they were the Comeback Birds tonight.

Super proud of these guys!

GO BIRDS!!!!

Top scorers:  Barth around 23'ish, Herald 14'ish, Reed 12'ish, Benke 11'sh.....well balanced team basketball

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

This was such a fun and exciting game!  Or at least the 2nd half was for the Birds.  The Birds couldn't do much right in the 1st half and the Taft Senators could do no wrong in the 1st.  Taft had to hit at least 75% of their shots in the 1st half with the icing on the cake was a reverse layup to end the half with a big lead, 47-25 Taft.  

Then ONCE AGAIN, no idea what Coach Listerman says to these boys but he better be writing a book.  3rd quarter it was ALL BIRDS ALL QUARTER.  It also helped that Taft started missing their shots, like all of them.  Kocher and Benke were using all their muscle to box out the Taft players to not have any easy put backs or rebounds to set it up again.

You won't believe this when I say it but the Birds outscored Taft in the 3rd 25-5!!!!  Which cut the lead to 2, 52-50, still Taft up....

Then the 4th quarter Birds continued to play SOUND TEAM BASKETBALL.  Very little turnovers, ran their sets beautifully, Herald and Reed hit some crucial 3's and Barth, I mean Barth carved up the lane like cutting a piece of silky smooth C-A-K-E!  Instead of driving to the basket he would stop on a dime and pull up a 6-8 footer in the lane and draino!  I would really love to know what Barth's FG % was in the 2nd half, I don't think I remember him missing except maybe once on those pull up jumpers.

A game like this could really jump start something special for the Birds. A lot of people would have packed it in and called it a night at halftime, not these kids, they were the Comeback Birds tonight.

GO BIRDS!!!!

Top scorers:  Barth around 23'ish, Herald 14'ish, Reed 12'ish, Benke 11'sh.....well balanced team basketball

Nice Writeup...enjoyed reading it, and glad the Birds pulled it off. 

• Like 1
  • theguru changed the title to Highlands 76 Taft (OH) 69
9 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

GO BIRDS!!!!

It's important what the coach says at halftime.....but not nearly as important as what players do in the second half!! Sometimes the opponent thinks it's over at half. Great job and nice win.

Scoring
Jersey Player 2-point
Field
Goals
Scored
2-point
Field
Goals
Attempted
3-point
Field
Goals
Scored
3-point
Field
Goals
Attempted
Free
Throws
Scored
Free
Throws
Attempted
Total
10 Barth, Zachary 10 13 0 3 2 2 22
12 Read, Leyton 1 4 4 4 3 4 17
15 Herald, William 2 3 3 8 1 2 14
30 Benke, Brody 4 9 1 1 0 0 11
2 Kocher, Cole 3 5 0 0 0 1 6
13 Harris, Oliver 1 9 0 0 2 2 4
5 Ryan, Seth 1 1 0 0 0 0 2
Field Goals (2pt and 3pt)
Jersey Player Field
Goals
Made
Field
Goals
Attempted
Field
Goal
%
  Team 30 60 50.0%
5 Ryan, Seth 1 1 100.0%
10 Barth, Zachary 10 16 62.5%
12 Read, Leyton 5 8 62.5%
2 Kocher, Cole 3 5 60.0%
30 Benke, Brody 5 10 50.0%
15 Herald, William 5 11 45.5%
13 Harris, Oliver 1 9 11.1%
3-Point Field Goals
Jersey Player 3-Point
Field
Goals
Made
3-Point
Field
Goals
Attempted
3-Point
Field
Goal
%
  Team 8 16 50.0%
30 Benke, Brody 1 1 100.0%
12 Read, Leyton 4 4 100.0%
15 Herald, William 3 8 37.5%
10 Barth, Zachary 0 3 0.0%
Free Throws
Jersey Player Free
Throws
Made
Free
Throws
Attempted
Free
Throw
%
  Team 8 11 72.7%
13 Harris, Oliver 2 2 100.0%
10 Barth, Zachary 2 2 100.0%
12 Read, Leyton 3 4 75.0%
15 Herald, William 1 2 50.0%
2 Kocher, Cole 0 1 0.0%
Rebounds
Jersey Player Rebounds
  Team 34
2 Kocher, Cole 6
5 Ryan, Seth 1
10 Barth, Zachary 7
12 Read, Leyton 5
13 Harris, Oliver 11
15 Herald, William 3
30 Benke, Brody 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Blueboy11 said:

Why does Highlands always worry about what someone else does?? So Starks supporting his friend... what's the best deal?

I am assuming you meant to say "What's the big deal?"

I would answer that question with another "Whose making it a big deal?"  I think @4 Quartersjust said he was there but didn't add any snarky comment other than the fact that he was there....

No one is worried about anything....

Go Birds!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blueboy11 said:

Why does Highlands always worry about what someone else does?? So Starks supporting his friend... what's the best deal?

Just for the record, I'm neither a Highlands, CCH, or Taft fan, also got to see Huntington Prep.  Just went to see what I thought would be a good game, just happened to see Mr. Starks.

5 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Just for the record, I'm neither a Highlands, CCH, or Taft fan, also got to see Huntington Prep.  Just went to see what I thought would be a good game, just happened to see Mr. Starks.

Huntington Prep was fun to watch wasn't it?  Those kids can bounce!!!!!

The funniest part of the game was 3 minutes into it McNick hits a 3 to cut the score to like 11-6, Huntington still winning.....and the McNick student section quickly chants "Overrated! Overrated!"  You have to enjoy the spirit of the youth, LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1