Making an Honest Person A Crook... Why there should never be intra district playoffs

Making an Honest Person A Crook... Why there should never be intra district playoffs

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.38.40%2BPM.png
November 1993, New Cath @ Paris

I learned much from working for Roger Gruneisen at Paris HS. There were only two things that got you kicked off the team... lying and stealing. But, it's never good to leave money, especially a large sum, laying out on the top shelf of your locker. Someone in need, really can be anyone, sees an opportunity to do the wrong thing, it can be tough to pass it up.

Intra district play in the first two rounds of the playoffs is that opportunity to do the wrong thing for a KHSAA Board of Control member. Without a doubt, at a minimum, it creates a signficant conflict of interest. 

As much as I try to do the right thing, it would be tough for me to pass on the opportunity to set up my team. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.42.12%2BPM.png
Coach William Harris (Mercer) & Coach Andy Frye (Centre College HFC)

Looking back on my Paris days (1992 thru 1995)... really would have been tough not to take advantage of that scenario if I was on the Board of Control. Our Paris Greyhound teams were very good. But, we were facing the northern KY gauntlet which went from good to great. Bellevue, Dayton, Lloyd, NewCath and Beechwood were all in that district. It would have been great if we could have let them beat the snot out of each other for 2 weeks, then play the winner in the region championship. During those years we were able to beat Dayton, Bellevue & NewCath in tough games.... but we never could get the Beechwood Tigers...who went on in both years (93 & 94) to win the state title. 

In 2021, if I was a member of the Board of Control, I could use my influence to get Mercer County put in a weak football district. Then, if we have intra district play for the first two rounds of the playoffs, Mercer County could be in a situation where we only had to beat two good teams (Region Championship & Semifinals) to reach the state championship.   I will be the first to admit, that would be TOUGH to pass up! How tempting to help my team, my school, our community.... good grief, even my own son who is our quarterback. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.42.32%2BPM.png
Coach Morris Allen Stewart & Trosper.
My Dad hired Coach Stewart @ Boyle(1969), right out of college

At least with sister districts, even if you are in an easy district for the regular season, it would be likely that you would have to play a quality opponent in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Now, you COULD set up your entire region to be weak, but that would be much harder to do, than simply putting your team in a weak district AND then getting intra district play so you can avoid the best teams until the 3rd round. 

Intra district play in the first two rounds of the playoffs... never a good idea. Don't tempt an honest person to do the wrong thing. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.39.19%2BPM.png
November of 2013, Practice before Region Championship, photo by Danny Weddle
  • Like 5

On 5/11/2021 at 11:55 AM, ChiefSmoke said:

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.38.40%2BPM.png
November 1993, New Cath @ Paris

I learned much from working for Roger Gruneisen at Paris HS. There were only two things that got you kicked off the team... lying and stealing. But, it's never good to leave money, especially a large sum, laying out on the top shelf of your locker. Someone in need, really can be anyone, sees an opportunity to do the wrong thing, it can be tough to pass it up.

Intra district play in the first two rounds of the playoffs is that opportunity to do the wrong thing for a KHSAA Board of Control member. Without a doubt, at a minimum, it creates a signficant conflict of interest. 

As much as I try to do the right thing, it would be tough for me to pass on the opportunity to set up my team. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.42.12%2BPM.png
Coach William Harris (Mercer) & Coach Andy Frye (Centre College HFC)

Looking back on my Paris days (1992 thru 1995)... really would have been tough not to take advantage of that scenario if I was on the Board of Control. Our Paris Greyhound teams were very good. But, we were facing the northern KY gauntlet which went from good to great. Bellevue, Dayton, Lloyd, NewCath and Beechwood were all in that district. It would have been great if we could have let them beat the snot out of each other for 2 weeks, then play the winner in the region championship. During those years we were able to beat Dayton, Bellevue & NewCath in tough games.... but we never could get the Beechwood Tigers...who went on in both years (93 & 94) to win the state title. 

In 2021, if I was a member of the Board of Control, I could use my influence to get Mercer County put in a weak football district. Then, if we have intra district play for the first two rounds of the playoffs, Mercer County could be in a situation where we only had to beat two good teams (Region Championship & Semifinals) to reach the state championship.   I will be the first to admit, that would be TOUGH to pass up! How tempting to help my team, my school, our community.... good grief, even my own son who is our quarterback. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.42.32%2BPM.png
Coach Morris Allen Stewart & Trosper.
My Dad hired Coach Stewart @ Boyle(1969), right out of college

At least with sister districts, even if you are in an easy district for the regular season, it would be likely that you would have to play a quality opponent in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Now, you COULD set up your entire region to be weak, but that would be much harder to do, than simply putting your team in a weak district AND then getting intra district play so you can avoid the best teams until the 3rd round. 

Intra district play in the first two rounds of the playoffs... never a good idea. Don't tempt an honest person to do the wrong thing. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2021-05-09%2Bat%2B2.39.19%2BPM.png
November of 2013, Practice before Region Championship, photo by Danny Weddle

Paris had some good teams in 93 and 94. They had some good players in Micheal Jackson and Corey Dumpford I think I’m spelling his name right.  The picture above is November 1994. New Cath didn’t play Paris in 93. We as in Beechwood beat Paris in the second round in 93. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluebird said:

Sister districts is a no brainer; it's coming back so we just have to be patient.

Since they are a no brainer, it would be more than reasonable to bring them back in 2021... especially considering the numbers 65% & 77%. 

• Like 3