Colonels_Wear_Blue

Former Covington Holy Cross coach Rob Kues has died.

Coach Kues spent a decade as the head girls coach at Holy Cross, taking over as skipper in the 1997-98 season, and stepping down after the 2006-2007 season with a record of 175-116. He remained on faculty at Holy Cross in the science department while also serving as a faculty member at Northern Kentucky University in the biology department where he taught for over 20 years.

Rob passed away unexpectedly yesterday.

• Like 1

Was very sad to see this....I did some coverage for local newspapers of Rob's Holy Cross team that included, I believe, a standout named Kelly Ferguson? Really outstanding player on a team with some nice complimentary pieces. I remember Rob was masterful in his approach to coaching that team and those girls and families really respected him. He was always kind, honest, and welcoming. 

I was confused why he stopped coaching at the high school level...he seemed like one of the area's best back then. My recollection is he accomplished quite a bit. But more than all that, he was just a good man. One of the guys I rooted for...

Prayers to his family and community!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Was very sad to see this....I did some coverage for local newspapers of Rob's Holy Cross team that included, I believe, a standout named Kelly Ferguson? Really outstanding player on a team with some nice complimentary pieces. I remember Rob was masterful in his approach to coaching that team and those girls and families really respected him. He was always kind, honest, and welcoming. 

I was confused why he stopped coaching at the high school level...he seemed like one of the area's best back then. My recollection is he accomplished quite a bit. But more than all that, he was just a good man. One of the guys I rooted for...

Prayers to his family and community!

Kelly was a really really good basketball player for Holy Cross, yes. Averaged 20 ppg as a senior and was named to the All "A" All-Tournament Team. She was a year behind Bethany Gastright who averaged 19 ppg her season up until she tore her ACL. Bethany went to NKU on a volleball scholarship, and Kelly went to Cumberland on a hoops scholarship.

Kelly was actually the first person I saw to post about Coach Kues on social media after I heard he had died.

• Like 1

This one is tough and going to hurt for a long time. I coached varsity girls with Rob in 2005/06 with Holy Cross. That was the senior year for Rachel Lantry and company. We connected as coaches and developed a 15 year friendship. He was one of my best friends. And yes, he was a great basketball coach but his passion was teaching, being in the classroom and helping kids. When I started Holy Cross Radio in 2011/12 Rob joined me to be part of my crew broadcasting the girls games and did so for the past 9 years. Things will never be the same for me or Holy Cross Radio as I will miss him dearly. Rest easy Rob. The Holy Cross and NKU community is deeply saddened.

• Like 7

On 10/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, Baseball Nut 24 said:

This one is tough and going to hurt for a long time. I coached varsity girls with Rob in 2005/06 with Holy Cross. That was the senior year for Rachel Lantry and company. We connected as coaches and developed a 15 year friendship. He was one of my best friends. And yes, he was a great basketball coach but his passion was teaching, being in the classroom and helping kids. When I started Holy Cross Radio in 2011/12 Rob joined me to be part of my crew broadcasting the girls games and did so for the past 9 years. Things will never be the same for me or Holy Cross Radio as I will miss him dearly. Rest easy Rob. The Holy Cross and NKU community is deeply saddened.

Well said, prayers for the Holy Cross family and friends.

• Like 1