St. Henry 67 Highlands 65

The Crusaders got a good win tonight even though they didn't play their best. Nic Simpson led all scorers with 31 and he was on fire. He's only a junior?? WOW!! I put my foot in my mouth earlier today saying "I don't think he can shoot from the outside". He did it well tonight. Other than him though Highlands has a bunch of football players trying to play basketball. It might take them a few weeks to make the switch but they'll be fine. Lots of fouling and rough defense in this very physical game, but wasn't dirty.

St. Henry was led by Ben Keubbing and his 19 points. 15 came in the first half. I believe Michael Rechtin added 16. Not sure on Lenhof but probably 12 or so. Matt Strohlendorf played well in the second half and had the go ahead basket for St. Henry with a little more than a minute on the clock.

Overall, this was great game to watch as a spectator. Lots of scoring, great defense and there was never a lead larger than St. Henry by 8.

Congrats to the Crusaders on a great TEAM win!!

The Crusaders got a good win tonight even though they didn't play their best. Nic Simpson led all scorers with 31 and he was on fire. He's only a junior?? WOW!! I put my foot in my mouth earlier today saying "I don't think he can shoot from the outside". He did it well tonight. Other than him though Highlands has a bunch of football players trying to play basketball. It might take them a few weeks to make the switch but they'll be fine. Lots of fouling and rough defense in this very physical game, but wasn't dirty.

St. Henry was led by Ben Keubbing and his 19 points. 15 came in the first half. I believe Michael Rechtin added 16. Not sure on Lenhof but probably 12 or so. Matt Strohlendorf played well in the second half and had the go ahead basket for St. Henry with a little more than a minute on the clock.

Overall, this was great game to watch as a spectator. Lots of scoring, great defense and there was never a lead larger than St. Henry by 8.

Congrats to the Crusaders on a great TEAM win!!

Kind of what I figured. You could see that type of game in the JV games last year at Highlands. Simpson and McGraw will need to carry the Birds and Hurtt,STein,Wise will need to bang down low. Simpson dropping 31 is pretty impressive. From what I read in the Enquirer... HHS had their chances in the end. Hopefully they learn from each game and by tourney time they are battle tested.

Congrats to the Crusaders on a big victory on the road.

Highlands was never not in this game. In fact, they led a good portion of it. Simpson had a chance to tie the game and missed the second of two free throws. Hurtt rebounded the miss with 3.8 seconds left and missed both free throws. St. Henry then made one of two with 3 seconds left. Nice out of bounds play just went off the finger tips of Drew Simons as time expired. With the style of play being used and the number of contributors this team will be in most games that it plays in this season.

Highlands was never not in this game. In fact, they led a good portion of it. Simpson had a chance to tie the game and missed the second of two free throws. Hurtt rebounded the miss with 3.8 seconds left and missed both free throws. St. Henry then made one of two with 3 seconds left. Nice out of bounds play just went off the finger tips of Drew Simons as time expired. With the style of play being used and the number of contributors this team will be in most games that it plays in this season.

I agree to some respect. They will have a handful of BAD games because they don't have another scorer. Lets think, Simpson had 31. If he only had 15 who would have scored for Highlands besides him. If Simpson is shut down I wouldn't have much confidence in many other guys to score except for McGraw.

Before the game all I heard from fans were "have they hit a shot in warm ups". I don't know why St. Henry never went to a zone. If other teams go 2-3 then who shoots from the outside. Last night there were very few good outside shooters.

Nice to hear the Birds were "scrappin' "...They WILL compete, night in and night out! Paper listed HHS with ZERO 3's??? ST. Henry had 4 !!! HHS 11 FT . SH 13...I wonder what the percentages were? All in all, Willie had it right in the paper...they will learn a BUNCH from this effort and be better for it. Keep Hustlin' Birds!! Anyone have any JV details???

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061213/SPT0302/612130354/1068/SPT

One correction in this article. St. Henry did not beat #5 (Cov) Holy Cross. They beat up on (Lou) Holy Cross last Saturday. Their only loss came to Simon Kenton in the opener, where St. Henry was leading by 6 at the half. (should have been up more) Then played their worst half of basketball all season in the second half which allowed SK to run away with the game.

JV lost by 5, I think. Played ok, but got out rebounded. Nobody boxing out. Geisting had a pretty good game. He scored about 7 of the first 8 points. Messer played his usual point guard, had some trouble getting by defenders. Frsehman players got alot of play time too. Biggest thing IMO, was not finishing when a player received a great pass down low. It happened on more than 1 occasion and more than 1 player, in too much of a rush. Fair hit a couple of shots. Kyle hit a big 3 when we were down by 7 or 8 maybe, not exactly sure, off a screen by Grubbs.

Boxing out is a "lost art" with the Soph. class. Even the FB players that played didn't want to "get in the kitchen"...which has always simply amazed me. Probably because boxing out and playing defense take work/heart. They had trouble finishing against Newport too. Austin Geisting could be a "Beast-ing" if and when he decides to own the paint....I think he still has a little "2 guard" in him. Jake Turner is the only consistent "boxer" they have on JV.

St. Henry is a veteran team with no football and should continue to play well. Highlands will improve as the season goes on. Actually thought St. Henry would win this one by a wider margin but a W is a W especially on the road.

All-A should be interesting this year. Guess St. Henry is the favorite now with Holy Cross and NCC looking to peak in January.