MLS is Back Tournament

8 hours ago, I gotta go to work said:

World Cup style tournament with Group play and then round of 16 knockout round. FC Cincinnati with a huge 1-0 win over Atlanta United today. One game to go in group play vs New York Red Bulls on July 22. Cincinnati will advance with a win. 

Bizarre game.  Cincy went up a man midway through the first half and was CRUCIFIED by the commentators for their defensive style of play thereafter.  But applied a little more pressure in the second half and got a late goal and were actually two men up when another Atlanta player went out with a few seconds to play.

Watching MLS and Premier Leagu soccer is like watching two completely different sports.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Bizarre game.  Cincy went up a man midway through the first half and was CRUCIFIED by the commentators for their defensive style of play thereafter.  But applied a little more pressure in the second half and got a late goal and were actually two men up when another Atlanta player went out with a few seconds to play.

Watching MLS and Premier Leagu soccer is like watching two completely different sports.

MLS is where old Premier League players are "put out to pasture".

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I watched the first FC game against Columbus when they got smoked 4-0.  I meant to turn it on yesterday morning, but forgot.

That one against the Crew wasn't pretty after the first 20 minutes or thereabouts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

In an unexpected result, FC Cincinnati advances to the Round of 16 with a 2-0 win over New York.  

I love their defensive counter attacking style...very effective with the talent level that they have.

Portland defeats FC Cincinnati 1-1 (4-2 pen kicks) last night in the round of 16.  Even though Portland dominated possession and number of shots, FCC should have won this game.  After a scoreless first half where Cincinnati was basically just knocking back everything Portland was throwing at them, the second half was much more interesting.  It is obvious FCC lacks individual talent but seems to be playing well defensively  as a team under the coach's new defend and counter attack system.  FCC put the ball in the goal first on a free kick, but VAR revealed that they were barely offside and the goal was disallowed.  The Timbers scored a few minutes later shortly after FCC had made some personnel changes.  I thought the match was over at that point, but the Portland goalie made a horrible mistake playing a long ball foolishly and fouling a Cincy player in the box.  FCC scored on the subsequent penalty kick to even the game at 1-1.  Just a few minutes later, after a series of beautiful passes, FCC had a change to go ahead, but the same player missed an easy bunny into an empty net from 4 yards out.  After regular time, the match went to penalty kicks.  FCC missed kicks 3 and 4.  Portland made all 4 of their kicks to win and advance to play NYCFC in the next round.