Guess The Year

I want to say 96 because that was the year Nelson won it all, but Garrard would have been in the top ten in 1A and they aren't.

I'll go with 1998.

Sound logic.. incorrect answers.

So here are some "remember when" topics for 1997:

1. Why was Louisville Valley so good? The Vikings not only capped off an impressive regular season, but they made a run all the way to the 3A Semi-Finals before losing to Hopkinsville (technically they didn't lose because it later would be deemed a forfeit).

2. This was the Bourbon County cinderella season. The Colonels, who finished outside the Top 10 at the end of the Regular Season, got red hot and rode it to a title. Lawrence County and Breathitt County played an epic game of undefeated teams with the Bulldogs ruining Holcomb's dynasty, then Bourbon turned around and posted a 14-0 upset to reach the Finals.

The rest was History:

3. A few other names of teams who stood out that have since not seen the same success:

Nelson County

Dunbar

Washington County

Marshall County

Edmonson County

Fulton County

Nelson County reached the Semi's but the rest failed to put their playoff runs together.

Middlesboro won it in 98 but had a regular season loss to Coach Hilton’s bobcats in a heart breaker. Also noted in 97 I’d when Boyle Co really became a staple in Kentucky High School Football. And Chuck Smith would knock off his former UK teammate in the 99 semis to begin an unprecedented streak and championship run for a County school.

Caldwell Co had a really good quarterback that year If my memory is correct.

Middlesboro won it in 98 but had a regular season loss to Coach Hilton’s bobcats in a heart breaker. Also noted in 97 I’d when Boyle Co really became a staple in Kentucky High School Football. And Chuck Smith would knock off his former UK teammate in the 99 semis to begin an unprecedented streak and championship run for a County school.

Caldwell Co had a really good quarterback that year If my memory is correct.

Not sure about QB, but they definitely had a great RB in the Fuqua kid who was a Junior. Remember him leading them to the Finals in 98.

1997 All-State Team

1997_CJ_All_State.pdf

Interesting Names;

Current WVU Coach Neal Brown

UK great RB and future NFL player Artose Pinner (who was the illegal player at Hopkinsville if memory serves)

Kentucky HS Legend Dennis Johnson

Beechwood stud Punter Adam Wulfeck

Middlesboro stud 2-way Linemen Floyd Branham

"Pocket Rocket" Jeremy Britt (Would transfer to Danville)

Future NCAAA 1-AA Championship QB Jason Michael of Lawrence County

Tim Perysian of Bourbon County who spearheaded that Cinderella run

Dunbar QB Ben Meighan... anyone remember him? Was also First Team in the AP All-State.

That's a pretty impressive list of QB's on the other teams and Honorable Mention that he beat out.