1. 1. Who Wins?

• Belfry
    • Archbishop Alter Kettering

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be tough for Belfry due to several factors:

1. That's a looooong bus ride up on a Friday. Probably 5+ hours by bus and time to stop for food as well.

2. Alter's strengths really play well against Belfry's weaknesses. The Knights have great size on the LOS and really sound LB play. Alter is an excellent Defensive team who is even better against the run than they are the pass. I expect the Knights to have good success against a Belfry O-Line that is still learning on the job and has struggled at times this season.

3. Belfry does not have the element of surprise. Part of what makes Belfry tough is noone really runs their style of Offense anymore and it is hard to prepare for in a week. Alter defeated Fairmont who appeared to run a similar version of the Flexbone in Week 1, and then played a Thurgood Marshall team who used a variation of the Flexbone as well.

This will be about the third week in a row of Alter practicing the same keys and reads.

What I have seen about Alter:

- They have no shortage of talent. They have a monster of a Junior RB in Branden McDonald (6'1 235), and he is very good. He already has a handful of FBS offers.

They have a Sophomore superstar in 6-4 220 CJ Hicks who plays both WR and SS. As a Sophomore he already has numerous offers including Miami, Kansas State, Iowa, and Georgia Tech. This guy is going to be a 4* or 5* player, he is a stud.

They have a really good QB in 6'2 210 Kale Steneman. Big physical QB who is very good running the ball and accurate throwing it.

They also have as good of a MLB as Belfry will see in 6'2 220 Mason Henry. Henry has several smaller offers including Colgate. He is what you think of when you think of a MLB from a great team in Ohio. Hard nosed, smart, and physical.

- Offensively they split their Offense between the true Wishbone and the spread with some mid-line. They are a formidable lot with their size up front, and then when you add two monsters in Steneman and McDonald as the primary ball carries it makes them very tough.

-Defensively, expect them to play a 5-3 look against Belfry's flexbone. They will play a single deep Safety, the two other CB's are essentially more like Free Safeties with eyes on the wing backs or Ends with the responsibility of reading cues and either choosing to cover them out of the passing game, or coming up hard in run support on either the option or anything outside.

- Watching Alter I see a lot of similarities to Belfry. Maybe not so much in scheme, although it is a pleasant surprise and sure to bring a smile to Coach Haywood's face to see the true Wishbone being used, but from the fundamental standpoint it is very reminiscent of watching Belfry. What you see is what you get with Alter, no smoke and mirrors. They want to control the clock, win the Line of Scrimmage, and not beat themselves.

- I think this game comes down to short fields and big plays. It is going to be an absolute war up front all night and going to be very hard for teams to consistently put 12-15 play drives against the opposing Defenses. Belfry needs to get those sudden change plays that Dixon and Bentley are capable of, and Belfry cannot find themselves playing from behind because possessions will be limited and that clock will be flying by.

I am going to say this one will be just a little too tough for Belfry unfortunately. The Pirates end up better by playing this game, but Alter just is too stout and wins the battle against Belfry's O-Line.

Alter 24

Belfry 14

Alter beats 9/10 KY teams they play.

I love what I see from them on film.

Belfry played Ironton, Ohio from 1993 to 2005 back when Coach Lutz was there. They really remind me of those old Ironton teams.

By and large Belfry held their own and the games were always super competitive, but Ironton won 12 of the 13 meetings. Ironically, the lone Belfry win was in 1999 when Belfry only reached the Regional Finals and Ironton went on to a State Runner-Up.

I think this will be very reminiscent of those games. Belfry will compete, but I just think Alter is a little too stout.

I love what I see from them on film.

Belfry played Ironton, Ohio from 1993 to 2005 back when Coach Lutz was there. They really remind me of those old Ironton teams.

By and large Belfry held their own and the games were always super competitive, but Ironton won 12 of the 13 meetings. Ironically, the lone Belfry win was in 1999 when Belfry only reached the Regional Finals and Ironton went on to a State Runner-Up.

I think this will be very reminiscent of those games. Belfry will compete, but I just think Alter is a little too stout.

Very strong team but Belfry is a quality program. Alter puts on a running clock on most of KY. Belfry, typically can hold their own though.

You won’t see too many 6’8” 245lbs and 6’4” 350 tackles on the same team again. Hicks was at the OSU/UC game, he’s gonna be a Buckeye.

Edited by John Anthony

Very strong team but Belfry is a quality program. Alter puts on a running clock on most of KY. Belfry, typically can hold their own though.

You won’t see too many 6’8” 245lbs and 6’4” 350 tackles on the sane team again. Hicks was at the OSU/UC game, he’s gonna be a Buckeye.

Hicks is going to be a baaaaddddd dude. Looks college ready as a Sophomore.

Hicks is going to be a baaaaddddd dude. Looks college ready as a Sophomore.

He’s still trying to figure things out, being so young but boy does he flash. He reminds me of Mike Mitchell at Highlands his senior year (if you know him) playing safety. Same game except CJ is 6’4”.

If any Alter fans venture here, this is my self scouting report of Belfry as a program and a team:

- First and foremost, if you talk about Belfry you have to talk about Coach Philip Haywood. Haywood is Kentucky's All-Time winning-est coach and one of the Top 10 active winning-est coaches in America. He is 440-134 and is in his 45th year as a Head Coach. The level of success he has had at rural Belfry, Kentucky (a county school in Appalachia) is astounding.

He has guided Belfry to the State Finals 12 times and has won 6 of those, the most recent being in 2016 when Belfry capped off a streak of 4 straight titles in Class 3A.

- Belfry's program is ripe with pride and community support. Belfry usually travels very well, though the 4.5 hour trip may be a bit of a steep offering this week. Belfry is in the heart of coal mining country and to say coal mining is synonymous with this program is an understatement. Probably 2/3 if not more of these kids come from father's who have worked in the mines, and as the coal industry has been impacted so has Belfry's population in recent years. The blue collar mentality of coal mining is very prevalent in the work ethic of Belfry teams.

- Haywood's philosophy is to ground and pound you on Offense. For decades Belfry ran exclusively out of the Wishbone, they now primarily run out of the flexbone. It is typically not surprising if Belfry plays an entire game without attempting a single pass, in fact most of those six titles were won without a completed pass.

Defensively Belfry for decades played a base 5-2, but in recent year's it has kind of evolved into a hybrid 3-4 instead. Traditionally speaking, Belfry has been stout against the run and more of a "bend but don't break" defense against spread teams.

- Belfry has had a surprising amount of success in producing players that go on to the next level, in terms of Eastern Kentucky schools, none really even come close to comparing and have even had a couple guys have a cup of tea at the NFL level.

In keeping with that, Belfry has two D-1 recruits on this team in DE/LB Grayson Cook (Air Force Commit) and RB/DB Ben Bentley (Youngstown State Commit). Additionally, C Ethan Wolford, JR RB/DB Isaac Dixon, and JR QB/S Brett Coleman will all be playing on the next level at some level. Wolford is committed to a Division II school and expect Dixon and Coleman's recruitment to take form next Summer.

- In terms of the 2019 Belfry team:

So far they have played without Coleman but he is expected back this week and should boost their Offense and Defense.

Isaac Dixon has been unbelievable and has been one of the most electrifying backs in Kentucky, additional Bentley and FB Peyton Hensley has had their fair share of success and big plays. Belfry lost all but Wolford from last year's line and has had considerable growing paints. They still have good size, but at times the line has struggled and individual efforts by the skill players has been needed.

Defensively, with the exception of a couple big plays against Lexington Christian Academy, the Pirates have looked really good so far. Belfry's LB's are really impressive and though the Secondary lacks depth, they have plenty of experience. Belfry's D-Line was their week spot the past two seasons, but they have really played well so far led by big NT Jacob Baisden.

Belfry is one of three teams expected to be the most likely contenders in Class 3A this year.

If any Alter fans venture here, this is my self scouting report of Belfry as a program and a team:

- First and foremost, if you talk about Belfry you have to talk about Coach Philip Haywood. Haywood is Kentucky's All-Time winning-est coach and one of the Top 10 active winning-est coaches in America. He is 440-134 and is in his 45th year as a Head Coach. The level of success he has had at rural Belfry, Kentucky (a county school in Appalachia) is astounding.

He has guided Belfry to the State Finals 12 times and has won 6 of those, the most recent being in 2016 when Belfry capped off a streak of 4 straight titles in Class 3A.

- Belfry's program is ripe with pride and community support. Belfry usually travels very well, though the 4.5 hour trip may be a bit of a steep offering this week. Belfry is in the heart of coal mining country and to say coal mining is synonymous with this program is an understatement. Probably 2/3 if not more of these kids come from father's who have worked in the mines, and as the coal industry has been impacted so has Belfry's population in recent years. The blue collar mentality of coal mining is very prevalent in the work ethic of Belfry teams.

- Haywood's philosophy is to ground and pound you on Offense. For decades Belfry ran exclusively out of the Wishbone, they now primarily run out of the flexbone. It is typically not surprising if Belfry plays an entire game without attempting a single pass, in fact most of those six titles were won without a completed pass.

Defensively Belfry for decades played a base 5-2, but in recent year's it has kind of evolved into a hybrid 3-4 instead. Traditionally speaking, Belfry has been stout against the run and more of a "bend but don't break" defense against spread teams.

- Belfry has had a surprising amount of success in producing players that go on to the next level, in terms of Eastern Kentucky schools, none really even come close to comparing and have even had a couple guys have a cup of tea at the NFL level.

In keeping with that, Belfry has two D-1 recruits on this team in DE/LB Grayson Cook (Air Force Commit) and RB/DB Ben Bentley (Youngstown State Commit). Additionally, C Ethan Wolford, JR RB/DB Isaac Dixon, and JR QB/S Brett Coleman will all be playing on the next level at some level. Wolford is committed to a Division II school and expect Dixon and Coleman's recruitment to take form next Summer.

- In terms of the 2019 Belfry team:

So far they have played without Coleman but he is expected back this week and should boost their Offense and Defense.

Isaac Dixon has been unbelievable and has been one of the most electrifying backs in Kentucky, additional Bentley and FB Peyton Hensley has had their fair share of success and big plays. Belfry lost all but Wolford from last year's line and has had considerable growing paints. They still have good size, but at times the line has struggled and individual efforts by the skill players has been needed.

Defensively, with the exception of a couple big plays against Lexington Christian Academy, the Pirates have looked really good so far. Belfry's LB's are really impressive and though the Secondary lacks depth, they have plenty of experience. Belfry's D-Line was their week spot the past two seasons, but they have really played well so far led by big NT Jacob Baisden.

Belfry is one of three teams expected to be the most likely contenders in Class 3A this year.

That is one heck of a preview! Are you coming to Dayton?

That is one heck of a preview! Are you coming to Dayton?

I am not, I will be listening in on 93.1 WDHR | Today's Best Country | Pikeville, KY

My hope is Belfry emerges injury free and gets Coleman back and can show signs of timing being in tune.

Watching Alter and I can't help but want to compare them to CAL and DeSales in 3A. I think they are a what DeSales would look like if they had three D-1 talents on their roster. If Belfry can hang with them I think it speaks well what they can do in 3A.