Reds at Rockies (7/12 - 7/14)

My 10,000 post and I have been waiting all week to post it. The Reds just blew yet another game. First, why does Bell bring in Hernandez who has really been struggling instead of Lorensen? Then the Reds just continue to pound those lefty's down and in and watch those homers fly. Nobody but Igelias or Lorenzen should have pitched the eighth inning. To finish my 10,000 posts, I love BGP, Fantasy Football, UK Wildcats, Mason County Royals, I miss my Dad and God Bless the USA!!!!!

I love Reds and Bengals but they just really frustrate me.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pin tonight's loss on David Bell. I don't fault Hernandez. He is struggling. The manager has to recognize that and adjust. Bell should not have put him out there in that situation.

Agree on that. He has not done a very good job managing the pitching moves this year. His best characteristic is probably the way he fights for his players.

Agree on that. He has not done a very good job managing the pitching moves this year. His best characteristic is probably the way he fights for his players.

It is very hard to argue against the performance of the pitching staff. People did not expect much and they are one of the top staffs in the league.

I do think Bell made a mistake last night. It was an uncharacteristic mistake. His moves are very analytic driven. He isn't afraid to risk the wrath of a player and move a player out of a slot based on analytics e.g. Iglesias taken out of closing. Using Hernandez last night was an old school manager move, not a new era analytic based move. It was the old "he will work his way through it" mantra.

My only complaint on Bell's pitching moves overall is the early hook on starting pitchers. Pulling starting pitchers who are pitching really well at 80 pitches is not a good thing any way you look at it.

Blackman doubles and Puig throws it into the dugout for the second time. Just like last night, we start the inning with Hernandez. Let them catch up and bring in Lorenzen. Three run leads on the road are just not as valuable as they used to be.

To update people on more positives. The Reds have now scored 17 runs in this game. Senzel has 4 hits, as noted Votto has 2, Erwin right now is 6 for 6 in this game! Puig also has 4 hits! So a lot of good things have happened in this game with the bats. Hopefully they can keep this up tomorrow too.

It is very hard to argue against the performance of the pitching staff. People did not expect much and they are one of the top staffs in the league.

I do think Bell made a mistake last night. It was an uncharacteristic mistake. His moves are very analytic driven. He isn't afraid to risk the wrath of a player and move a player out of a slot based on analytics e.g. Iglesias taken out of closing. Using Hernandez last night was an old school manager move, not a new era analytic based move. It was the old "he will work his way through it" mantra.

My only complaint on Bell's pitching moves overall is the early hook on starting pitchers. Pulling starting pitchers who are pitching really well at 80 pitches is not a good thing any way you look at it.

Not saying anything bad about the performance of the staff for the most part, 3rd ranked in MLB, I’m talking about some of his moves, just like the ones you just described or why wasn’t Peralta in Friday facing the lefties in the 8th that homered.

Poor Hernandez has just turned putrid.

Good to see the sticks break loose, another example of just putting Senzel in the leadoff spot and leave him alone!

Edited by 16thBBall Fan

For those not watching and maybe have only checked in on here. Votto also has 2 hits, 2 runs scored, and an RBI in this game.

And he also grounded into two double plays with runners on base and the second one my six year old grand daughter could have beat him down to first. Even the announcers committed on it. Then struck out looking and got ejected. One of the hits was a bleeder to left field, he dove and missed it. That is where he gets a third of his hits. This was not a good Votto game.