Open Job: Scott

What is wrong with the feeder school program?

Like many schools it's numbers. Girls are being pulled up in 7th and 8th grade to fill Freshman and JV numbers, leaving the middle school teams thin. Plus, many times, the girls being pulled up aren't always ready, sometimes hampering their development. This is a problem in many girls sports.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many schools it's numbers. Girls are being pulled up in 7th and 8th grade to fill Freshman and JV numbers, leaving the middle school teams thin. Plus, many times, the girls being pulled up aren't always ready, sometimes hampering their development. This is a problem in many girls sports.

I definitely agree that too many young players are being brought up too early but some programs have to do so because of the recruiting that goes on in the grade schools. Their is no "gentlemen's agreement" that you stay away from kids that are not in your feeder school so sometimes you have to pull up girls who have potential just to keep them in the program.

I definitely agree that too many young players are being brought up too early but some programs have to do so because of the recruiting that goes on in the grade schools. Their is no "gentlemen's agreement" that you stay away from kids that are not in your feeder school so sometimes you have to pull up girls who have potential just to keep them in the program.

I think it depends on the answer to this question... "Why are HS numbers thin?" I've believe only 17 girls came out for all of High School (F, JV & V) whereas it has been 30 or 40+ in the recent past. I would imagine that if the numbers were strong in High School, they wouldn't have the need to pull up, correct?

So the question is, why are there so few players at a school that size?

Over the last several years, there have been many girls leave this program, reportedly to concentrate on other sports. There are also a couple who have transferred to other schools.

Over the last several years, there have been many girls leave this program, reportedly to concentrate on other sports. There are also a couple who have transferred to other schools.

Any idea why? They seem annually competitive.

I would not want my daughter to go there. It does not have the reputation of being a good school.

Stop it. Have you spent a day in the building? Do you get to spend any time with any of the students, faculty, coaches or administraion? That reputation is there because folks who have no connection to the school and really don't know keep bringing it up in situations like this. Get to know some parents and students before speaking about how "bad" the school is.

And yes, I take this very personally.

Stop it. Have you spent a day in the building? Do you get to spend any time with any of the students, faculty, coaches or administraion? That reputation is there because folks who have no connection to the school and really don't know keep bringing it up in situations like this. Get to know some parents and students before speaking about how "bad" the school is.

And yes, I take this very personally.

My nieces and nephew go there. My wife’s cousins went there. I have some friends that used to teach there.

I’ve spent a good amount of time in the building but not actually during the school day.

I have never met a principal.

My nieces and nephew go there. My wife’s cousins went there. I have some friends that used to teach there.

I have never met a principal.

Then your comments really surprise me. I can't speak for what happened or what is was like prior to the last 15 or so years before my involvement with the school. And while there are issues (none of which are unique to Scott), I've got nothing but good things to say about the experience that my kids, and many of the families I know have had there.

Then your comments really surprise me. I can't speak for what happened or what is was like prior to the last 15 or so years before my involvement with the school. And while there are issues (none of which are unique to Scott), I've got nothing but good things to say about the experience that my kids, and many of the families I know have had there.

I'm sure every school has shortcomings and every school has great success stories. With a group of people as large as Scott, I'm sure there are plenty of both. Perhaps the negative moments are just spoken louder than the positives.

I personally was just surprised to hear that place so large having only 17 girls coming out to play basketball. Almost speaks even greater to the job Coach Klette did, unless there's something else there I don't know about.

I'm curious to know the exact enrollment numbers. I think it is the smallest of the three high schools.

It’s by far the smallest of the 3 Kenton Co schools. I believe Scott is in the 900 range, as to where Dixie has between 1400-1600, and Simon Kenton has somewhere between the 1600-1800 range.

The best thing to do to fix this issue is close the open enrollment and move the district lines and bring more of northern Independence into the Scott district. With the last redistricting, pretty much all of Edgewood was taken away from Scott. It used to be in the last 20 years or so that everything on Dudley Rd. Up to Turkeyfoot Rd. Was Scott district. Now they don’t even get to the top of the Dudley Rd. hill.

It’s by far the smallest of the 3 Kenton Co schools. I believe Scott is in the 900 range, as to where Dixie has between 1400-1600, and Simon Kenton has somewhere between the 1600-1800 range.

The best thing to do to fix this issue is close the open enrollment and move the district lines and bring more of northern Independence into the Scott district. With the last redistricting, pretty much all of Edgewood was taken away from Scott. It used to be in the last 20 years or so that everything on Dudley Rd. Up to Turkeyfoot Rd. Was Scott district. Now they don’t even get to the top of the Dudley Rd. hill.

So with that information, I would pose the question again... how desirable do you think this position is? The winning has been pretty strong lately. But is that a temporary thing and the talent will eventually dry up, or does this program have all the tools to win big for years to come?