November 7, 200619 yr How do you prevent it? Could they hold coaches to the recruiting rules upon their taking another job? If it was found out that a violation/improper contact occurred, that violation would follow you to the new site.
November 7, 200619 yr Could they hold coaches to the recruiting rules upon their taking another job? If it was found out that a violation/improper contact occurred, that violation would follow you to the new site. How? I got fired from my job and am currently not under contract with any university. I take a job with Nike to provide income. I talk to kids all the time trying to get them to come to Nike camps or go to Nike schools. I now get a job offer from a school. That school should be punished?
November 7, 200619 yr No, the President's quote hammering a fellow University of higher learning. Low-brow, IMHO. I hope he's ready for what lies ahead...
November 7, 200619 yr How? I got fired from my job and am currently not under contract with any university. I take a job with Nike to provide income. I talk to kids all the time trying to get them to come to Nike camps or go to Nike schools. I now get a job offer from a school. That school should be punished? If you are following the guidelines of your present employer that is different. My understanding was that he simply was unemployed for the most part and contacting these recruits as Coach Huggins. If he was an employee of NIKE, I would want a specific contract and listing of his responsibilities detailing that he was working under their guise in his contacts with these recruits. Can that totally prevent it? No. But it goes toward stopping an unemployed coach from doing what he wants, whenever he wants to do it.
November 7, 200619 yr If you are following the guidelines of your present employer that is different. My understanding was that he simply was unemployed for the most part and contacting these recruits as Coach Huggins. If he was an employee of NIKE, I would want a specific contract and listing of his responsibilities detailing that he was working under their guise in his contacts with these recruits. Can that totally prevent it? No. But it goes toward stopping an unemployed coach from doing what he wants, whenever he wants to do it. He's been a Nike guy for almost 20 years. I'm sure finding him a "job" wouldn't be an issue...
November 7, 200619 yr He's been a Nike guy for almost 20 years. I'm sure finding him a "job" wouldn't be an issue... And I would expect them to require this and no way to prevent this. What I would expect is that they setup guidelines for proving this in the future and preventing an unemployed coach to have free reign to do what he wants, if he rejoins the NCAA coaching ranks. I would also expect in the future that they would want a "Nike" coach to show proof of what they were doing. And if there is something underhanded or unethical going on, let Nike be willing to put their reputation on the line for that coach. No way to 100% police the situation but you can setup guidelines that will at least help.
November 7, 200619 yr And I would expect them to require this and no way to prevent this. What I would expect is that they setup guidelines for proving this in the future and preventing an unemployed coach to have free reign to do what he wants, if he rejoins the NCAA coaching ranks. I would also expect in the future that they would want a "Nike" coach to show proof of what they were doing. And if there is something underhanded or unethical going on, let Nike be willing to put their reputation on the line for that coach. No way to 100% police the situation but you can setup guidelines that will at least help. So what if they let him run the major camps? Now he's an actual authority figure over the campers while he's off. Slippery slope...
November 7, 200619 yr So what if they let him run the major camps? Now he's an actual authority figure over the campers while he's off. Slippery slope... I don't see anyway you can limit him in finding other employment as cshs81 was alluding to. No way, you can penalize him for having a job and him performing those responsibilities in his new job. The only thing I can even guess that MIGHT be able to address is the unchecked, unemployed coach.
November 7, 200619 yr I don't see anyway you can limit him in finding other employment as cshs81 was alluding to. No way, you can penalize him for having a job and him performing those responsibilities in his new job. The only thing I can even guess that MIGHT be able to address is the unchecked, unemployed coach. And that's part of my concern. It would just create more loopholes to be exploited in the long run...
November 7, 200619 yr And that's part of my concern. It would just create more loopholes to be exploited in the long run... Whereever there are adults that border on the line of ethics, they will exploit loopholes. No way to stop it. That is a result of our win at all cost mentality in this country. Look at the tone of our elections. It doesn't matter whether you tell the truth or skirt around it in political ads. All you can hope to do it minimize the damage.
November 7, 200619 yr Jon Wefald became K-State's 12th president in 1986. Kansas State avoids NCAA sanctions Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Feb 19, 1999 Kansas State's football program escaped serious NCAA sanctions Thursday in the case of a junior college recruit who took money from a booster to buy a used car. The NCAA Committee on Infractions accepted penalties Kansas State already had imposed on itself in the case involving running back Frank Murphy. The school declared Murphy ineligible for four games last season and disassociated itself from the boosters involved. The NCAA committee did extend by one year the probation that Kansas State was serving for unrelated violations in 1994-'95 in track and women's basketball. The probation was extended until May 31, 2000.
November 7, 200619 yr Whereever there are adults that border on the line of ethics, they will exploit loopholes. Huggy Bear? No way...
November 7, 200619 yr Huggy Bear? No way... I have to admit, whenever I think of Huggy Bear, one of the first images that pops up in my mind is Blazin Saddles and Alex Karras punching the horse. Too hilarious. I might have to go home and watch that movie now.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Also, I know many don't agree, but his coaching clinic I attended was one of the very best that I have ever attended. And most of my defensive coaching mindset comes from him. I taught my 12-year old girls last night, if someone comes across the lane, they HAVE to pay a physical price for trying to make that move.
November 8, 200619 yr Even if this quote was 100% accurate, it still lacks class. Not a comment that should be made by any person who publicly represents a university or organization.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.