Pirates at Reds (5/22 - 5/24)

Votto with yet another base running gaff in the ninth by not tagging up and trying to score in the ninth with the pitcher up next. To be as talented as Votto, his base running skills and fielding decisions are highly suspect. Short bench hurt Reds last night as pitcher had to bat in last inning.

I know they were all over him on TV for not trying it....but, honestly, from the camera angles that I saw, he'd been out by a mile. I don't think Hatcher sends most guys running at full speed if the left fielder has the ball where he caught it last night...let alone one of the slowest guys on the team, from a dead stop. Billy...Peraza...Schebler... Scooter? Sure. Votto...Barnhart...Winker? I think they'd all have been out.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, when Lorenzen's spot came up in the 10th...yes, we had Suarez on first, but there were two out. Hindsight is always 20/20, but I think they should've let Lorenzen bat there and saved Cruz for a situation more critical. There was a pretty good chance the Reds were going to need more than 1 hit to score that inning anyway. No need to fire your last bullet when you have someone like Lorenzen already there.

Votto with yet another base running gaff in the ninth by not tagging up and trying to score in the ninth with the pitcher up next. To be as talented as Votto, his base running skills and fielding decisions are highly suspect. Short bench hurt Reds last night as pitcher had to bat in last inning.

He's an airhead but isn't that on the 3rd base coach as much as Votto? I could even throw some blame on the manager for not reminding the coach of the situation.