Open Job: Oldham County

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a strong experienced coach with leadership would not get ran out. 7 coaches in 12 years. Seems to be a hiring problem. Maybe waiting on a quality coach this time. There’s not been 12 years worth of bad parents I would think. Trust is a big problem in any team when coaches turn over too much.

This is not just an OC issue. But the reason most coaches leave is because of parents. I find it hard to believe that they have hired 7 “weak” coaches in 12 years? Maybe just coaches that found it wasn’t worth it to put up with the issues.

In most places it is not worth it. But it is widely known among coaches that Oldham right now has been particularly hard on coaches. I would imagine several good options decided not to even put in an application because of it.

Oldham may appear to be hard on coaches, but that’s too easy of an answer. When looking at the group as a whole, they are very weak. By my count, only one prior coach has coached at a subsequent school. Larry Just. I don’t know if Dumstorf was a head coach anywhere else. And this goes back nearly 20 years. There have been a lot of “lazy” hires.

I don't know how "lazy" they have been in their hires. When Matt Jacobson hired the girl's head coach during his tenure as AD, it was the only person that applied. Hard to make home run hires, when you're intentionally walked. Maybe this time there is a fastball up in the zone that they can hit it out of the park, and stop being "lazy" with their hires.

Seger would not be good with that group.

I have made multiple hires at a Fortune 100 company. Just because only one person “applies”, doesn’t mean there are not any options. Often people “apply” for political purposes. Just as often some don’t apply because they don’t want it to get out that they were interested. A pro active, not reactive AD can get a qualified coach without taking the “next one on the pile.”

Every sports program at that school has been successful recently , except the Football program and girls basketball. It appears Football is heading in the right direction. Is girls b-ball going in the right direction, or was last years success simply an outlier because of a few kids.

As quoted to the kids from the AD, at least 22 people expressed interest and over 10 applied.