And the New Head Coach at Xavier Will Be.....

UKMustangFan

I was talking to someone who is very in tune with the college game and hiring process. One interesting point he mentioned was that being in the Big East Xavier has to pay around $2M or so for a head coach. You can't be paying coach $700K in the Big East if you want to be taken seriously.

Is Travis Steele worth $2M?

Are any of the guys being mention worth $2M, probably not.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise, you know how I feel about John. And so does he, for the record. Turned out to be 100% the right choice.

On a separate note, back to the point of the thread, I believe Xavier is at a very tenuous point, where a major back-slide is not only possible, but probably likely.

Interesting you say that because the one thing X has been able to do over the last 15-20 years is keep the cupboard loaded. Not many young kids play, but as they mature they start to contribute and are major contributors their last year. They get 4 year kids and have them play the X way.

Sounds like they may not have as full of a cupboard. I thought a kid like Walters was good because he would grow and be a contributor his Jr.Sr year. He still might. He is exactly the type of kid they recruit and develop as an example.

I was talking to someone who is very in tune with the college game and hiring process. One interesting point he mentioned was that being in the Big East Xavier has to pay around $2M or so for a head coach. You can't be paying coach $700K in the Big East if you want to be taken seriously.

Is Travis Steele worth $2M?

Oklahoma State plucked Brad Underwood, who I think is a very good coach) from Stephen F. Austin; however, they low balled him on the salary (because they had all the leverage). So after one season he immediately jumped to Illinois who paid him. Low ball Travis Steele (or anyone else who you find worthy of coaching your team) and you might find yourself looking for a new coach almost immediately.

Evan Daniels

‏Verified account @EvanDaniels

5m5 minutes ago

Dartmouth graduate transfer Evan Boudreaux just verbally committed to Purdue, a source tells @247Sports. Averaged over 17 points a game in his freshman & sophomore seasons.

Had been a Xavier commit before Mack left.