Officiating Accountability

atm10

I like the idea of having a guy in the back with HD big screen television on the reviews. Refs buzz him...he gives the answer. Back to action

Then we'd be complaining about the guy in the back with the big screen. :lol2:

I'm not downing all officials, but there are just too many bad calls in big games in my opinion. For example, I'm certainly no Duke fan but that block call that fouled Wendell Carter out is one of the worst calls of the season.

Even worse, is when they go to a 5-minute review and folks at home see 8 different angles of the play and it's extremely obvious which way the call should go...then the refs meet and rule it the other way after a 5-minute review.

I don't know what the solution is but something has to change.

I think the blocking call on Carter was a good call. As I have stated repeatedly in game threads throughout the tournament and the season, I hate the way charging is called in college. Yes, if you are saying most of the time in college that would have been a charge I would agree with you - and I would say it was called wrong if they called it a charge.

If both players plant their feet and the defender is squared up in front of the offensive player and the offensive player jumps to his right so he would miss the defensive player, the defensive player should not get to lean over and create the contact and draw a charge. That is what Carter did. He leaned his body over to make sure there was contact. If he had held his position there would not have been much if any contact because Newman jumped to his right to avoid the contact. That is the way charging and blocking should be called. When you set your feet in position you should not get to keep sliding or leaning to create contact. In college they let defenders lean and slide way too often and get charging calls.

218 NCAA Tournament: 1 officials selected to referee Final Four, title game - CBSSports.com

Here are the officials people will be yelling at this coming weekend and Monday! :lol:

Very solid group.

Glad to see Kipp Kissinger and Mike Roberts make it. I would rank Roberts in my Top 5 year in and year out.

Kipp is an up-and-comer with lots of potential.

I think the blocking call on Carter was a good call. As I have stated repeatedly in game threads throughout the tournament and the season, I hate the way charging is called in college. Yes, if you are saying most of the time in college that would have been a charge I would agree with you - and I would say it was called wrong if they called it a charge. If both players plant their feet and the defender is squared up in front of the offensive player and the offensive player jumps to his right so he would miss the defensive player, the defensive player should not get to lean over and create the contact and draw a charge. That is what Carter did. He leaned his body over to make sure there was contact. If he had held his position there would not have been much if any contact because Newman jumped to his right to avoid the contact. That is the way charging and blocking should be called. When you set your feet in position you should not get to keep sliding or leaning to create contact. In college they let defenders lean and slide way too often and get charging calls.
This is a prime example of why complaining about 99% of the refs calls is stupid. We can't even get everyone to agree with how a play should be called after watching it on replay 400 times. Wireman thinks the block call on Carter was one of the worst calls of the year (disclaimer: Wireman thinks every call is the worst of the year) and Voice of Reason thinks it was correct. Yet we expect the refs to get live action calls right every time.

Very solid group.

Glad to see Kipp Kissinger and Mike Roberts make it. I would rank Roberts in my Top 5 year in and year out.

Kipp is an up-and-comer with lots of potential.

I thought so too, and agree on Kipp

This is a prime example of why complaining about 99% of the refs calls is stupid. We can't even get everyone to agree with how a play should be called after watching it on replay 400 times. Wireman thinks the block call on Carter was one of the worst calls of the year (disclaimer: Wireman thinks every call is the worst of the year) and Voice of Reason thinks it was correct. Yet we expect the refs to get live action calls right every time.

This! Well said!