Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New extra-inning rule for Minor Leagues this year

Featured Replies

Minor League Baseball Kicks Up Dust With Changes To Extra Innings, Pitch Clocks : The Two-Way : NPR

 

Pitch clocks I can handle. Want to limit the number of mound visits? I'm fine with that. Putting a runner on base to start extra innings though, is just plain stupid. I've been a baseball fan all of my life. If MLB implements this, I may have to rethink following the sport at all.

I would start it in the 11th inning but I am all for it. Games are long enough as it is.

I'm not at all for this at the Major League level. However, I don't mind it in the minors. Team results don't matter at that level, it's all about player development. Most pitchers in the minors are on pretty strict inning/pitch limits. Long extra-inning games or a run of extra-inning games doesn't do anything to help that development. I'm sure the parent teams see it as protecting their investments.

I head home after 7th inning stretch, so don't matter to me.

Unless its World Series or playoffs, I'm done after 9. Just another game.

  • Author
I'm not at all for this at the Major League level. However, I don't mind it in the minors. Team results don't matter at that level, it's all about player development. Most pitchers in the minors are on pretty strict inning/pitch limits. Long extra-inning games or a run of extra-inning games doesn't do anything to help that development. I'm sure the parent teams see it as protecting their investments.

 

For the reasons you mentioned, I understand it in the minors. However, my solution would be just to have the game end after 11 innings then. Let the game be played the same way in extra innings the way it is in the previous 9. Having a maximum of 2 innings guarantees that your entire lineup gets an at-bat in either the 9th, 10th or 11th inning.

 

If this whole thing is being looked at as a "time saving" feature, what's next? Batters get into the box with a 1 ball, 1 strike count?

This is the sort of foolishness you get when people demand a winner. Just let them tie. It doesn’t matter until the postseason if there’s a winner.

 

Sometimes you don’t deserve to win.

This is the sort of foolishness you get when people demand a winner. Just let them tie. It doesn’t matter until the postseason if there’s a winner.

 

Sometimes you don’t deserve to win.

 

Says the soccer fan.

 

Games are meant to be won or lost. But average Joe had a good point. Minor league games are more like a scrimmage game. Really doesn’t matter.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen with baseball. I can't imagine any baseball fans think this is a good idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this has been an International Level softball rule that has pretty much reached all levels of that sport at this point. I am in agreement where I could see it in the minors because it is purely about development - but I don't know if I feel the same way about high school or college.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.