2A Classic set to launch in 2019

There is no good reason to have classification for cross country and track when you have sports like baseball and basketball that don't have classification. Those are individual sports where enrollment does not matter. There are classes in those sports to get more people involved thus bringing in more dollars at the gate when they host the state meet. A few years back they changed it for track to where the top 2 finishers in each region along with the next 10 best in the state all made it to the state meet. My nephew made it last year and it was very eye opening to how those sports have turned into the participation trophy league. There are so many runners that they do not even do preliminary and finals races anymore. You just run your heat and the best time out of all of the heats is the winner. Stuff like this is why I am against classification for anything other than football.

Track isn’t s team sport? Weird. I thought they awarded team state championships on track and cross country? When did this stop?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the article I feel the AD Tackett might not understand the significance for the sweet 16. But I feel this could be a good way of holding off the ones pushing for classification’s. Look at how it’s gone for Indiana.

Track isn’t s team sport? Weird. I thought they awarded team state championships on track and cross country? When did this stop?

They still do as far as I know but the real focus in those sports is individual performance. Unless you are on a relay I guess. My point is I think classification isn't necessary in those sports either.

They still do as far as I know but the real focus in those sports is individual performance. Unless you are on a relay I guess. My point is I think classification isn't necessary in those sports either.

It's just as necessary in those sports as it is in any other. In fact, in Track the "pool of athletes" is more important than basketball or baseball. You've got to have a very deep team to have a chance at winning a track state title.

Sure on the individual side of things it's not important. But for the team scoring it's incredibly important.

I have pondered over the years of a way to class basketball and still keep the integrity of the Sweet 16. Split schools into 4 classes like the old football model. Play regional tournaments in these classes (no need to have a district tournament). Play home and home with each team in your region class to seed tournament.

After each region champion is crowned play to a final 4 in each class (sectionals). Final four of each class advance to Sweet 16 and play class semifinals on Wednesday and Thursday. Class champions crowned on Fridays. Each class champion advances to overall semis on Saturday with winners playing on Sunday for overall state champion.

Thoughts??