2017 Gardner Law King of the Bluegrass

Another takeaway for me was that what this state may lack with an abundance of talented big men, the state is loaded with exceptional guards. In lieu of naming individual elite guards in the state, I will provide my top tandem of guards from teams that were there. There may be better individual guards that I fail to mention, but I am only picking three of the top backcourts I saw..............

Fern Creek's- MVP Anthony Wales & All-Tourney Ahmad Price form a dynamic duo that few guards can match in experience or # of wins over their careers as they each started in their freshmen seasons. This tandem is battle tested and come up big in crucial moments. I did not see a PG capable of being able to control the pace of a game or as quick to penetrate the lane creating either points for himself or shots for others than Wales. Price is simply relentless going to the rim while able to finish in traffic and rebounds better than any other guard I was able to see. Wales has signed at a D1 school and Price is going to land as well at that next level.

Covington Catholic's- All Tourney CJ Fredrick & All Tourney Aiden Ruthsatz represented NKY well in contrasting styles than the Fern Creek backcourt mates. CJ has a solid pull-up and 3 point shooting game that some may refer to as "old school" in a very complimentary way. He is an intense competitor who will battle to the end. Aiden is so efficient with his shots, it seems every 3 point shot is going to go in if he is left open. He makes his free throws and is surprisingly good with penetration as neither his size or speed sets him apart. He is so skilled and heady as a PG. CJ is headed to D1 Power 5 school and Aiden a strong D2 program.

Trinity's- All Tourney David Johnson & Sophomore Justin Powell are simply a load with their size and skill. Both can play PG or shooting guards as they excel in both with their elite shooting and ability to create with assists to follow. What is crazy to think is they will be better as they both have seasons to play after this. These two will go the highest level in college as Johnson was committed to U of L and Powell has multiple D1 major offers already.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic