How would you handle the protests?

ManOfTroy

There are players on every team now who are going to want to protest. If you were an owner or coaching staff, how would you handle it?

I like the stand that Jerry Jones has made--stand or you will be fired. It's his business, he makes the rules. I like what the Bengals did by standing together. I like what the Steelers did. They decided that they could not be 100% on either side, so they stayed in the locker room. When Villanueva decided that he HAD to stand for it, the team had so much respect for him and what he's done that they let him go and do it. I don't even mind the ones who do not stand because it is their right, however, I think it looks really bad to be sitting on the bench. At the least, line up on the sideline with everyone and take a knee there.

I'm an old guy so I would go the Jerry Jones route. What about you?

There are players on every team now who are going to want to protest. If you were an owner or coaching staff, how would you handle it?

I like the stand that Jerry Jones has made--stand or you will be fired. It's his business, he makes the rules. I like what the Bengals did by standing together. I like what the Steelers did. They decided that they could not be 100% on either side, so they stayed in the locker room. When Villanueva decided that he HAD to stand for it, the team had so much respect for him and what he's done that they let him go and do it. I don't even mind the ones who do not stand because it is their right, however, I think it looks really bad to be sitting on the bench. At the least, line up on the sideline with everyone and take a knee there.

I'm an old guy so I would go the Jerry Jones route. What about you?

Jerry Jones said he would "fire" (i.e. release) a player that protests. Please provide a link.

If I'm Dak, Dez, or Zeke I call his bluff. No way he's releasing those guys if they take a knee. Jerry is all talk. Always has been.

I have zero issue with what any of them are doing. I'm fine with them staying in the locker room, which is probably where this is all heading IMO, and I'm fine with those kneeling, standing, or sitting.

I'd discontinue the practice of playing the national anthem before games. It doesn't deserve to be the subject of all this and it's never made a lick of sense anyway.

This. I've never understood it.

It's either going to stop being played, or it'll be played while each team is in the locker room before game time. One of those are going to happen.

If I'm Dak, Dez, or Zeke I call his bluff. No way he's releasing those guys if they take a knee. Jerry is all talk. Always has been.

I have zero issue with what any of them are doing. I'm fine with them staying in the locker room, which is probably where this is all heading IMO, and I'm fine with those kneeling, standing, or sitting.

I looked and I can't find anything that said he said this. That would be up with the headlines in the news.

I have no problem with the players taking a knee. If I were the owner, however, I'd ask the players who take a knee to perform some type of community service (many already do) that would help better relations between minority groups and the police. Not only would I ask players to do so but I'd also be present and an active participant in the discussion/work.

You forget what state they are in?

Jerry Jones said he would "fire" (i.e. release) a player that protests. Please provide a link.

You are correct. I saw a quote yesterday that has been debunked. The Cowboys (Garrett and Jones) have made very strong statements that the anthem is sacred and their players have stood, so there is something there.

If you were them why would you do the bolded? Just to cause issues within your organization? Whether he is all talk or not you should respect your employer. Doesn't seem very smart to me.

Teams used to always be in the locker room room until the league partnered up with the military.