Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Does ESPN have a double standard when hosts speak out?

Does ESPN have a double standard when hosts speak out? 15 members have voted

  1. 1. Does ESPN have a double standard when hosts speak out?

    • Yes
      100%
    • No
      0%
      0

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

That makes no sense though. I'm a white guy. Have been since I was born I'm pretty certain.

 

White supremacists exist. I've seen them. I've met them. I've talked with them. I'll call them like I see them.

 

Doesn't mean I have hate in my heart for white people.

 

I understand what your saying 100%. She aint white and she has no proof whatsoever, its her opinion and a racist opinion. Ever since Trump won the media has been out to try to claim he is a racist. Which IMO is fake news.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That makes no sense though. I'm a white guy. Have been since I was born I'm pretty certain.

 

White supremacists exist. I've seen them. I've met them. I've talked with them. I'll call them like I see them.

 

Doesn't mean I have hate in my heart for white people.

 

And I may be completely wrong about her. Im not above admitting that.

I don't believe that a white employee at ESPN that tweeted "Barack Obama is a Blank Panther" would have received the same miniscule reprimand that Hill received, so yes double standard in my book.

 

No doubt about that.

I don't believe that a white employee at ESPN that tweeted "Barack Obama is a Blank Panther" would have received the same miniscule reprimand that Hill received, so yes double standard in my book.

 

So then maybe journalistic veracity is the standard. Using your example:

 

There's no evidence to support the notion that Barack Obama was ever a Black Panther. To suggest he was is therefore untrue and a dishonest journalist saying so would be fired.

 

There is ample evidence going back to his discriminatory housing complaints in the 1970s, scapegoating of black teenagers for urban violence in the 1980s, generalizations of Latino immigrants made during the campaign, and endless quest to discredit his predecessor by implying with zero evidence that a black guy with a weird name couldn't POSSIBLY be an American (well not a real American like you and me), to suggest that President Trump may, in fact, be a white supremacist. Assertion here made with at least some accuracy. No reckless disregard for the truth. Slap on the wrist for lack of good judgment.

So then maybe journalistic veracity is the standard. Using your example:

 

There's no evidence to support the notion that Barack Obama was ever a Black Panther. To suggest he was is therefore untrue and a dishonest journalist saying so would be fired.

 

There is ample evidence going back to his discriminatory housing complaints in the 1970s, scapegoating of black teenagers for urban violence in the 1980s, generalizations of Latino immigrants made during the campaign, and endless quest to discredit his predecessor by implying with zero evidence that a black guy with a weird name couldn't POSSIBLY be an American (well not a real American like you and me), to suggest that President Trump may, in fact, be a white supremacist. Assertion here made with at least some accuracy. No reckless disregard for the truth. Slap on the wrist for lack of good judgment.

 

To use any of that as "proof" that President Trump is a white supremacist is just ignorant.

There is no possible way one can look at the suspension of Linda Cohn and the lack of any discipline to Jemele Hill and not come to the conclusion that there is a double standard at ESPN.

To use any of that as "proof" that President Trump is a white supremacist is just ignorant.

 

And to ignore it is just willfully obtuse.

And to ignore it is just willfully obtuse.

 

Who said anything about ignoring it?

You dont just start calling someone a white supremacist and not have hate for white people. She called cops like slave patrols. Its not hard to figure out what her views are.

So if you call a black person a racist, like say Jemel Hill, does that mean you are a racist?

You dont just start calling someone a white supremacist and not have hate for white people. She called cops like slave patrols. Its not hard to figure out what her views are.

 

Her calling him a white supremacist makes her racist? How does that work?

There is no possible way one can look at the suspension of Linda Cohn and the lack of any discipline to Jemele Hill and not come to the conclusion that there is a double standard at ESPN.

Now that is a good example of ESPN having a double standard. No way they can defend suspending Cohn and doing nothing to Hill.

Where is the proof that Trump is a white supremacist? If she can offer that up then she should prove it. Until then she needs to do sports and not her personal biased opinion on TV.

 

I didn't say he was a white supremacist, but there are things that absolutely could paint him as a racist. Denying that is irresponsible.

 

Would you want her to shut up about her personal opinion if you agreed with what she was saying?

Now that is a good example of ESPN having a double standard. No way they can defend suspending Cohn and doing nothing to Hill.

 

I had heard it, but after this thread I looked into her suspension more. Ridiculous. Her comments weren't worthy of any disciplinary action. Nothing out of line in the slightest.

So if you call a black person a racist, like say Jemel Hill, does that mean you are a racist?

 

No, that's different. He has black friends.

I think the bigger issue is she basically called anyone who voted for President Trump a racist/white-supremacist. A lot of those folks make up the ESPN viewership. That's a big mistake IMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.