Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

13th Region ?????

Featured Replies

Mark Conley is a capable scoring and rebounding forward. Matt Gilbert will probably see a lot of PT as a freshman guard, and may even start. He's going to be a stud. Casey Hamm is a super athlete and could be a solid player if he set his mind to it. Billy Jones could also emerge as a key player, as could Phillip Hibbard.

 

The Cardinals have a lot of underclassmen talent that just hasn't had an opportunity other than mop-up time the last few years, plus they've been hardened by having to deal with Proffitt, Hammonds, Smith, Fields, Allen, etc., in practice the past few years.

 

 

You left out probably a very important player. The St. John kid (freshman) will be looked out as well this year. He could see alot of playing time, especially if Hibbard doesn't pan out.

  • Replies 62
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You left out probably a very important player. The St. John kid (freshman) will be looked out as well this year. He could see alot of playing time, especially if Hibbard doesn't pan out.

 

Man.......................I thought Matthew was going to come to Corbin. ;) Do you really expect him to be able to contribute this year? I know that he has good size and some skills, but it is a big jump from middle school to the varsity level.

He plyed varsity at North Laurel last season and yes, he will see playing time. Lots of playing time. He averaged 1.3 points a game and hit some key three-pointers for the Jags last year.

He plyed varsity at North Laurel last season and yes, he will see playing time. Lots of playing time. He averaged 1.3 points a game and hit some key three-pointers for the Jags last year.

 

I was talking about Matthew St John playing varsity.

Ohhhh, yeah, I expect South to try and play him and he'll clog up the middle. How much playing time? I'm not sure, but I expect to see him play a lot. Maybe not so much early, but as the season progresses.

I dont see how after this year SL would have the upper hand. With all due respect, you do know the team a lot better than me. But I watched SL on a few occasions last year, and I really thought they were basically a 4 player team with not much else. And this year past Smith, Proffit, and Hammonds what do they have?

 

I would expect the following players to get most of the minutes for South:

 

1. Proffit

2. Hammonds

3. Smith

4. Conley

5. Hamm

6. Gilbert

7. Jones

8. Hibbard

You left out probably a very important player. The St. John kid (freshman) will be looked out as well this year. He could see alot of playing time, especially if Hibbard doesn't pan out.

 

Good call; I forgot about him. That kid just keeps on growing.

Thanks. I know a lot of people like his size and he does keep growing. He'll help south out this year.

I do think that SL is the solid favorite this year, but I would imagine next year they wont be so solid on top. I think once they lose Hammonds, Profit, and Smith there will be a little bit of a drop off. Thats just my opinion.

I had a chance this summer to see several of the 13th Region area teams in action. South does have the upper hand this year, but I think next year you are going to see a more balenced out region. But lets focus on this year. South was one of the teams I saw play this summer, and I really was not that impressed with them. I saw them lose to Cordia or Buckhorn, I forget which. Their jv team had two different coaches this summer. They played great for one coach and seemed as if they really liked him, and the other I saw players getting into arguments with him. Like a situation of who is the kids here? Those jv guys will have to step up for them in order for them to reign this year. I do agree with you Log Mountain Boy, they seem to be a three man team, and what happens if one of those three were to go down to injury? I believe with Goins back and another Whitaker playing varsity, I think Bell has a shot to push them, not saying they will beat them, but I know Whitaker will have his guys ready to play if they meet in March

I had a chance this summer to see several of the 13th Region area teams in action. South does have the upper hand this year, but I think next year you are going to see a more balenced out region. But lets focus on this year. South was one of the teams I saw play this summer, and I really was not that impressed with them. I saw them lose to Cordia or Buckhorn, I forget which. Their jv team had two different coaches this summer. They played great for one coach and seemed as if they really liked him, and the other I saw players getting into arguments with him. Like a situation of who is the kids here? Those jv guys will have to step up for them in order for them to reign this year. I do agree with you Log Mountain Boy, they seem to be a three man team, and what happens if one of those three were to go down to injury? I believe with Goins back and another Whitaker playing varsity, I think Bell has a shot to push them, not saying they will beat them, but I know Whitaker will have his guys ready to play if they meet in March

 

No, Bell won't. One team last year played them tight, and that is because that team had a group of players play above their heads, and they had a fantastic game plan.

 

Unless BellCo hired Dinky and got a whole bunch of talent come in, it's not gonna happen.

 

Ty Proffitt was hindered by a groin injury most of the summer; and AAU is a pretty poor judge of how a team's gonna do most of the time.

 

Corbin is the only team I see with a chance of giving SL trouble, and that's because Crawford is a fantastic player who is capable of carrying a team. Bell has no one like that.

I do think that SL is the solid favorite this year, but I would imagine next year they wont be so solid on top. I think once they lose Hammonds, Profit, and Smith there will be a little bit of a drop off. Thats just my opinion.

 

They'll drop off a bit, but not to a degree that they won't be among the top three contenders in '08. There is talent underneath the big three.

Whitaker didn't play well in the regional, but he's a very talented player who I think is comparable to Crawford. I believe Bell has the best shot at playing with South Laurel.

Whitaker didn't play well in the regional, but he's a very talented player who I think is comparable to Crawford. I believe Bell has the best shot at playing with South Laurel.

 

Whitaker's only weakness in the past has been his outside shooting, but he is a very good all-around player who also plays extremely hard. I know that Bell returns Zachary, Goins and the two Whitakers, but who else will start or see extended playing time?

 

Bell Co. should be the #2 team in the region with their shortcomings against South Laurel being a lack of consistent outside shooting and not much bulk inside(unless Slusher plays).

They'll drop off a bit, but not to a degree that they won't be among the top three contenders in '08. There is talent underneath the big three.

 

I agree with that. I just dont see SL being the undisputed favorite they have been last year and this year.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.